Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Seems like a big potential for issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Very true, I'm certain there will be issues. I'm looking at this product as being a stepping stone between the old and new GUI systems. Some people like myself will stick with the old GUI why playing with the new GUI. Other folks will do all they can to stick with the new GUI. It's going to take a while for this old dog to learn new tricks, the same reason I am resisting using Win10 on my main computer. Of course I really just dislike the UI for Win10 but that is an Off Topic discussion.

carlos juan

Dabbler
Very true, I'm certain there will be issues. I'm looking at this product as being a stepping stone between the old and new GUI systems. Some people like myself will stick with the old GUI why playing with the new GUI. Other folks will do all they can to stick with the new GUI. It's going to take a while for this old dog to learn new tricks, the same reason I am resisting using Win10 on my main computer. Of course I really just dislike the UI for Win10 but that is an Off Topic discussion.
I love win10 UI and wouldn't want to go back to earlier windows UI. You don't like, you can choose something else. That's the beauty of diversity. :)

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

raidflex

Guru
I love win10 UI and wouldn't want to go back to earlier windows UI. You don't like, you can choose something else. That's beauty of diversity. :)

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I am still not sure why the jail system has to be different between the two UI's. Unless IOCAGE is not really ready for release, in which case it should not even be implemented into a stable build.

bestboy

Contributor
I don't think it has to do with iocage not being stable. I believe this is mainly a question of efforts and how to invest development time.
The old UI was build to use the warden API. The new UI was build to use the iocage API.

Given that warden and the old UI is EOL and will be replaced soon, it simply does not make sense to invest efforts in making
a) the old UI to support the new way with iocage and
b) the new UI to support the old way with warden

So I assume as soon as the warden migration stuff is ready, the old UI is dropped. Then we will just have the new UI dealing with iocage jails (either migrated from warden or fresh ones).
The only question to me is "how long is this transition period going to be?"

raidflex

Guru
While that does make sense, if that is the case then this should not be updated until all components are ready and there is a migration process in place. So that when the update is applied it migrates the jails and applies the new UI. Now if migration is not possible, then this would make things more difficult. Although a warning could be displayed and prevent the user from updating until all old jails have been removed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am still not sure why the jail system has to be different between the two UI's. Unless IOCAGE is not really ready for release, in which case it should not even be implemented into a stable build.
It boils down to this: The old UI and new UI use different interfaces. Iocage is mostly/exclusively operating with the new interface.

Agent Special

Dabbler
Hello all! I'm still "Stuck" with Corral. The reason why, Docker.
I know, I known I have to move on, I'm just waiting to have docker support (like in Corral) in 11 to migrate. Is there a timeline available for that, is in FreeNAS 11.1?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Inxsible

Guru
Hello all! I'm still "Stuck" with Coral. The reason why, Docker.
I know, I known I have to move on, I'm just waiting to have docker support ( like in coral ) in 11 to migrate. Is theire a time lime available for that, is in Freenas 11.1?

Thanks
As posted earlier in the thread, it's been moved to 11.2. Even that is not a guarantee. It never is until the time it is released.

Scampicfx

Contributor
It means that everyone just gave up on the insanity and the approach now is to trust that LSI/Broadcom/Avago won't introduce significant incompatibilities in either end. SAS2 is no longer in active development, so the most recent versions follow whatever stupid rule is needed. For SAS3, keep the firmware updated.

Dear Ericloewe,

thanks for your reply! I just checked the Avago Website.

screeny.JPG

https://www.broadcom.com/support/download-search/?pg=Storage+Adapters,+Controllers,+and+ICs&pf=SAS/SATA/NVM<span+class=no-uppercase>e</span>+Host+Bus+Adapters&pn=SAS+9300-8i+Host+Bus+Adapter&po=&pa=&dk=

So, when I get it correctly, Firmware P15 IT is the recommended one right now?

EDIT: I just noticed that Supermicro is hosting the P15 IT firmware on their FTP server. Here is a link:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/

So in case anyone wants to update their onboard SAS 3008 HBAs, I would recommend to download the firmware directly from Supermicro. I just compared the download-packages of Broadcom and Supermicro and the one of Supermicro is much more handy and has even some sort of autoinstaller .bat. So, especially for people who are unsure how to flash properly, the .bat-file included in the supermicro download package might be helpful!

Code:
@echo off
sas3flsh -o -e 7
cls
sas3flsh -f 3008IT15.rom
sas3flsh -b mptsas3.rom
sas3flsh -b mpt3x64.rom
cls
sas3flsh -o -sasaddhi 5003048

Last edited:

yottabit

Contributor
@Kris Moore The backup to cloud providers sounds great. From the list of providers there is no open source solution high-lighted. Would you consider adding something like OpenStack Swift to the supported backup solutions? If you need an OpenStack Swift cluster to test against, I'd be happy to provide resources and any help/guidance.

Also re. Cloud Sync and such... really awesome that you've added Google Cloud Storage (GCS)! So does this mean that Google Storage Utils (gsutil) is now installed in the base system?

How does Cloud Sync work exactly? The documentation isn't very discrete, only highlighting a "push" and a "pull" function.

For GCS I push nightly backups via a jail using gsutil's rsync. I also have object versioning turned on in my GCS bucket, so all changes to files, and removed files, will be preserved in case of worst-case failure (specifically keeping in mind viruses and corruption that could be propagated to my GCS bucket).

I would love to see the GCS options include a flag to turn object versioning on/off, and to specify whether to use 'gsutil cp' or 'gsutil rsync', and allow for providing flags to both.

Here is my github project with the GCS jail deployment script and gsutil rsync task.

https://github.com/yottabit42/gsutil-jail

Last edited:

styno

Patron
It looks like Cloud Sync is using rclone. I took it for a spin on RC1 and it backed up the dataset to Backblaze B2 with only a few clicks.
I am extremely pleased with that after al the Crashplan shenanigans.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It looks like Cloud Sync is using rclone.
Sure looks like it--it's installed, anyway, at /usr/local/bin/rclone.

yottabit

Contributor
Interesting. I took a look at the rclone webpage. Cool that it supports so many different protocols and APIs. I will take it for a spin with some test data, but at first glance it doesn't seem to provide some of the options I'm using with Google Cloud Storage, e.g., parallelized transfers for fast network connections, specific ways to restrict to metadata calls only to avoid incurring significant sync cost in coldline buckets, etc.

danb35

Hall of Famer
parallelized transfers for fast network connections
Not sure about the others, but it definitely supports this--I believe the default is four transfers at a time.

Artion

Patron
I think the new UI and iocage is there not as a finished product but as a tech preview so that it can be tested without comprimising the functional system.

Inviato dal mio A8 utilizzando Tapatalk

xCatalystx

Contributor
I haven't played with iocage much but does it have any inbuilt functionality to keep jails up to date? this was one of my gripes with warden (which I solved mostly with custom scripts).

While I have moved some things docker images (some on hub, some custom built of alpine) I just find some things easier to do natively and jails is the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

NickF

Guru
This is great news! If someone dives into the beta please report, i'd like to hear all about it :D
I get this message on two differant machines. OPne running 11.0 U3 and one running 11.0U4, both on STABLE train

Zwck

Patron
I get this message on two differant machines. OPne running 11.0 U3 and one running 11.0U4, both on STABLE train

I guess you quoted the wrong person, but i think you can circumvent this error message when updating from the beta UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.