FreeNAS 11.1-BETA1 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
FreeNAS fans, your loyal and hard-working FreeNAS team is proud to make available the first BETA of the upcoming 11.1 release. This release is jam-packed with new features and fixes. Over 200 tickets and issues have been resolved and also brings with it a technology preview of our new UI. (More on that in a second). But first, let’s hit some of the highlights:
  • Improved ZFS scrub and resilver times
  • A priority UI which lets you set times for more “aggressive” scrubs / resilver IO
  • A new “Cloud Credentials” UI, which allows setting up backups to BackBlaze, Amazon S3 and Google Cloud Storage.
  • Ability to send test alerts to your configured providers
  • Quota support for Apple Time Machine on a per-backup basis
  • And much more!
One other thing I wanted to take a moment and highlight. The UI team has been very hard at work over the past months getting our new Angular-Based UI functional and feature-complete. This release includes a much later revision (which many of you have seen in the nightlies) that now provides support for nearly all the functionality in the legacy UI. (They are still finishing up a few menus and knobs). We wanted to give you an opportunity to take it for a test-drive and start providing feedback and bug reports. Some of the pages are still being converted to the new theme engine we incorporated a while back, so please pardon our construction dust. As per usual, please be careful using this with production data, slippery when wet, danger danger, etc.

Without further ado, you can download 11.1-BETA1 from below, or switch to the FreeNAS-11.1-PRERELEASE train in the update UI. Thanks and happy NAS’ing!

http://download.freenas.org/11/BETA1/x64/

FNAS-11.1-UI1.png

Mod note: To discuss the new GUI, please use this thread:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-gui-suggestions-and-discussion-thread.58815/

Last edited by a moderator:

Zwck

Patron
This is great news! If someone dives into the beta please report, i'd like to hear all about it :D

hervon

Patron
Tried to jump from the 11 stable to 11.1-PRERELEASE. Got thrown out of the wagon:

"You're not allowed to change away from the nightly train, it is considered a downgrade.
If you have an existing boot environment that uses that train, boot into it in order to upgrade that train."

hervon

Patron
Manual update failed too.

Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://192.168.1.107/system/manualupdate/?X-Progress-ID=7438ed1a-83db-486b-8f50-859822b39075 Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py" in check_output 336. **kwargs).stdout File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py" in run 418. output=stdout, stderr=stderr) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner 39. response = get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response 249. response = self._get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response 178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in view 68. return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in dispatch 237. response = super(WizardView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in dispatch 88. return handler(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in post 300. return self.render_done(form, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in render_done 357. **kwargs) Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /system/manualupdate/ Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b"Failed to apply update Command '['/usr/local/bin/freenas-update', '-C', '/var/tmp/firmware', 'update']' returned non-zero exit status 1.: b''"]

SlackerDude

Explorer
For what it's worth, I took the plunge last night and upgraded an instance running in VMWare workstation. It was running 9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1), so I first switched to the 11-STABLE train, and finally to 11.1-PRERELEASE. The final upgrade seemed to take quite a while. and the new interface feels awfully laggy so far, but this may simply be a result of running as a vm with only 1GB of memory allocated. Switching over to the legacy interface results in faster response. I will try increasing the amount of RAM to 8GB this evening and toss some data into the storage to see how things respond in the new UI. I have to say, the new UI is pretty slick IMO.

EDIT: I had to switch to the new interface to get past the issue hervon encountered. From the new UI I was able to perform the upgrade from 9.10.2 to 11.0, and then to 11.1-BETA.

hervon

Patron
Thanks SlackerDude. New GUI 11.0U4 to 11.1 beta Worked.

Edit : My jails are working fine : transmission, urbackup, minidlda. But I can't see them in the new GUI. I see no Jail Instances. I see the storage for each jail.

They appear normally in the old GUI.

