Is this LSI card authentic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garm

Wizard
Well the one from Newegg is branded LSI and the Hong Kong cards aren’t ^^ so they are copies. Some people run them without issue, others warn about them. My own opinion are that if they survive burn-in they are probably fine. ZFS will tell you if they break.

If you could get serial numbers from the seller I've heard of people contacting LSI to confirm them probably the only way to get a real answer (though technically they could give you any number they can think up). I've also heard of some LSI OEM cards not having their branding on them, I personally would just order the newegg one if i get a counterfeit from them it's a lot easier to get it corrected.

trilepton

Dabbler
Yeah, I actually found an authentic card (with LSI logo) on eBay from a US based seller. It was cheaper than newegg so I went with that one.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I see the following HBA card on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS200...s-HBA-PCI-E-RAID-Controller-Card/122432373851

It's significantly cheaper than other sites (e.g. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118112).

Although I'm not familiar with HBA/RAID cards and I don't have any concrete reasons, I'm suspicious that it might not be an authentic card. Any clues to support or disprove this?
I know that you already decided, but for anyone else that finds this later, the card you looked at on eBay could have come from the same assembly line that makes the actual LSI card, the difference being that it may have been made for another company as an OEM component. There are many companies that deliver that card with installed in their server including IBM.

trilepton

Dabbler
I know that you already decided, but for anyone else that finds this later, the card you looked at on eBay could have come from the same assembly line that makes the actual LSI card, the difference being that it may have been made for another company as an OEM component. There are many companies that deliver that card with installed in their server including IBM.

Thanks for the info. I did receive the LSI branded card and comparing it to the picture of the original eBay listing in question, it has the same circuitry and packaging. So I think it's likely that it's an OEM component for another company as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.