TrueNAS 13.0-BETA1 Released

eturgeon

Super Moderator
iXsystems
We are pleased to announce the release of TrueNAS 13.0-BETA1. This release is the first major testing release that kicks off the TrueNAS 13.0 release cycle and includes several fixes, improvements, and a few new features. Highlights of the 13.0-BETA1 release include updating OpenZFS to 2.1, optimizations for large systems with heavy disk usage, improved Machine Check Architecture support, and more.

Release Notes: https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/core/13.0beta1/
Download: https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-core/

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yippie-ka-yeah! :smile:

Any progress in the mess that is the current bridge setup?

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
Yippie-ka-yeah! :smile:

Any progress in the mess that is the current bridge setup?
it it just an IPV6 thing? or would it mess up my current Plex and UniFi controller jails using IPV4?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It will mess up anything that uses multicast. It's been that way since the introduction of VNET jails. Few people with IPv4 only ever notice.

zmeul

Dabbler
downloaded the ISO, put it on a stick with Rufus, booted it up on the NAS, chose option 1 and then a while solid cursor appears and it's stuck there

mobo: ASUS PRIME B560-PLUS
BIOS: Version 1203 (2021/11/24)
CPU: i5-11600

I also tried it on a 2nd stick booting it with Ventoy - same result

ps: booted in UEFI mode

kspare

Guru
Tried to update from U5, but needed to update to U8. then I could do the update.

Just moved some major load over, we will see how monday goes, see if the extra iops come out!

So far so good!

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's up with this? I try to download the ISO with Proxmox, and I get this nonsense:
1644673377030.png

What downloader client does Proxmox use in the background?

I could use any web browser, wget, or aria2. All worked without issues.

EDIT: Possibly related?

Looks like a patch was submitted last week. (Some servers don't like the user-agent string "libwww-perl/6.52 UA" apparently.)

CONFIRMED: It's rejecting the user-agent string used by the Proxmox URL downloader. I re-created the issue with wget:

Code:
wget -U "libwww-perl/6.52 UA" https://download.freenas.org/13.0/BETA1/x64/TrueNAS-13.0-BETA1.iso

Resolving download.freenas.org (download.freenas.org)... 68.70.205.4, 68.70.205.1, 68.70.205.3, ...
Connecting to download.freenas.org (download.freenas.org)|68.70.205.4|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 451
2022-02-12 09:25:26 ERROR 451: (no description).

Last edited:

zmeul

Dabbler
downloaded the ISO, put it on a stick with Rufus, booted it up on the NAS, chose option 1 and then a while solid cursor appears and it's stuck there

mobo: ASUS PRIME B560-PLUS
BIOS: Version 1203 (2021/11/24)
CPU: i5-11600

I also tried it on a 2nd stick booting it with Ventoy - same result

ps: booted in UEFI mode
bypassed the issue by installing TrueNAS CORE 13.0-BETA1on a different (older) PC and moving the SSD to my NAS, imported the config and works

one thing I noticed though: the wall of scrolling text where the OS and the ZFS system loads is no longer showing; what I mean by it: it shows the TrueNAS boot options and the next thing I see is the TrueNAS fully loaded with the IPs, nothing in between

zmeul

Dabbler
I went back to 12.0-U8 as I found a issue with SAMBA shares - newly copied files to the share will not inherit the permissions already set
dunno if it's an issue inherited because I haven't updated the ZFS pools to the new version or it's a issue with the new SAMBA

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I went back to 12.0-U8 as I found a issue with SAMBA shares - newly copied files to the share will not inherit the permissions already set
dunno if it's an issue inherited because I haven't updated the ZFS pools to the new version or it's a issue with the new SAMBA
Did you file a ticket? Ideally, we like to get issues fixed when people discover them ;)

zmeul

Dabbler
Did you file a ticket? Ideally, we like to get issues fixed when people discover them ;)
as of now, no
I'm quite unsure if the issue is directly related to SAMBA or a mix of "something"

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
as of now, no
I'm quite unsure if the issue is directly related to SAMBA or a mix of "something"
Okay. This version involves major version change in Samba (as well as surrounding VFS modules), the sooner we can get any kinks worked out the better. Please file a jira ticket or PM me if you encounter any issues with it.

zmeul

Dabbler
Okay. This version involves major version change in Samba (as well as surrounding VFS modules), the sooner we can get any kinks worked out the better. Please file a jira ticket or PM me if you encounter any issues with it.
I'll try to do this at work with a test machine, at this moment I'm not willing to lose the pools on my own NAS if something goes wrong
as soon as I discover something I'll fill a jira ticket

zmeul

Dabbler
as promised I made a test system at work and verified the SAMBA permissions with a fresh install of 13BETA1 and a fresh pool - I could not replicate the issues I have with my own NAS
maybe the fact that on my own NAS I did not update the ZFS file system to 13's version might have something to do with it

---

as time permits, I'll also try to have test NAS from 12U8 updated to 13BETA and see if that matches with my issue

---

few hours ago I managed to do some more tests with a 12U8 install, then I upgraded to 13BETA1 - I haven't managed to replicate the issue

Last edited:

Volts

Patron
maybe the fact that on my own NAS I did not update the ZFS file system to 13's version might have something to do with it

I don't think that's it. The new ZFS feature-flag is draid, which shouldn't be tied to anything related to Samba or permissions.

Lots of other moving parts to implicate first. :smile:

Krautmaster

Explorer
can I update to 13.0 B1 and if it fails to boot manually switch the boot environment to 12 U7 back again or will that be not working due to configuration changes?

zmeul

Dabbler
can I update to 13.0 B1 and if it fails to boot manually switch the boot environment to 12 U7 back again or will that be not working due to configuration changes?
I went from 12U8 to 13 and back to 12U8 with zero issues - the only thing you need to keep in mind is that if the WEB UI asks you to update the ZFS system to 13's version that most certainly will have an impact of reverting back to 12.x - I didn't do it
I used two different boot drives and kept 12U8 boot intact

Krautmaster

Explorer
oki, in my case im running the Truenas in a HyperV VM and i directly attach the PCIe LSI controller to it. Any how going from 12 U7 to U8 freezes the boot when the LSI is attached. My workaround was to select 12 U7 in the boot environment manually before boot and i can see that i can even choose old 11 releases in there. Wonder what this does in detail. Is it a fully separated 100% functional environment then with freezed elder configs or will it boot an elder release with an actual config then? In this case it may break when the new release changes the config.

Nevermind, i should be able ti detach the LSI, then do a snapshot (only works with without passthough), boot into 12 U8 and update it to 13 b1 and see if it boos ten fine with my LSI (other than 12 U8 does).

What was the reason for you to go back to U8?