TrueNAS SCALE 24.04-BETA.1 (Dragonfish) has been released!

eturgeon

Super Moderator
iXsystems
We are pleased to release TrueNAS SCALE 24.04-BETA.1!

This is an early release of a major version that is intended for testing and feedback purposes only.

This has software component updates and new features that are in the polishing phase.

Notable changes:
  • New audit logging for UI and API actions (NAS-123447), including SMB activity (NAS-123371). An Auditing screen is available for managing this feature from the UI.
  • New dashboard widget for backup configurations is available. This summarizes saved backup tasks and has links to quickly set up new backup schedules.
  • New status pages for SMB and NFS services allow managing active sessions (SMB - NAS-105505 and NFS - NAS-124942).
  • FreeIPA support is added to Credentials > Directory Services > Configure LDAP form (NAS-123701).
  • The Feedback reporting window has improved! The page rating icon is now always visible on the top toolbar and the feedback window also functions for new bug reports and improvement suggestions (NAS-124484). Clicking File a ticket on System Settings > General also opens the feedback window.
  • An unsupported development mode is added to the base system. Enabling this puts the system in an unsupported state and allows customization of the operating system.
  • systemd-nspawn containers (Sandboxes) are added as an unsupported community feature so that an advanced containerization user can deploy custom software in persistent containers.
  • Support is added for data ingest via filesystem (SMB) clients, allowing users migrating to TrueNAS SCALE to more easily import data from a third party NAS solution (NAS-123717). Supported SMB migration via the TrueNAS Syncthing Enterprise app is arriving in a future 24.04 release.
  • Linux kernel is updated to 6.6 (NAS-123465).
  • ZFS ARC memory allocations are now identical to TrueNAS CORE (NAS-123034).
  • Share creation forms are reworked to centralize and speed up the configuration process (NAS-123420).
  • The feedback system is reworked and expanded to also control creating bug reports and improvement suggestions in the TrueNAS Jira project (NAS-124484).
  • The deprecated gluster component is removed and all other gluster-related components are removed from TrueNAS SCALE.
  • OpenEBS-ZFS container storage interface (CSI) driver support is removed in TrueNAS SCALE 24.04 (Removal Notice).
New and existing users who only use official apps are unaffected by this change, as these apps do not use OpenEBS-ZFS CSI drivers. Unofficial apps are unaffected if they are configured as outlined below.

Unofficial apps that use OpenEBS-ZFS CSI drivers should maintain functionality for existing deployments, but users are not able to make backups or restore any existing backups for those apps. New users are not able to install and deploy these apps.

Maintainers of unofficial catalog apps using OpenEBS-ZFS CSI drivers should either begin to ship a CSI driver with the app or use the one provided in SCALE.

See the Release Notes for more details.

Changelog: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/24.04/gettingstarted/scalereleasenotes/#2404-beta1
Download: https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale
Documentation: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/

Thanks for the early testing of TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish! As always, we appreciate your feedback!

Also, if you find a bug, please create a ticket at https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/NAS/issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorsher

Explorer
Good stuff. I was concerned that future updates might make jlmkr impossible/more difficult to use. I'm glad to see the (unsupported) support. They come in handy when I want to run a package or script.

ARC changes are nice. Development mode isn't something I have a use for now, but there have been times I would have appreciated it. Glad for the kernel update that will allow me to use an Intel Arc GPU without any trouble.

Just in time for the new server. Thanks!

The_Master

Cadet
Hello,

found a bug at the Upgrade Process from "TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3" to the new Beta. Dont know what this means. Maybe someone has a glue. Thanks

image.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are TrueCharts apps supposed to work? Not asking for guarantee, just if they are known not to because of breaking changes?

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
Are TrueCharts apps supposed to work? Not asking for guarantee, just if they are known not to because of breaking changes?
I'm not aware of any breaking changes from Cobia to Dragonfish; however, I'd recommend you ask the TrueCharts community if they have any datapoints.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There is potentially an outstanding issue we just discovered yesterday where TrueCharts can consume all available space in /var/run during chart validation on adding new catalog.

