Resource icon

multi_report.sh version for Core and Scale 3.0

joeschmuck

Old Man
Small bug: looks like the latest version when run with "-s" will still send an email.
I'm sorry about that. I dislike it when I introduce another problem by solving one. I did verify the issue. I will try to fix it in a few hours but unfortunately I'm at work right now and I don't have the means to put in a fix and test it. If I come up with a potential fix while at work, I will PM you the fix to try. I will need to test it with '-s', '-m', '-s' and '-m', and no switches at all. So four tests total to make sure I didn't introduce any further problems. I know exactly where it's broken, I just need to fix it.

And thanks for letting me know there was a problem in the first place.

Cao,
Joe

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is the bug fix for the bug fix. Version 2.0.10 which fixes the '-s' switch. @Malpractis please give this a try.

-Joe

Attachments

• multi_report_v2.0.10_06_Mar_2023.txt
    339.6 KB · Views: 98

gdarends

Explorer

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well glad it's working now. @TooMuchData will be able to post this updated script (on posting #263) at his leisure.

trentk10

Explorer
Thanks to everyone on this script. I had personally modified version of this running daily on freenas 11, and I think the update to 12 broke it if I remember correctly. Was beyond my knowledge to get it working again so I abandoned it. Many thanks.

trentk10

Explorer
Here is Multi-Report v2.0.6 and I've made some minor adjustments for a few people so the reports work better, the bulk of the people will not notice a difference. I also reduced data collection when the -dump parameter is used, also started collecting 'zpool' status data in case someone has a script issue with Zpool data for me to troubleshoot.

Right now I'm looking for some additional data for my script simulator so I can take into account various drives (HDD, SSD, NVMe). The drives in particular I'm looking for right now for HDD's are those with Helium and for HDD's that are SCSI. These add a level of complexity to decoding. But I still need SSD's and NVMe drives. I have some data but not nearly enough. I can feed hundreds of drive data files into the simulator now and generate charts and reports, but it's in version 2.1 which is in heavy working. And I'm attempting to make the accuracy of the data 100% perfect, if possible.

If you have send me any -dump email data in the past week, you do not need to resend it. I have what I need and I thank you for the data, it has really helped me. Hopefully I will see more data flow in over the next week.

Anyway, if you find anything wrong, please say something.

-Joe
Are you still looking for nvme data ? I have 3 of them in my system, happy to share anything I can to help out.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you still looking for nvme data ? I have 3 of them in my system, happy to share anything I can to help out.
I most certainly am and any odd or new drives. Turns out that even new drives by the old manufactures change ID meanings. If you wouldn't mine running the script using -dump email then it will send me the drive data. If you have read this thread you will know that any email address I get, I do not share. Should you need any assistance, shoot me a message. I just returned from my anniversary vacation with the wife. Had a good time, and we are tired.

CheeryFlame

Contributor
Thank you for the amazing script! I would like to know if it's normal that the config file it's generating is 81KB and when I manually generate my configuration file it's 950KB. Also I'm not receiving any emails.

Thank you!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thank you for the amazing script! I would like to know if it's normal that the config file it's generating is 81KB and when I manually generate my configuration file it's 950KB. Also I'm not receiving any emails.

Thank you!
The config file should be about 20K in size. 950K is way too big. I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal' and 'manual' generation. It is generated using the -config switch and then you select New configuration file. The only way the configuration file will grow is if you have some customizations in it such as a lot of sector errors to compensate for.

As for the emails, you need to setup root to send you emails in TrueNAS. If TrueNAS cannot send you an email, you will not receive one. Lastly, depending on your email server, the "from" address may need to change to your email address. And make sure you are using the file from posting #263 above, it has a minor fix, very minor but all fixes matter to someone.

CheeryFlame

Contributor
The config file should be about 20K in size. 950K is way too big. I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal' and 'manual' generation.
System Settings > General > Manage Configuration > Download File (without Password Secret Seed) =

1679339591485.png

System Settings > General > Manage Configuration > Download File (with Password Secret Seed) =

1679339621978.png

Cron Job >
Code:
./mnt/Pollen/scripts/multi-report/multi_report.sh
=

1679339694644.png

Hope this makes my question more clear to be answered :smile:

GrimmReaperNL

Explorer
System Settings > General > Manage Configuration > Download File (without Password Secret Seed) =

View attachment 64932

System Settings > General > Manage Configuration > Download File (with Password Secret Seed) =

View attachment 64933

Cron Job >
Code:
./mnt/Pollen/scripts/multi-report/multi_report.sh
=

View attachment 64934

Hope this makes my question more clear to be answered :smile:
The one from system settings is your entire truenas installation settings file. You can use this to restore your installation after a (re)install.

The one from multi_report is just for the multi_report script.

CheeryFlame

Contributor
The one from system settings is your entire truenas installation settings file. You can use this to restore your installation after a (re)install.

The one from multi_report is just for the multi_report script.
Actually this doesn't seem accurate since the name of the file is 22.12.1_Config_2023-03-20.tar.gz which does refer to Scale's version.

Also the multi_report config file on the email attachment is named differently.

1679341388115.png

So my question remains, why is the manually generated generated system config backup file is around 950 KB whereas the file generated by multi_report is under 100 KB?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The tar file from TrueNAS is uncompressed, the .tar.gz file emailed from the script is a compressed zip file. Both files are identical, just one is compressed.

The multi_report_config.txt is just the external configuration file for Multi-Report.

Hope that clears it up.

Also, you can make a backup with the password, then restore the file the script sent you, see if it also has the password. I'm "pretty sure" not 100% positive that is does. I have not tested it since before the password option became available.

CheeryFlame

Contributor
The tar file from TrueNAS is uncompressed, the .tar.gz file emailed from the script is a compressed zip file. Both files are identical, just one is compressed.

The multi_report_config.txt is just the external configuration file for Multi-Report.

Hope that clears it up.

Also, you can make a backup with the password, then restore the file the script sent you, see if it also has the password. I'm "pretty sure" not 100% positive that is does. I have not tested it since before the password option became available.
Thank you for the reply that solves the mystery!

Regarding the password seed, I can't test it since from my understanding it's only for use with a different boot device which I don't have any at the moment and would be hard to test for myself. Could someone comfirm this? Id like to be sure that in case of a boot drive replacement I'll be able to restore using my automatically generated config file.

Thanks again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Could someone comfirm this?
I will be able to confirm this on Saturday when I have the time do do the test. Since I use a VM it's an easy process to create a new boot drive and do a restore. I too am curious and I will test this out for both Core and Scale. But if in doubt, make a manual backup when ever you make a change to your system.

CheeryFlame

Contributor
I will be able to confirm this on Saturday when I have the time do do the test. Since I use a VM it's an easy process to create a new boot drive and do a restore. I too am curious and I will test this out for both Core and Scale. But if in doubt, make a manual backup when ever you make a change to your system.
Thank you! I really appreciate it! Would be cleaver as well to write it clearly in the docs!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Would be cleaver as well to write it clearly in the docs!
LOL, No one ever accused me of being cleaver. But yes, it will be included in the User Guide.

CheeryFlame

Contributor
LOL, No one ever accused me of being cleaver. But yes, it will be included in the User Guide.
Hahaha! English isn't my first language. Just googled that word and it's a knife and make no sense here. I think I meant clever.