Last edited:

mlanner

Dabbler
@Kris Moore The backup to cloud providers sounds great. From the list of providers there is no open source solution high-lighted. Would you consider adding something like OpenStack Swift to the supported backup solutions? If you need an OpenStack Swift cluster to test against, I'd be happy to provide resources and any help/guidance.

scrappy

Patron
Thanks SlackerDude. New GUI 11.0U4 to 11.1 beta Worked.

Edit : My jails are working fine : transmission, urbackup, minidlda. But I can't see them in the new GUI. I see no Jail Instances. I see the storage for each jail.

They appear normally in the old GUI.

I wonder if this has anything to do with switching to iocage from warden jail management. If so, I will be very happy to see the switch!

pbriesch

Cadet
Same as in post #3, then manual update provided following message:

Code:
Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://freenas.local./system/manualupdate/?X-Progress-ID=95ece3c9-77be-4c2e-88ad-d257190bc1ce Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py" in check_output 336. **kwargs).stdout File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py" in run 418. output=stdout, stderr=stderr) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner 39. response = get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response 249. response = self._get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response 178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in view 68. return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in dispatch 237. response = super(WizardView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in dispatch 88. return handler(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in post 300. return self.render_done(form, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in render_done 357. **kwargs) Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /system/manualupdate/ Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b"Failed to apply update Command '['/usr/local/bin/freenas-update', '-C', '/var/tmp/firmware', 'update']' returned non-zero exit status 1.: b''"]

adrianwi

Guru
I updated a VM running on vbox (FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4) from 11.0 and it worked perfectly first time.

I'm always worried about reporting any bugs given its virtualised without even the minimum of RAM, but thought I'd add some thoughts here.

I like the look of the new UI, as it feels more evolutionary to the revolutionary jump of Corral. I'm sure anyone familiar with the old UI would quickly adapt to the new layout, although I'm guessing it doesn't have the benefits of running tasks in the background through use of a middleware.

That said, it still feels a long way from being finished and some basic things don't seem to work for me:

• Having it started it up, it won't shutdown from the settings cog (although I like the 'are you sure' checkbox)
  • Opening the Reporting window is a bit hit and miss, as sometimes it doesn't even show the CPU page or the top-menu bar
  • Virtualisation Table View has text overlapping making it unreadable
  • Not sure about the Orange settings icon - does this need to be there when there is only a few options to select from? There seems to be a few places where two clicks are needed when one would do.
  • I like the big Shell window, although might miss the fact it's not 'disconnected' from the rest of the UI
Probably not that helpful, but easy enough to ignore :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I wonder if this has anything to do with switching to iocage from warden jail management. If so, I will be very happy to see the switch!
Yes, for now, the old GUI runs warden and the new GUI runs iocage.

So this means that if you update and the new gui is not finalized/has features that are missing it will be a mismash of switching to the old gui to do certain things and the new one for iocage use?

I also have to wonder if the old gui will still be available for a few cycles with iocage working for those who would rather stick with the tried and true until the kinks are worked out or if will be an all or nothing deal like 10 was. Personally I would like to have the time to make the changes over a few months rather than having a hey you updated to have new features but now you are stuck with the new features type of deal.

ThreeDee

Guru
Do Plex and UniFi controller ..etc .. install the same using iocage as they do with warden?

Once a new jail is setup the install process should be essentially the same for Plex, UniFi, or anything else. The base you are working with is still FreeBSD it's just what is doing the setup is a little different.

ThreeDee

Guru
ah ..thanks!

StarkJohan

Explorer
What version of iocage is bundled with 11.1-PRE? I'm currently using 0.9.8.1 05/23/2017 on 11.0-U4 which has a couple of issues affecting my setup of vnet and networking in particular.

chrisada

Explorer
Is it the plan that iocage replaces warden as the default in 11.2? (Together with iocage-based plugins?)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

idachour

Cadet
Hello

I have Installed 11.1 Prerelease version from 11.0 U4 but i have no menu as you can see in my picture

upload_2017-10-25_17-0-8.png

Can you help me please ?

kranzel

Explorer
Maybe this isn't the right place. But looking at tall the features etc. I do not see docker listed. Has this been pushed out of 11.1 now?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.