A few forum suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It never ceases to amaze me that each new messaging technology "discovers" the "spam" problem, and then it takes lots of effort to reinvent the wheels already invented elsewhere.

Keyword based spam filtering is so 1993. It doesn't work, never has. And whatever you're using managed to "flag" one of my messages a few days ago for "moderation", despite my having been on this forum since its inception, with over a hundred posts under my belt, which should have contributed a very strong non-spam component to any scoring that's going on, which suggests that either there's no scoring in use, or it is kind of primitive. Which brings me back to ... sigh, why does every new technology seem to think its problems haven't been solved before.

sunflashx

Dabbler
I was having an terrible problem with spam bots on a forum I run.

This Captcha tool was able to completely block bad registrations for me. It's a step up from the normal run of the mill Human identifying tools used on forums that I've ever seen.

https://www.keycaptcha.com/

sunflashx

Dabbler
They weren't originally, but I think now they are moving in the direction of including some sort of marketing propaganda in the captcha images.

As far as me and my message forum goes, they can have their marketing if it keeps the spam bots away. :) Lesser of two evils, that bot crap was a damn nightmare.

sunflashx

Dabbler
Also, another motivating factor for that captcha tool, is the coding they supply worked right out of the box. I followed their directions for my forums software and like 10 minutes later I was bot free.

I went through a dozen other half baked forums packages before I found that one. Most of them I couldn't even get to work at all. If I was a web developer it probably wouldn't have been an issue, but I'm not.

Timothyier

Cadet
I just wanted to reiterate what some other color themes would be very nice to have. The background white'ish is hell in my eyes after a while '(in combination with any other I use white screens). Some dark gray with a different color, orange / yellow / black, perhaps, or blue? Perhaps like my profile page, but perhaps a darker gray?

ProtoSD

MVP
In case anyone else has noticed, the forums seem to be having problems posting, creating, replying to messages over the last several days. I've had trouble with it telling me my posts are empty or missing a subject or recipient, or my message is less than 10 characters and not letting me post or reply to PM's. I've also seen posts with other people having problems posting. The lack of the editing tools was bad enough (hint hint), I hope someone can take a look at this soon.

ProtoSD

MVP
Ok, this is getting *REALLY* bleepin damn annoying! It's pure luck if I can post or reply to anything here without it telling me my post is too short and clearing everything I just wrote!! Grrrrr...

EDIT: It seems like when you start to reply or post it "Auto Saves" what you've started to type. Even if you click on "Cancel" it doesn't clear the buffered content, which is probably less than 10 characters. I've even tried logging out and back in, then going to a post I was trying to reply to and it still has the "AutoSaved" content!!

EDIT-2: Even if you start a completely new thread, there some "AutoSaved" content that exists that can't be cleared and it won't let you post! I've also tried another browser and the same thing happens....

As you can see though, I can edit older posts and add content.

andrewg

Cadet
I have just struggled with the "too short" problem myself. My post in question started with "I'm". When I changed that to "I am" it worked! The interesting thing was a post or two above mine started with "I'm". There were several other contractions in my post that were OK. Very weird and frustrating. Hopefully this will work...

J

James

Yes, the sysadmin is trying to figure out what is causing the problem.

ProtoSD

MVP
12345678901234567890 Arrrrrrgghhhhh!!! I'm TRYING TO POST MORE....

I have just struggled with the "too short" problem myself. My post in question started with "I'm". When I changed that to "I am" it worked! The interesting thing was a post or two above mine started with "I'm". There were several other contractions in my post that were OK. Very weird and frustrating. Hopefully this will work...

Andrew is right I started a post with You re and it wouldn t let me post. I changed it to You are and it worked. I m not sure that is the only thing that is causing problems, but it s a good start. It doesn t like quotation marks.

The Cancel button at the bottom of replying to a post doesn t seem to work. The autosave doesn t seem to clear or update after it s initial save.

I just had to remove ALL the quotation marks just to get this message to post, even when editing it after the initial 012345678901234567890.

paleoN

Wizard
Anyone else think it would be helpful if the FreeNAS people had special designations saying as much? Perhaps William & others wouldn't have to repeat themselves as much. Then again...

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Any iX/FreeNAS people who want special titles can ask for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.