FreeNAS 9.2.1.6-RC is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

G Brown

Dabbler
It is the web-gui: > Sharing > Apple > Add Apple Share > checkboxes at the lower part of the pop-up window.

Oh, figured I could upload a jpg of the screen clip.:)

Attachments

• defprivs.jpg
    defprivs.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 392

toadman

Guru
What about merging Samba 4.1.9?

With all the issues in the 9.2.1.x branch, it seems insane for iX to merge new code into a RELEASE with little to no testing. (I don't know the 4.1.9 changes, so it's a general point.) If they did merge it I would expect an RC2 at a bare minimum.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just talked to jkh... 4.1.9 was officially committed about 15 minutes ago.

J

jkh

With all the issues in the 9.2.1.x branch, it seems insane for iX to merge new code into a RELEASE with little to no testing. (I don't know the 4.1.9 changes, so it's a general point.) If they did merge it I would expect an RC2 at a bare minimum.

Security vulnerabilities always merit a special response, so yes, we have merged 4.1.9 and yes, we are doing an RC2. :)

solarisguy

Guru
@toadman, I am seeing Samba 4.1.9 as a fix, not as a new feature. The same with Netatalk 3.1.2 and other changes, except for:
  • A new VirtualBox jail template
  • A new mpr driver, officially sanctioned by LSI, for the LSI 12 Gbps SAS HBA
  • An experimental in-kernel iSCSI target
  • A .usb file which can be imaged to a USB key. This can be used for installing FreeNAS from a USB key

However, none of these four can be seen as impacting the core functionality.

On the other hand, I would rather see 9.2.1.7, than staying at 9.2.1.6 with unresolved 9.2.1.x level bugs and waiting for a stable release in 9.3 series, as 9.3-RELEASE will introduce many new features, so getting it stabilized might take a very long time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh gawd, 9.2.1.7...
Oh gawd...

Here's hoping the new update model will allow bugfixes without the stigma of point releases.

Yatti420

Wizard
At least updates haven't been broken upon release in the last few vers.. Keep up the good work as always

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Sir.Robin

Guru
I think we all have seen the version jokes already.

I think it is great that they do these updates and fixes all the bugs that come crawling.
Just look at the fix list!!

Looking forward to the rc2 and the later 9.2.1.6 rel.
:)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Cosmo_Kramer

Contributor
I think we all have seen the version jokes already.

I think it is great that they do these updates and fixes all the bugs that come crawling.
Just look at the fix list!!

Looking forward to the rc2 and the later 9.2.1.6 rel.
:)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

I'm with you on that. If they're fixing bugs, then let them keep releasing versions. After all, it is free software, so why complain that it is being maintained?

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I just looked at the 9.2.1.6 team bugs list and my eyes are playing tricks on me, there is nothing listed. It looks like all the submitted bugs have been fixed/addressed. I would expect RC2 to come out very soon? Tonight maybe?

Milkwerm

Dabbler
Joe, from the last bug closed "Please install RC2 when it is released later tonight (PDT)." (3 hours ago). So to: download.freenas.org *F5* *F5* *F5* etc etc ........... :D

RAurelian

Dabbler
I'm with you on that. If they're fixing bugs, then let them keep releasing versions. After all, it is free software, so why complain that it is being maintained?

Sorry to chime in also, but yeah, I do not understand what is with this fear of minor version releases. I would actually find this as a good indication of the fact that the project is maintained and issues are being fixed. There is nothing worse that a project that is not maintained and nobody is doing anything to fix the reported problems (other that removing features..).

This versioning is especially important since as I understand it, FreeNAS does not really have a dedicated on-site tester team so that devs could just churn out code, have it properly tested and only then publicly release major versions. People around the world using FreeNAS need to know the differences between each release, so numbers are good :)

I would actually advertise this as a good thing :)

But anyways, as a joke it`s OK and a good laugh.

Keep up the good work and release as many point versions as you like!

aufalien

Patron
Well, the flip is this, and I forgot which releases these were as it was a while back. But we were on a beta 9.1.X release and then and earlier production release was out with a 9.1.x.x before the beta went final.

At least that's how I recall it.

So yea, who doesn't like on going development, especially on a free product.

But when keeping track of issues and having several deployments out in the field, it becomes an issue. I would prefer more effort resume on 9.3 and 10 branches because if 9.1 continues to be developed then those newer rels are further down the road.

IX has a finite amount of money and devs. How cool would it be if a Rothschild just said hey FreeNAS, here's a cool mil :)

J

jkh

I would prefer more effort resume on 9.3 and 10 branches because if 9.1 continues to be developed then those newer rels are further down the road.
So would we, trust us!

IX has a finite amount of money and devs. How cool would it be if a Rothschild just said hey FreeNAS, here's a cool mil :)
That would be very cool indeed. Put in a good word for us next time you talk to them, OK? ;)

aufalien

Patron
I will, they need me to clean out there St Bernard pen so I 'll mention it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.