What is the future of TrueNAS CORE?

Davvo

MVP
I don't have an overly positive opinion of the GPL... unless we are talking about the cars' fuel (LPG in italian is written GPL).

Last edited:

awasb

Patron
"gioia per litro" ...

make-nz

Dabbler
We all know Vim is the only proper tool to author your thesis :)
Tue, 26 Jul 2016 06:42:19 -0700

Issue #14512 has been updated by Kris Moore.
Yes, please add 'mc' to the included ports. Its small, but some folks live and die by this file-manager.

Feature #14512: Include Midnight Commander in FreeNAS

• Author: Matt Kessler
Back then I used to teach basic Linux tasks for some years. The students had to write some stuff on a server over ssh and I was using F3 in mc to review, F4 if I wanted to edit some comment, but far out mc was not available on freeNAS!!
It took some back and forth with Jordan H. back then, but then YOU, Chris Moore, came to the rescue — and yes, I'm still using it on TrueNAS CORE very happily!
Wish this thread-topic was a easy to come to rescue to… maybe by a noble knight on a shark.

rvassar

Guru
Seriously... We all know Vim is the only proper tool to author your thesis :)

Only if you're editing LaTeX source. Troff source you have to use vi. :smile:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Plus, it is the main reason why Linux cannot adopt ZFS in general. Another motivation to avoid GPLed code if I can.

Wow, I realize that most folks will not want to hear this, but I'll give it a shot anyway, because why not? :)

I do understand repeating the party mantra about why ZFS + FreeBSD == good because of licensing. I used to drink the Koolaid as well. However we also need to remember we live in the real world. If you remember back just a few short years ago, ZFS on FreeBSD was *behind* ZFS on Linux. FreeBSD was rapidly becoming a tier 2 ZFS platform. All the major new work was happening (and still is today) on Linux. If it wasn't for iX and the work we put in to "catch up" FreeBSD, there is a strong possibility it would be hopelessly behind at this point. It may still end up that way in the not to distant future.

So while I get why some folks repeat the mantra about the superiority of integrated OpenZFS on FreeBSD. Its good marketing. But the reality is that that ship sailed a long time ago. Linux + ZFS is just as viable of a platform as FreeBSD + ZFS. Even more-so if you consider the strength in numbers and developer momentum.

Talk is cheap. Unless there is some massive new community effort into maintaining and innovating on OpenZFS in FreeBSD, you can expect it to remain a downstream consumer of the work done on Linux. Like most technology innovation these days, which starts on Linux, and maybe, eventually gets ported into FreeBSD.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
More so than Linux proper, it's more a matter of distros not picking up ZFS as a first-class citizen. Ubuntu started, got bogged down in the mud, and sort of gave up. That's a major pain in the ass while resources are wasted on technical boondoggles like btrfs and insane expectations laid upon bcachefs (that will not be met anytime soon).
And I have to believe that a lot of it has to be due to the unvarnished hostility from the kernel team, despite the great efforts from the OpenZFS community.
Licensing is just the excuse to justify their position, Canonical called that bluff a decade ago and not a peep from Oracle that ever benevolent participant in Open-Source software...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Canonical called that bluff a decade ago
...and Proxmox has offered root-on-ZFS for several years now as well--though they don't have quite the market share. And, for that matter, iX has been doing it for a few years too. Oracle's had targets if they wanted to take the shot.
unvarnished hostility from the kernel team
...but this is something I really don't understand. It's one thing to not be a great fan, but the hate is baffling to me. How's ReiserFS doing these days?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
...and Proxmox has offered root-on-ZFS for several years now as well--though they don't have quite the market share. And, for that matter, iX has been doing it for a few years too. Oracle's had targets if they wanted to take the shot.

I don't like mentioning competitors by name, but lets just say all the major BSD storage players have already migrated to Linux, or are in the process of doing so right now. Even some of them based on ZFS, so that tide has clearly shifted.

...but this is something I really don't understand. It's one thing to not be a great fan, but the hate is baffling to me. How's ReiserFS doing these days?

ReiserFS is focused on adding jails support.

Koop

Explorer
As someone very new to TrueNAS here this has been a very interesting read. I started with SCALE only a few months ago for my happy home NAS.

Just want to say I have nothing but respect for you @Kris Moore for taking the time to stop and answer so many questions from the community here. Again, as someone new looking from the outside it gives me a very positive impression of iXsystems.

Figured it was worth saying. Sorry my $0.02 can't buy you a coffee.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How's ReiserFS doing these days?
The whole wife murder thing was a bucket of cold water on any excitement around that FS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danb35

Hall of Famer
The whole wife murder thing was a bucket of cold water on any excitement around that FS.
...which was my point. Linux has been looking for teh new hawtness in filesystems for a long time, and has been way to willing to jump on just about anything to get there. Rather than using existing, proven solutions.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
ReiserFS is focused on adding jails support.
498ed76be651cffb6bb9bac6a9bb75c3.png

sremick

Patron
Linux has been looking for teh new hawtness in ________ for a long time, and has been way to willing to jump on just about anything to get there. Rather than using existing, proven solutions.
FTFY. Fill in the blank with just about anything.

Therein lies one of the biggest problems with Linux, in start contrast with FreeBSD. And therefore what makes FreeBSD superior for servers, regardless of "marketshare".

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
As someone very new to TrueNAS here this has been a very interesting read. I started with SCALE only a few months ago for my happy home NAS.

Just want to say I have nothing but respect for you @Kris Moore for taking the time to stop and answer so many questions from the community here. Again, as someone new looking from the outside it gives me a very positive impression of iXsystems.

Figured it was worth saying. Sorry my $0.02 can't buy you a coffee.

Appreciate the kind words. I realize not everybody will agree on everything. Human nature and all that. But part of us having a thriving growing community is engaging with each other in a respectful way, even when we do disagree. Far too many projects and companies aren't engaged with their users IMHO :)

Koop

Explorer
Far too many projects and companies aren't engaged with their users IMHO :)

Trust me when I say we are in BIG agreement here. Especially when companies actively avoid listening and communicating with no downside. I see it a ton.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor