Search results broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmccullough

Patron
For now, just use the search box on the right that runs through Threadloom. Rather than pouring resources into fixing this, we're looking at making the transition to Xenforo 2 which claims to have fixed search issues. Sorry for the trouble!

@JoshDW19 can you be more specific or provide an image? Is this the search you are referring to:
FreeNAS Forums Search.jpg

When I use the search widget in the upper-right, the results are still sometimes broken:
FreeNAS Forums Search Results.jpg

JustinClift

Patron
Just tested the search results here... and for me they're still broken. 100% reproducible too.

It's easy to reproduce, so I'll give the steps here.

1. After logging in (as I haven't tested today when not logged in), type "Mellanox" into the simple search field in the top right area (under the username info).
2. This will show a page of results to do with "Mellanox". The search results here all work. eg middle clicking a result will open it in a new tab, and the new tab loads the correct page.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the search results page, and go to page "2" of the results (or any page after the first).
4. Although the search results on this page look ok, none of the links are correct. Middle clicking any of them just opens a page which never loads (eg blank page).

It seems like the generated url for search result pages after the first one are wonky, so gives blank pages. Maybe some template page needs tweaking?

Hopefully that's useful for getting it fixed, as it's been annoying for a long time. ;)

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that is if I refresh the search results page it regenerates all the links correctly every single time.

JustinClift

Patron
Hey yeah, you're right.

Following my above steps, all of the busted links on (say) page 2 get fixed if the page is reloaded (using Firefox if that makes a difference). The links go from the busted type to fixed.

For an example, using the first item on the 2nd page of search results.
Title: "FreeNAS networking, 'interfaces', MTU setting, fixed IP and reliability."
Initial URL (broken): https://forums.freenas.org/posts/491010 <-- doesn't work
After reloading the page, the URL becomes https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?posts/491010 <-- works

Another side effect of reloading the page - this one negative though - is that the page numbers at the bottom no longer work. eg It's not possible to move to the next page of results

It really does seem like some kind of weird template problem. :(

I'm using Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit) and the page numbers do not break for me.

The only thing I dislike about it now working is the inability to refine or sort the search results after you have run the search. Just running the advanced search from the beginning pretty much resolves that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.