TrueNAS SCALE 24.04-RC.1 (Dragonfish) has been released!

eturgeon

Super Moderator
iXsystems
We are pleased to release TrueNAS SCALE 24.04-RC.1!

This is an early release of a major version that is intended for testing and feedback purposes only.

This release candidate version has software component updates, new features in the polishing phase, and fixes for issues discovered in 24.04-BETA.1.

Notable changes:
  • New privilege levels for TrueNAS administrative users for greater system security hardening (NAS-123416).
  • UPS graphs are added to Reporting screens (NAS-125159).
  • Fixes and polish on Dashboard and Reporting screens (NAS-125453, NAS-127824).
  • Fix for missing SATA/SSD temperatures (NAS-127524).
  • Prevent catalog validation from exhausting available space in /var/run (NAS-127213).
  • Fix for Autoextend fails when upgrading drives in vdev - manually extend causes the drive to drop offline (NAS-126809).
  • Prevent SMB access-denied errors when copying a read-only file with an alternate data stream (NAS-126846).
  • Ensure alert notifications expire properly (NAS-127543).
  • Improved zpool TRIM performance (NAS-125882).
  • Improved Kubernetes stability for applications (NAS-125640).
  • Exposed Netdata UI under Reporting > Netdata for deeper real-time introspection and reporting on system performance.
    The Netdata UI bases time on the local browser time, while the SCALE Reporting screen is based on the TrueNAS system time. Some difference in event time between the two screens is expected.
See the Release Notes for more details.

Changelog: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/24.04/gettingstarted/scalereleasenotes/#24.04-rc.1-changelog
Download: https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale
Documentation: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/

Thanks for testing this early release of TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish! As always, we appreciate your feedback!

Also, if you find a bug, please create a ticket at https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/NAS/issues.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Let us know if the updates from BETA are smooth.

We're also interested in new installation experience... how are the SMB and NFS wizards?

jct

Explorer
Let us know if the updates from BETA are smooth.
I imagine there's a story behind why you ask that. :wink:

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the GUI update work yet. First on a VM, which I overwrote with a fresh download. Then on a rackmount with some admittedly hinky boot-time storage. I'm leaving that one alone, for now. They go through all the motions, and they restart — but then grub still refers to the beta and so does everything else. Surface-level identical between the two very different installations, as far as I can tell.

I hope I'm just the odd one out, with two flukes in a row.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I imagine there's a story behind why you ask that. :wink:

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the GUI update work yet. First on a VM, which I overwrote with a fresh download. Then on a rackmount with some admittedly hinky boot-time storage. I'm leaving that one alone, for now. They go through all the motions, and they restart — but then grub still refers to the beta and so does everything else. Surface-level identical between the two very different installations, as far as I can tell.

I hope I'm just the odd one out, with two flukes in a row.

That's why we have these forums..... there are so many ways people build and update their systems.

We have pretty well-defined internal systems and known upgrade paths.

Let's see if others have the same issue and then we'll call for volunteers to help with any diagnosis.

Reactions: jct

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Apparently there have been over 500 updates from BETA in 1st 24 hours.. no major problems.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is LLDP/CDP back? It was removed with Cobia, IIRC.

jct

Explorer
Apparently there have been over 500 updates from BETA in 1st 24 hours.. no major problems.
Outstanding! And my from-scratch installs are doing as well as I've come to expect. These two just happened to be the first update failures I've ever encountered, from late FreeNAS 11 through all of the SCALE series.

There could well be something that I routinely configure off-path. And they're both on a network that I restrict fairly aggressively, with both DNS and firewall interventions. I have no trouble at all believing that the mistakes are mine.

If there's a Jira to which I should attach a sysdiagnose of the remaining Cisco server, let me know. That's the "nonprofit app server" in my sig. It had successfully tracked every continuous step forward from a Bluefin beta, if I recall correctly. Including plenty of exploratory GitLab-based CI/CD before even that settled in. (FWIW the VM had suffered no such battle scars; that was simply a freshly installed beta from earlier this week.)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Outstanding! And my from-scratch installs are doing as well as I've come to expect. These two just happened to be the first update failures I've ever encountered, from late FreeNAS 11 through all of the SCALE series.

