Resource icon

multi_report.sh version for Core and Scale 3.0

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Davvo
I have a preliminary Script Upgrade. It still needs work but it will check to see if there is a newer version, alert the user to the new version, the user will need to use the new '-update' switch and the user will need to answer 'y' to update the script. It's very fast. I'm not making it automatic "yet" as I feel the user should be in full control of automatic updates. I still have a lot to do but the prototype works. And yes, it will update the script no matter what the filename is. I like to use "multi_report.sh" on my home system. The script will overwrite that file name.

So the next version will have a nice upgrade.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
@Davvo
I have a preliminary Script Upgrade. It still needs work but it will check to see if there is a newer version, alert the user to the new version, the user will need to use the new '-update' switch and the user will need to answer 'y' to update the script. It's very fast. I'm not making it automatic "yet" as I feel the user should be in full control of automatic updates.
That sounds great. I strongly support the approach to leave the user in control of updates. There are always situations, which require a manual control (e.g. think about compliance in certain industries).

Davvo

MVP
I agree with @ChrisRJ with the control thing.
Also, may I suggest the name to be multi_report_vX.Y instead? Would be helpful in keeping track of things.

pteron

Dabbler
What would be nice is if the script could indicate that a newer version is available in the daily email.

joeschmuck

Old Man
What would be nice is if the script could indicate that a newer version is available in the daily email.
It's already working as of last night for version 2.2 beta, but before I release that I'd like to make sure version 2.1 has no issues. Unfortunately I generally only hear when things go bad, once in a while I get positive feedback of no issues. The normal is for me to wait a while to see if problems arise but if there have been a dozen or more different systems that have worked, I can see rolling out the next version. I just want to capture any bugs from the current version first. Also I need to test this change out a bit more, and make sure no one else can change the code on GitHub. That would be bad if someone could change the code when I'm controlling versioning using GitHub.

So, give me a few days and hopefully I will get some feedback on positive implementation of version 2.1. Feedback can come either here on the forum or by using the '-dump email' switch.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Also, may I suggest the name to be multi_report_vX.Y instead? Would be helpful in keeping track of things
Done. I've adjusted the script to use and display "multi_report_vX.Y.z". The "z" is for small bug fixes. I'm still retaining the date on the actual file, it's a tracking thing internally for me.

daschmidt

Explorer
A short question.
Have startet a thread but nobody answered, now I don't know if this is a S.m.a.r.t. bug or from the script.

Get daily a email from your script with Critical Alert. The errors are:
CRITICAL LOG FILE
Drive 50026B7784EF7EBE CRC Errors -65614
Drive 50026B7784EF7702 CRC Errors -44

but the s.m.a.r.t. test passed all. Do you know where is here the problem?

NugentS

MVP
A short question.
Have startet a thread but nobody answered, now I don't know if this is a S.m.a.r.t. bug or from the script.

Get daily a email from your script with Critical Alert. The errors are:
CRITICAL LOG FILE
Drive 50026B7784EF7EBE CRC Errors -65614
Drive 50026B7784EF7702 CRC Errors -44

but the s.m.a.r.t. test passed all. Do you know where is here the problem?
Give us a chance

joeschmuck

Old Man
@daschmidt
Please post the entire output of smartctl /dev/... for the affected drive. If you are using my script and it's a current version, you can send me the data using the -dump email switch. I've also just responded to your question on the other thread.

Why is this a Critical Alert? Because you likely have a SATA data cable issue that needs to be fixed.

-Joe

joeschmuck

Old Man
A New version is here. This has a few bug fixes but more importantly it also has an automatic notification of an upgrade being available, end will even download and install it for you. The download and installation ONLY will occur if you manually issue the '-update' switch. I'd rather let people stay in control of their systems to be honest.

So someone asks, what does this do for me?
Answer:
1. When you do an online update it will save your multi_report_config.txt file and your script before it installs the new version. This makes rolling back easy as you do not have to go find the previous script nor the config file.
2. The name to run the script will always be 'multi_report.sh' which is great for CRON jobs/tasks.
3. Super easy to upgrade.
4. Notification of upgrades, and possible bug fixes.
5. User Manual (in PDF) will be placed in the running directory of the script for easy reference.

I also have a much better User Guide as well. Installation of the script is different than before so please read the User Guide before running the new script.

I was waiting to post this version until after Scale 22.12.2 came out this morning so I could test it to ensure nothing obvious failed. All looks okay from the script perspective. I was hoping 7-Zip would have been in the base code, but it is not so those who use Scale will notice 7-Zip being installed if it does not exist, which will happen after each TrueNAS upgrade/installation, until 7-Zip is included in the base code.

Please let me know if you run into any problems as I'd like to address those immediately.

Attachments

• multi_report_v2.2_2023_04_10.txt
    324.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Multi_Report_User_Guide.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 211

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've had a few comments that the installation of this version is a bit more challenging so if you still want to install it, go ahead. But if you can wait a few days I will generate a simple installation process (fingers crossed) that is more like the original installation. The script will be updated and the function is intended to be the same. Sorry about any confusion this might have caused.

Deeda

Explorer
Thanks @joeschmuck, love the idea of auto updates!

joeschmuck

Old Man

daschmidt

Explorer
I've had a few comments that the installation of this version is a bit more challenging so if you still want to install it
I tried to install the script now by zero.

The script run and the email are send to me.
But now I have
multi_report.sh; multi_report_config.txt; multi_report_v2.2_2023_04_08.txt; statisticalsmartdata.csv

In the guideline is descripted, to run the ./multi_report.sh there I get this:
-bash: ./multi_report.sh: No such file or directory

Davvo

MVP
I tried to install the script now by zero.

The script run and the email are send to me.
But now I have
multi_report.sh; multi_report_config.txt; multi_report_v2.2_2023_04_08.txt; statisticalsmartdata.csv

In the guideline is descripted, to run the ./multi_report.sh there I get this:
-bash: ./multi_report.sh: No such file or directory
You likely need to chmod +x multi_report.sh

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should have all four of those files. If you are using Scale, you cannot chmod a symlink, it must be the file it's linked to. In this case it would be multi_report_v2.2_2023_04_08.txt, or at least that is what I've found in my very limited experience.

See, it's more difficult that I expected (very easy on my systems) so that is why I will be promoting v2.2.1 to make the installation much easier. I just need at least 2 days. Today to make the changes and tomorrow to test out the installation in about 3 different ways on each Core and Scale, to ensure it installs properly.

daschmidt

Explorer
I will be promoting v2.2.1 to make the installation much easier
the installation is no problem only in the guide stand:

7. Run the script ‘./multi_report_v2.2_2023_04_08.txt -config’. NOTE: If you run the script without a configuration file, the script will display an error message and direct you to create a configuration file.

14. Let’s run the script again but this time without any CLI switches ‘./multi_report.sh’.

TooMuchData

Contributor
TooMuchData updated multi_report.sh version for Core and Scale with a new update entry:

The Kitchen Sink! This version can update itself. Read the manual!

There's no schmuck like a JoeSchmuck! Thank you, Joe.

V2.3 (14 April 2023)

-Simplified User Installation
-Bugfix for Custom Drive Configuration - Wear Level, Helium Level.

V2.2 (10 April 2023)

- Bugfix for Test Age always being = "2".
- Bugfix for SSD Wear Level for certain drives.
- Bugfix for Scale, no TrueNAS Config Backup without 7-zip.
- Added Automatic Update Notification for newer version.
- Added Message from the Creator.
- Added Symlink -...

Read the rest of this update entry...

awasb

Patron
Still just works. Thanks, again!