TrueNAS Core "follows" FreeBSD releases? (But in what sense?)

What exactly determines the base FreeBSD version for a TrueNAS Core update?

Is it simply a matter of...?

"We don't try to time FreeBSD releases with Core, but if there happens to be a jump in iteration
before the next Core version hits a code freeze, then this is what Core will be based on
"

Or to ask this another way:

FreeBSD 13.2 is aimed to land around late March of this year. If TrueNAS Core 13.0-U4 gets delayed, does that mean it's possible for it to be based on FreeBSD 13.2?

Are there attempts to synchronize the TrueNAS Core updates (U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, etc) with FreeBSD releases, or is it just a matter of "whatever happens, happens"?

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
What exactly determines the base FreeBSD version for a TrueNAS Core update?

Is it simply a matter of...?

"We don't try to time FreeBSD releases with Core, but if there happens to be a jump in iteration
before the next Core version hits a code freeze, then this is what Core will be based on
"

Or to ask this another way:

FreeBSD 13.2 is aimed to land around late March of this year. If TrueNAS Core 13.0-U4 gets delayed, does that mean it's possible for it to be based on FreeBSD 13.2?

Are there attempts to synchronize the TrueNAS Core updates (U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, etc) with FreeBSD releases, or is it just a matter of "whatever happens, happens"?

We don't try to synchronize.

Every new version has some risk and requires QA.
We look at the fixes/improvements vs the risk.

If there is something you need from 13.2, I'd recommend making a suggestion in Jira.

As an example, we've already merged some of the FreeBSD 13.2 fixes into TrueNAS 13.0-U4.
There was a TCP SACK bug that could cause NFS to hang.

Excellent strategy, thank you for your attention to detail.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't think so. We prefer the code be integrated with openZFS and this has not been done.

On a somewhat related note, FreeBSD 13.2 was just released today.

I'm confused by the release announcement where they boast the "kernel WireGuard driver is now available."
The kernel wg(4) WireGuard driver is now available.

On my TrueNAS Core system since the release of FreeBSD 13.1, I've been using the "wg" driver. How is that any different than what they proclaim for FreeBSD 13.2?
Code:
kldstat | grep wg

13    1 0xffffffff83158000    43650 if_wg.ko

I believe it's "included with the release itself" as opposed to "installed manually afterwards."
I never had to install anything extra (not to mention you can't/shouldn't do this with TrueNAS).

I just load the kernel module and I'm good to go. Applications in jails can use the "if_wg" module for VPN connections.

Tunables -> LOADER -> if_wg_load=YES

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I never had to install anything extra (not to mention you can't/shouldn't do this with TrueNAS).

I just load the kernel module and I'm good to go. Applications in jails can use the "if_wg" module for VPN connections.

Tunables -> LOADER -> if_wg_load=YES

That's because TrueNAS includes a lot of Easter eggs that FreeBSD does not have by default.

NickF

Guru
Wireguard has been the never-ending story with BSD. Happy to see it finally official in the kernel (again)...lol