There could well be something that I routinely configure off-path. And they're both on a network that I restrict fairly aggressively, with both DNS and firewall interventions. I have no trouble at all believing that the mistakes are mine.

If there's a Jira to which I should attach a sysdiagnose of the remaining Cisco server, let me know. That's the "nonprofit app server" in my sig. It had successfully tracked every continuous step forward from a Bluefin beta, if I recall correctly. Including plenty of exploratory GitLab-based CI/CD before even that settled in. (FWIW the VM had suffered no such battle scars; that was simply a freshly installed beta from earlier this week.)
Yes, you can "report-a-bug" using the menu.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
AFAIK.. it never worked properly and was removed. If you need it, make sure there is a suggestion ticket with the reasons why its needed.

jct

Explorer
Yes, you can "report-a-bug" using the menu.
Done! Thanks.

And just a while ago, a followup attempt worked fine on that same physical server. Just as it had so many times in the past.

The Jira report has my promised diagnostic data, plus a reconstruction of why I now suspect that one was a chance hardware issue on my part.

I have no guesses why my VMware Fusion VM seemed to behave the same way, but in hindsight that appears to have been pure coincidence.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Done! Thanks.

And just a while ago, a followup attempt worked fine on that same physical server. Just as it had so many times in the past.

The Jira report has my promised diagnostic data, plus a reconstruction of why I now suspect that one was a chance hardware issue on my part.

I have no guesses why my VMware Fusion VM seemed to behave the same way, but in hindsight that appears to have been pure coincidence.
If you provide your NAS ticket ID, its easier to follow-up.

jct

Explorer
If you provide your NAS ticket ID, its easier to follow-up.
Tell me about it. :mad: It flashed right off the screen as abruptly as it had appeared. Believe me I searched high and low for any trace of it either on-device or on Jira, delaying my attempted attaboy followup post.

Now I see email from them in a little-used account. Turns out it was NAS-127992. Hope that helps.

asap2go

Patron
After the very rocky update from Bluefin to Cobia I can happily report this went flawlessly.
Zero issues with apps, pool or anything else up until now.
Thanks!

Cellobita

Contributor
Updated half a dozen installs, no issues; did not test SMB performance extensively, but it doesn't seem to be much improved from 23.10 - though expectations might have been unreal from the start :wink:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Updated half a dozen installs, no issues; did not test SMB performance extensively, but it doesn't seem to be much improved from 23.10 - though expectations might have been unreal from the start :wink:

Software doesn't always increase performance of a specific system if it is limited by hardware. Better software can increase the performance ceiling and enable faster hardware to be useful. It is worthwhile to document the specific hardware, the performance targets, and the test process. Then it's possible to assess whether the software is doing a reasonable job.

Cellobita

Contributor
Software doesn't always increase performance of a specific system if it is limited by hardware. Better software can increase the performance ceiling and enable faster hardware to be useful. It is worthwhile to document the specific hardware, the performance targets, and the test process. Then it's possible to assess whether the software is doing a reasonable job.

Appreciate you taking the time to reply, Captain, but as mentioned, I did not test things thoroughly - and I probably shouldn't have posted my comment re: performance, it is meaningless without the elements you've pointed out.

I do have a specific system I'm curious to benchmark (but only when 24.04.1 arrives: this one is somewhat critical), and where users insist on saving tens of thousands of files in the same folder - high water mark was a bit over 98,000 - despite my tech advice not to do so, just split them into subfolders (life would be so much simpler without users...). I must confess that the blog post mentioning much increased folder performance in such cases brought a smile to my face...

asap2go

Patron
I've seen improvements from 330MB/s to 890MB/s after updating TrueNas.
But: only on a Linux client with samba 4.19(?).
On older samba versions I've seen no improvement on my clients.
To many constellations to be really sure though.