FreeNAS 11.1 is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
FreeNAS 11.1 Now Available!

The FreeNAS Development Team is excited and proud to present FreeNAS 11.1! FreeNAS 11.1 adds cloud integration, OpenZFS performance improvements, including the ability to prioritize resilvering operations, and preliminary Docker support to the world’s most popular software-defined storage operating system. This release includes an updated preview of the beta version of the new administrator graphical user interface, including the ability to select display themes. This post provides a brief overview of the new features.

The base operating system has been updated to the STABLE version of FreeBSD 11.1, which adds new features, updated drivers, and the latest security fixes. Support for Intel® Xeon® Scalable Family processors, AMD Ryzen processors, and HBA 9400-91 has been added.

FreeNAS 11.1 adds a cloud sync (data import/export to the cloud) feature. This new feature lets you sync (similar to backup), move (erase from source), or copy (only changed data) data to and from public cloud providers that include Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Services), Backblaze B2 Cloud, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure.

OpenZFS has noticeable performance improvements for handling multiple snapshots and large files. Resilver Priority has been added to the Storage screen of the graphical user interface, allowing you to configure resilvering at a higher priority at specific times. This helps to mitigate the inherent challenges and risks associated with storage array rebuilds on very large capacity drives.

FreeNAS 11.1 adds preliminary Docker container support, delivered as a VM built from RancherOS. This provides a mechanism for automating application deployment inside containers and a graphical tool for managing Docker containers. Please report any issues you encounter when beta testing this feature to assist the development team in improving it for the next major release of FreeNAS.

Finally, there are updates to the new Angular-based administrative GUI, including the addition of several themes. The FreeNAS team expects the new administrative GUI to achieve parity with the current one for the FreeNAS 11.2 release. To see a preview of the new GUI, click the BETA link on the login screen. Here is an example of the new GUI’s main dashboard, with the available themes listed in the upper right corner.

freenas-11.1-photo.png

To discuss the new GUI, use this thread: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-gui-suggestions-and-discussion-thread.58815/

To download FreeNAS 11.1 RELEASE and sign-up for the FreeNAS Newsletter, visit freenas.org/download.

The FreeNAS Development Team

Retrieved and adapted from: http://www.freenas.org/blog/freenas-11-1-release/

Last edited by a moderator:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Great work, great progress!

IceBoosteR

Guru
Nice, finally it is available! ;)

scrappy

Patron
I upgraded my servers from 11.0-U4 to 11.1 and both upgrades went off without a hitch. Great job FreeNAS team!

bestboy

Contributor
Can we get some information about what happens to the Warden jails on update? IIRC there is an update script. Can the devs please explain what it does? Is it converting Warden jails to iocage jails by exchanging the file content in the jails? If yes, is it applied automatically by the installer and are there backups? Or is the script doing a kill-update by restoring the user content of the Warden jail in a new iocage jail? How is the user content identified? ...

amiskell

Patron
Can we get some information about what happens to the Warden jails on update? IIRC there is an update script. Can the devs please explain what it does? Is it converting Warden jails to iocage jails by exchanging the file content in the jails? If yes, is it applied automatically by the installer and are there backups? Or is the script doing a kill-update by restoring the user content of the Warden jail in a new iocage jail? How is the user content identified? ...

Warden to iocage migration was pushed back to 11.2. 11.1 doesn't touch your existing jails.

However, any jail created in the legacy interface is still warden based and any jail created in the new interface is iocage based.

bestboy

Contributor
Aww... really? I didn't realize it was moved to 11.2. Last time I heard about it, it was moved from 11.0 to 11.1...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Iocage should be working in the new GUI in 11.1, but Warden is sticking around in the old GUI until 11.2.

huck

Cadet
No luv upgrading to 11.1, any suggestions or directions?
Code:
Request Method:	POST
Request URL:	https://nas/system/update/check/?uuid=0b47e365ad7a4ecba571a66c5fdc370c
Software Version:	FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Exception Type:	MiddlewareError
Exception Value:	

[MiddlewareError: b'base-os']

Exception Location:	./freenasUI/system/views.py in update_check, line 1375
Server time:	Sun, 17 Dec 2017 06:19:35 -0800
Traceback

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: https://nas/system/update/check/?uuid=0b47e365ad7a4ecba571a66c5fdc370c

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  39.			 response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.			 response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.			 response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  162.		 return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.				 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/system/views.py" in update_check
  1375.				 raise MiddlewareError(handler.error)

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /system/update/check/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b'base-os']

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Awesome work guys - upgraded without a problem! lots to love about this release (cloud backup, Docker, new UI, iocage).

Thanks for all the hard work!

Mark

IceBoosteR

Guru
Iocage should be working in the new GUI in 11.1, but Warden is sticking around in the old GUI until 11.2.
Is it now fully supported to move from warden to iocage with 11.1? Is there any disadvantage? I am happy with warden right now ;)

IceBoosteR

Guru
Just saw the "information/warning" in the docs, as I could be able to move all my jails during christmas holidays from old to new. But when it is not supported, I will leave it as it is....

OBRI

Dabbler

Junicast

Patron
Did the update yesterday. Some problems that were in RC3 are actually resolved, thank you.
Did someone stumble over the problem that a bhyve guest does not actually restart when I ask it to?
I have a couple of Fedora guests running and every time I give the reboot order I have to connect via VNC otherwise it doesn't boot.
When I connect via VNC I see some screen that vanishes so fast I just can't see what it shows and then I land in grub menu. I don't have to press any buttons then but I HAVE to connect via VNC. Really annoying.

danb35

Hall of Famer

SnorreSelmer

Explorer
This is fantastic news! I missed Docker support after "that other FreeNAS version" was scrapped, and the new UI looks really good! Keep up the stellar work (but please spend this holiday season relaxing with friends and family to charge up for the new year)!

Architct

Cadet
Unlike in the RC's for 11.1, the sonewconn kernel warning is back every 4 seconds.

Code:
...kernel: sonewconn: pcb ...: Listen queue overflow: 151 already in queue awaiting acceptance (## occurrences)

This despite having the suggested kern.ipc.soacceptqueue and kern.ipc.somaxconn as Tunables.

Any further guidance on this prevalent issue?

Found the problem; great work!

Last edited:

appoli

Dabbler
Found an “issue”, wondering if others have experienced this:

In previous releases of 11.1 (beta/RC) warden jails were upgraded to FreeBSD 11.1. Now with the release version of FreeNAS 11.1 the warden jails seemed to have downgraded to FreeBSD 11.0. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

qlx309

Dabbler
I'm currently running FreeNAS-11.1-RC1. To upgrade to FreeNAS 11.1 mentioned in this post do I change the update server from "FreeNAS 11-Nightlies" to "FreeNAS-11-STABLE"?

Is this the correct way to upgrade to the new version mentioned in this post? This will be my first upgrade so just want to check...

Status
Not open for further replies.