TrueNAS SCALE 23.10-RC.1 has been released!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I assume you are OK with Kris's response about "update to later 13-STABLE FreeBSD base"... start a new thfread if there are any specifics you need to confirm. Thanks.
Of course I'm fine with that. I will open JIRA issues if I find any problems in the betas ...

Would you take a merge request for the UI and middleware? IMHO it should be rather trivial to add NVMe as an option for virtual disk devices, for example.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Of course I'm fine with that. I will open JIRA issues if I find any problems in the betas ...

Would you take a merge request for the UI and middleware? IMHO it should be rather trivial to add NVMe as an option for virtual disk devices, for example.
another thread is best

LouisB

Dabbler
Congrats on reaching this milestone.

I am interested to learn more about dRAID.
would I see a benefit on my 12 x 16TB RAIDZ2, keeping the same 2 parity, zero spare ?
impacts of the upcoming ZFS 3.0 expansion with dRAID ? I guess it will not be supported.

Arwen

MVP
The main feature of dRAID is the integrated hot spare(s). What that means is the spare blocks are scattered through out all the disks, allowing the dRAID integrated hot spare(s) to act as part of the data+parity stripe until a failure occurs. That improves performance.

Technically, their can be more than one parity group in a single dRAID vDev... and the integrated hot spare(s) can service both parity groups. But it's complicated.

On loss of a disk, dRAID can recover very fast because the destination, (aka hot spare), is over every other disk. This eliminates the hot spare as a write bottle neck for restoration of health to the dRAID vDev.

I don't know if any performance details of dRAID without integrated hot spares.
And yes, RAID-Zx column expansion does not include dRAID.

For the average user, (aka not experimenting), I would think that dRAID should not be considered. Their are too many quirks, where standard ZFS RAID-Zx and Mirroring, (with various support vDevs like Metadata), are quite well known at present.

Here are some document links:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Rule of thumb: Unless you were going to start with at least two RAIDZ vdevs, you probably shouldn't be looking at DRAID.