FreeNAS 11.1 is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Found an “issue”, wondering if others have experienced this:

In previous releases of 11.1 (beta/RC) warden jails were upgraded to FreeBSD 11.1. Now with the release version of FreeNAS 11.1 the warden jails seemed to have downgraded to FreeBSD 11.0. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
The jails will always be the version you built them with. They do not get upgraded.

averyfreeman

Contributor
Great job with the incremental improvements, I'm glad it wasn't as jarring as the Corral update. Seems really solid so far.

bawseman

Cadet
I'm currently running FreeNAS-11.1-RC1. To upgrade to FreeNAS 11.1 mentioned in this post do I change the update server from "FreeNAS 11-Nightlies" to "FreeNAS-11-STABLE"?

Is this the correct way to upgrade to the new version mentioned in this post? This will be my first upgrade so just want to check...

That'll be the way bud!

NASbox

Guru
Great job - Thanks! Upgrade to 11.1 from 11.0-U4 was seamless, and 11.1 seems to be stable and running well.

appoli

Dabbler
The jails will always be the version you built them with. They do not get upgraded.

Not true, the issue I described only happened after FreeNAS 11.1 release was rolled out. 11.1 beta and RC jails were running FreeBSD 11.1.
All the jails I have were made with FreeBSD 11.0 and up until FreeNAS 11.1 release they were running FreeBSD 11.1.

@Kam thank you for the info. It does sound exactly like bug #27247 which was added around the same time. I’m wondering what’s taking them so long to push out a fix though...
I guess the good news is that the bug forced me to get Docker running on FreeNAS 11.1...
Thanks!

-fun-

Contributor
I upgraded from 11.0-U4 a few days ago, everything seems fine so far (apart from some log spam I had to tackle). I did notice significant performance improvements in listing directory contents.

I also just tried the new UI (for the first time). Is this the right place to provide feedback? It sure looks more modern. A lot of good ideas have been integrated. Also I expect to get rid of some problems with list / table widgets in Safari. But it sure wastes screen space like nothing I have seen before. In many places scrolling is required although everything would fit nicely into one screen. The Dashboard will only really be useful once I can freely configure and layout the contents. I do like the pfSense Dashboard for comparison. The "Items per page" setting should allow "all" IMO. There is serious loss of functionality like the navigable hierarchical list of storage / datasets: In the current UI I can expand / contract subtrees. All this is missing in the flat list of the new UI. The reporting feature is missing the feature to change the scales.

I urgently recommend not to release this version of the UI as a default without keeping the current UI as a fallback.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I see 11.1-U1 is available to upgrade to, do we have anyone who is using it yet?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I see 11.1-U1 is available to upgrade to, do we have anyone who is using it yet?
Thanks for pointing out 11.1-U1 is out on the streets. I'm not brave enough just yet to take the plunge, I'm finalizing my backup server before I do this.

mjt5282

Contributor
I have successfully upgraded my 3 FreeNAS servers to 11.1-U1. Next up, jails with FreeBSD 11.1 .... In the meantime, all pools imported, all jails and VMs are running fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm glad -U1 is out, but I think I'll wait a bit before I upgrade, to make sure the memory leak is fixed. Having a scrub reliably kill my server wasn't a good thing.

hervon

Patron
Updated fine ti 11.1U1. No issue so far. New log spam though : agent: Check 'freenas_health' is now warning

NASbox

Guru
Updated fine ti 11.1U1. No issue so far. New log spam though : agent: Check 'freenas_health' is now warning
I don't think you need U1 for that .... I've had issues with 11.1 ... just can't reproduce it well enough to file a bug report. In my case it has something to do with importing and exporting a single drive pool. After I finish exporting the pool... sometime later I notice an alert about not connecting to /dev/ada3 (the device that housed the pool that is no longer connected.) I'll bet if you check the log, there's another message and the log spam is a symptom of that earlier problem.

Adrian

Contributor
My 3 FreeNAS systems successfully updated to FreeNAS-11.1-U1.
Just file servers with replication - no jails, VMs or plugins.

enemy85

Guru
I had that too since 11.1 Upgrade... not glad to hear that is still there... :(

NASbox

Guru
I upgraded from 11.1 successfully, other than the health check spam it seems OK.
Any idea if there is a reason for the health check? Could the bug be upstream (but more or less silent), and the health check message is the symptom? Is everyone having this issue?

Redcoat

MVP

tslw

Dabbler
Ikupgraded from 11.1 to 11.1-u1. Basic functionality works including log spam.
Docker/Rancher does not work any more (and I do not see any error messages).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.