TrueNAS 13.0-U6 is Now Available

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Davvo

MVP
Almost boring update, downloaded it yesterday and tried to apply today: got a https timeout error or something similar; refreshed the page, applied again, the download and installing process executed as expected. No apparent issues rn.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Last edited:

awasb

Patron
Installed without a single hickup on the test systems over here.

Grid21

Dabbler
I have a question, 1. How do I update, and why does it ask me to save Secret Keys, and 2. I noticed a link that reads "Before updating, please read the release notes." and then takes me to talking about "Nightly" build updates. So is this a dev update? Or a full stable update that's ready for production?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. It asks you to save your current configuration and if you want to save any secret keys with that.
2. Bug, the link to the release notes is wrong. See here.
3. Apart from that it's a stable supported release.

Palladio

Cadet
I updated my system today with this, and it went smoothly.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Awesome, thank you for that info!
Man, that's a really nasty bug. Now I'm worried... :oops:

Apparently, it's been reproduced even with Open ZFS 2.1.13. So it doesn't only affect 2.2.0. Block-cloning, while not the cause of the problem itself, seems to trigger the conditions for the bug to more likely occur. (It still occurs in 2.1.13, which lacks block-cloning.)

The "fix" for 2.2.1 is simply to disable the Block-Reference Table by default. (It's more like a temporary safeguard until they can truly fix the bug.)

There's a lot of discussion going on in that bug report. (Still ongoing, as of an hour ago.) It makes me feel uneasy that using a stable version of ZFS can silently corrupt your data.

They believe it might be the way coreutils works with ZFS. Yet, it was reproduced on FreeBSD 14.

What the heck happened?

Grid21

Dabbler
Can anyone give instructions about updating and what to do when asked about saving secret keys? I want to do this update correctly and not lose anything.

A "reproducer" script was created in the discussion by Tony Hunter.

You can test it yourself in a temporary, junk folder. It's meant to be run in parallel (4 at once) to try to trigger the bug.

Here is his post for reference:

Apparently, someone was able to consistently reproduce the bug on TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.3, ZFS 2.1.11.

I might spin this up myself. Tomorrow might not be feasible though.

This type of bug in ZFS really worries me.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

You can test it yourself in a temporary, junk folder. It's meant to be run in parallel (4 at once) to try to trigger the bug.

Apparently, someone was able to consistently reproduce the bug on TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.3, ZFS 2.1.11.

We'll investigate.. but so far we don't have confirmation of a real issue in TrueNAS.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor

Yes, it is a very nasty bug, and all of a sudden I'm now also scared for my data, after having read to the current end of the comments in that Github issue, because my system matches one that reproduced the problem (zfs-2.1.11-1).

We'll investigate.. but so far we don't have confirmation of a real issue in TrueNAS.
Is there any potential mitigation you'd recommend at this point? ZFS developers on that issue talk about setting zfs_dmu_offset_next_sync to 0 as their current best guess to avoid the problem entirely, and I'm guessing on FreeBSD that translates into setting the vfs.zfs.dmu_offset_next_sync sysctl variable to 0.

Is that correct? Is that something you recommend? Or is there a reason we may not want to mess with that sysctl variable?

Thank you in advance!