SOLVED Is my TrueNAS Core up to date?

simos.sigma

Dabbler
Hello community!!!

I have a question... Yesterday, following sretalla's directions, I created a jail for "Jellyfin" which works perfectly. In the first steps of building this jail I had to select the latest release, which is "13.2-RELEASE". And I'm wondering, does this have anything to do with the version of "TrueNAS Core" I have installed, which is "TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3"? Because when I check for "TrueNAS Core" updates it says "No updates available".

Thank you for your time!!!

Last edited:

unseen

Contributor
This is correct. The release number of TrueNAS CORE does not follow the release number of FreeBSD.

TrueNAS CORE is still running on a slightly earlier release of FreeBSD (13.1-RELEASE-p7).

simos.sigma

Dabbler
Oh I see... So "13.0-U5.3" is the version of TrueNAS Core and "13.2-RELEASE-p2" is the version of FreeBSD.

When we update TrueNAS Core, FreeBSD updates automatically?
If yes, do we have then to update our jails too, manually?

unseen

Contributor
Correct.

Yes, when you update TrueNAS to a new release, any FreeBSD updates for TrueNAS will be part of the release.

The jails can be left running whatever they were created with, unless there is an actual need to update the jail.

unseen

Contributor
My pleasure!

sretalla