WARNING - don't upgrade your TrueNAS CORE jails to FreeBSD 13.3 just yet

But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water just yet. :smile:
And I thought you Germans were confused by our bizarre American figures of speech. :wink:

EDIT: Nevermind. It's originally a German saying! :tongue: (I need to get out more...)
This idiom derives from a German proverb, das Kind mit dem Bade ausschütten.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I simply love English. And I prefer reading in English now. Tolkien, Pullman, Pratchett, Gaiman, literary studies on Tolkien, ... You should see my book shelf. :wink: Didn't get a hang of GRRM, though.

Redcoat

MVP
I simply love English. And I prefer reading in English now. Tolkien, Pullman, Pratchett, Gaiman, literary studies on Tolkien, ... You should see my book shelf. :wink: Didn't get a hang of GRRM, though.
Any significance in that the first 4 are English authors, GRRM not so?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I just could not get used to his style. Pullman also took two attempts for me, but in the end I really love His Dark Materials. The BBC/HBO TV series made me try again.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Threads like this are exactly why I stop by this forum at least once a day. Thank you @Patrick M. Hausen for the heads up on this.

Threads like this are exactly why I stop by this forum at least once a day. Thank you @Patrick M. Hausen for the heads up on this.
It also saved me from starting a new thread titled "Why did Jellyfin stop working?!?!?!" :grin:

Because, ironically, like @Patrick M. Hausen, I try to update/upgrade my jails whenever there's a new release.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I dont know by which logic, but I got the message that we should not pkg update && okg upgrade until we get to FreeBSD 13.3. I'm losing the chess battle with myself here.
We are safe for a couple of weeks according to my estimate and it looks like even way longer than that:

1. https://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup

2. With 13.3 published on March, 5th, that implies that 13.2 will be supported until early June.

3. While 13.2 and 13.3 are both supported, packages will be built for/on 13.2!

So all is well until way after TN CORE 13.1 (or whatever they decide the version will be) is released. Just remember to stick to 13.2 for your jails.

So, as always (please take notice of the large friendly letters):
IMG_0789.jpeg

I just edited the first post to reflect these facts.

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
8igywk.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@morganL Any date when we can expect the nightlies to run 13.3? I'd just like to help testing :wink:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I should caveat, nightly images might be a bit sporadic / rough for another week or two. We are in process of updating ports and an usual amount of breakages have occurred. We have to go chase them all down and fix things, but I'd expect that to stabilize in 2-3 weeks at max.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
I never had a problem with an older jail on a newer kernel, but YMMV as always.

Confirmed. Addition of new system calls is explicitly permitted according to Alan Somers. After all older binaries never use them so no ABI breakage this way round.
So, with that confirmation of ABI compatibility, you can continue upgrading packages in your 13.2 jails by ignoring the eventual userland/kernel version mismatch that will be reported by pkg(8) once it starts pulling in packages built for 13.3.

I've been keeping packages up-to-date on the nightly train in several of my jails in that fashion for a while, and haven't experienced a single problem so far.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
@winnielinnie That's why the FreeBSD foundation and other interested parties are talking about the future of the project. But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water just yet. :smile:
Can you point interested readers to venues where this conversation is currently taking place?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So, with that confirmation of ABI compatibility, you can continue upgrading packages in your 13.2 jails by ignoring the eventual userland/kernel version mismatch that will be reported by pkg(8) once it starts pulling in packages built for 13.3.
13.3 packages won't run on a 13.2 kernel or with a 13.2 jail. The switch will happen June/July. We will hopefully have TN CORE 13.3 by then. That was the point of that thread. Stick to 13.2 until TN 13.3 is released.

The ABI compatibility means your 13.2 jails will continue to run on the new TrueNAS. But you will probably want to update your packages past July, so that's the time to upgrade your jails, too.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
13.3 packages won't run on a 13.2 kernel or with a 13.2 jail. The switch will happen June/July. We will hopefully have TN CORE 13.3 by then. That was the point of that thread. Stick to 13.2 until TN 13.3 is released.

The ABI compatibility means your 13.2 jails will continue to run on the new TrueNAS. But you will probably want to update your packages past July, so that's the time to upgrade your jails, too.
Is that, in this specific case, due to the linking against the newer, and potentially backwards incompatible libc in 13.3?

In other circumstances, e.g. 13.2 packages on top of 13.1 kernel, and 12.3 packages on top of of a 12.2 kernel IIRC, I've done it and never experienced problems.