What is the future of TrueNAS CORE?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
FreeBSD, Bastille, Ansible ... hey, even iocage exists and "just works" if you want to migrate your TrueNAS jails to stock FreeBSD. Migrating to more active and better architected Bastille can be done afterwards.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
EuroBSDCon was in driving distance for a change and I missed it? Damn it.
It's the single most important conference for me and my professional life every year. This year in Dublin. Sláinte!

victort

Guru
FreeBSD, Bastille, Ansible ... hey, even iocage exists and "just works" if you want to migrate your TrueNAS jails to stock FreeBSD. Migrating to more active and better architected Bastille can be done afterwards.
I would prefer Bastille to be honest. I really enjoy having ZFS and all the SMART checking, replication, monitoring, and so forth from the GUI. Stock FreeBSD would work, but there's a lot of manual work required to get things streamlined. SNMP server, SMART checking, etc...

I could set all this up manually, but that's one reason I like TrueNAS. It has the GUI to do all that. I've had too much grief with SCALE. It near impossible to set up something like Meshcentral and services that are "config-heavy" and require a config file to manage properly. Especially once you need to make a change after having it set up. And the Truecharts apps (they are improving) haven't gained enough stability IMO.

For now the 13.2-RELEASE is ok, but my time is limited to certain months of the year, when the rest of my commitments are not as time demanding.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I've had too much grief with SCALE. It near impossible to set up something like Meshcentral and services that are "config-heavy" and require a config file to manage properly.
And they still have not answered the very fundamental question of how to address updates that involve complex config changes and manually invoked commands. Like Nextcloud.

If you deploy Nextcloud now via a SCALE app and in a year or two decide to update that - because you just didn't care in the meantime and "hey, it's working, right?" - who will do the mandatory database scheme migrations? Of which I am not entirely sure from the top of my head if they will work at all if you skip major releases.

That was frequently named as a problem with CORE plugins - and it is! But it is in no way caused by the underlying container technology. It's a matter of taking responsibility for the entire lifecycle of an application.

We do that for our hosting customers. We have a "patch day" every month and we update everything. Yes, that means coding every couple of months for things like Nextcloud, but hey, two days of Ansible scripting per month to be able to keep >1000 customer instances running and up to date? That's more or less my job.

February patch day is drawing near and I have to upgrade every PostgreSQL instance from 13 to 15 ... yeah! :wink:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Apropos migrations... There is one thing I know handles those properly: GitLab, specifically their "Omnibus" package. It's a Faustian deal of sorts, you surrender all control over packages and give up on scalability - but they do everything for you. At the cost of a monster image. And you still can't skip arbitrary versions, you have to look up their byzantine upgrade paths (fortunately, they recently created a wizard, because the tables were getting out of hand) and download another monster to run it for half an hour while it migrate things.

My point is that these things are very hard problems, fundamentally because the castle (house of cards?) is being built on quicksand, inside a sandbox made of paper floating in a swamp, on top of a tectonic fault.

victort

Guru
Then again, life is too short to try to always have your way. Like @Jailer mentioned, it could very well be that some of us will be dragged into the world of Linux. All the services I run can also be run on SCALE, so who knows where I will ultimately choose to go. I do know that if it is too much trouble, I will choose the thing that is easiest to manage because again, life is short, so let's make the most of it.

victort

Guru
You might have heard the phrase "Who's gonna bell the cat?"

A group of mice got together to solve the issue of having their number continuously decrease due to the presence of a household cat. Everyone piped up and gave their opinions. Then, one young, up and coming mouse piped up. "Let's put a bell around it's neck so that whenever the cat is nearby, we will hear the bell and be able to escape." Everyone applauded this wonderful advice. Then one old scraggly looking mouse got slowly to its feet, looked around, and said, "Yes, this is a good idea. But I have one question. Who's gonna bell the cat?"

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I'll try to do my best to answer this as transparently as I can. I realize there are quite a few FreeBSD die-hard fans here in the audience. I myself came from that world as well, so it is something I have sympathy for. Its a very comfortable, clean and in many ways an elegantly simple system. It doesn't change very rapidly, which also means its easy to become expert and then no need to re-learn a lot of new things every few releases. However that is also its Achilles heal for long term viability. We (and many other vendors of FreeBSD based solutions, some still keeping quiet) have shared a concern for years now about its long term viability in the wider marketplace of solutions being based on newer and faster paced technologies. In our own very specific storage space, nearly all the other vendors historically based on BSD have already moved their primary product line to Linux. Then to top it, we've seen a trend towards upstream vendors moving away from supporting it directly, or giving it less and less priority vs a decade ago. It is quickly becoming more and more of a footnote in relevance among the data-center in general. I realize many of the fans on this thread don't want to hear that, but that is the facts.

Take a look at all the work Intel is pouring into Linux for up and coming technologies like CXL, which will be highly relevant to all of us very soon. Does a vendor like iX want to duplicate that effort into the FreeBSD stack, often at a very high cost of time and resource that could have been used for other efforts? Or if we do for that one tech how about others? Pick any other random feature which already has a perfectly viable equivalent on the Linux side of the fence with a very active user and developer base. You have to know where to best spend your (very limited) time and resource, and re-inventing wheels without some very tangible benefit (not just "caching up") isn't a good strategy. That said, I'm not one of those "FreeBSD is dying" doomsayers, I think it won't just "die", its going to just become more and more of a hobbyist and academia focused OS, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But I think the odds of it having a serious resurgence at this point in wider industry relevance is very very low. Of course it could still happen, and maybe I'll eat my words someday, but just looking at the facts right now in 2024, I'd be hard pressed to place any real bet on that.

This is just a peek behind some of my thoughts into the entire BSD vs Linux situation in 2024. That said, TrueNAS CORE hasn't been deprecated, and 13.1 is planned to start making a showing in Q2. It will be based upon FreeBSD 13.3 and will provide a way to keep running jails and upstream packages for some time to come. It is still a rock-solid NAS and we're expecting to support it for a long while for that use-case. But the numbers also don't lie, SCALE has been the fantastically growing edition (not even close) for 2+ years now. While its still new and plucky, with a lot of maturing still to do, we're seeing that happen at a pace even I didn't expect originally when we started the project.

I will leave you with a parting thought that a lot of internal iXers have heard me say. We live and work in an industry defined by rapid change. Technology moves forward at a rapid pace. The worst thing for an engineer is to get stuck on one particular piece of technology for emotional reasons. We always have to be pushing forward, learning and embracing the new where it makes logical sense for our own use-case. Even Linux itself will be dethroned someday when the next better thing comes along and we should always be mentally prepared to accept and embrace it.

sretalla