It's affecting some users on Cobia and will be fixed in 23.10.2 and 24.04-RC1.

Koen_Oostende

Dabbler
Is it possible to override the installation error...
Code:
Your system version is greater then specified maximum scale version for the app version

ZFS ARC memory allocations are now identical to TrueNAS CORE (NAS-123034).
Can this be expanded upon? How was this accomplished?

Was it simply a matter of changing a ZFS parameter to allow the ARC to behave the same as on FreeBSD?

Was a hard rule (percentage-wise) set?

Is this an upstream fix that affects OpenZFS, or is it only exclusive to TrueNAS SCALE?

I recall reading discussions about it in the forums, but I can't pinpoint where (and how) it was resolved.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks, folks!

Jorsher

Explorer
What version are you running?
This is the error generated by trying to install TrueCharts applications when 24.04 BETA is installed. It's not a TrueNAS issue.

Arwen

MVP
ZFS ARC memory allocations are now identical to TrueNAS CORE (NAS-123034).
Can this be expanded upon? How was this accomplished?

Was it simply a matter of changing a ZFS parameter to allow the ARC to behave the same as on FreeBSD?

Was a hard rule (percentage-wise) set?

Is this an upstream fix that affects OpenZFS, or is it only exclusive to TrueNAS SCALE?

I recall reading discussions about it in the forums, but I can't pinpoint where (and how) it was resolved.
Yes, I too would like to know how this was accomplished.

From what I remember about the tightly integrated memory handling ZFS does with FreeBSD, it would not be possible to do the same in the Linux kernel. At least not without serious buy in from Linux kernel developers, (who would immediately hate the idea, even if that could later be used by BTRFS, BCacheFS, etc...).

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, I too would like to know how this was accomplished.

From what I remember about the tightly integrated memory handling ZFS does with FreeBSD, it would not be possible to do the same in the Linux kernel. At least not without serious buy in from Linux kernel developers, (who would immediately hate the idea, even if that could later be used by BTRFS, BCacheFS, etc...).

Ended up not being an issue in modern Linux kernels. That restriction went in many years ago, so we did a lot of testing and investigation into ZFS and modern Linux kernel memory management. Found it wasn't a issue these days so we pushed a patch upstream to ZFS which makes it use the same defaults as FreeBSD now.

In the end the 'fix' was trivial, but sometimes you have to do a lot of work before you have confidence the fix is good. That said the investigation gave us some ideas on how we can optimize it even further, but those aren't necessary right at this moment.

Arwen

MVP
Ended up not being an issue in modern Linux kernels. That restriction went in many years ago, so we did a lot of testing and investigation into ZFS and modern Linux kernel memory management. Found it wasn't a issue these days so we pushed a patch upstream to ZFS which makes it use the same defaults as FreeBSD now.

In the end the 'fix' was trivial, but sometimes you have to do a lot of work before you have confidence the fix is good. That said the investigation gave us some ideas on how we can optimize it even further, but those aren't necessary right at this moment.
So, does the ZFS ARC shrink automatically upon a program's request for additional memory that can't be served up from the existing free memory?

I know Solaris and FreeBSD both do this automatically.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So, does the ZFS ARC shrink automatically upon a program's request for additional memory that can't be served up from the existing free memory?

I know Solaris and FreeBSD both do this automatically.
Yeah, that part has been working all along, it was just that it was sometimes too slow.

Arwen

MVP
Yeah, that part has been working all along, it was just that it was sometimes too slow.
Uh, then it was not the same as Solaris & FreeBSD.

If I understand what Solaris & FreeBSD did, is that when a program requests memory and their is not enough to satisfy the request, ZFS ARC is reduced enough to satisfy the request. (As well as maintain a small buffer of free memory...) This means it can't be too slow as the memory allocation will not return until the ZFS ARC has coughed up enough memory.

The only time it can fail, (and I have seen this in Production on Solaris servers with broken Apps), is when a program mistakenly checks free memory BEFORE requesting it. Then, fails to start because their is not enough free memory.