What is the future of TrueNAS CORE?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Maybe we can start a thread to discuss this. Who is behind it?
All will be revealed in due time. What's the point of a thread full of speculation? There are people with knowledge and intent who by all means want to keep CORE alive as a true open community project. Please let them take their time to come up with an official announcement.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
All will be revealed in due time. What's the point of a thread full of speculation? There are people with knowledge and intent who by all means want to keep CORE alive as a true open community project. Please let them take their time to come up with an official announcement.
Understood, and fully agree. But please do keep in mind that some of us here, some of us very FreeBSD focused, very eager to keep CORE alive and well supported, and some of us even wanting to contribute in one way or another (I'm personally well-versed in webdev & devops), would very much appreciate participating in discussions taking place.

Just saying ;)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Understood, and fully agree. But please do keep in mind that some of us here, some of us very FreeBSD focused, very eager to keep CORE alive and well supported, and some of us even wanting to contribute in one way or another (I'm personally well-versed in webdev & devops), would very much appreciate participating in discussions taking place.

Just saying ;)
Granted. But given the fact that we will be getting the "best TrueNAS CORE ever" from iXsystems with a lifetime of roughly two more years, I doubt we need to rush things right now. If the "zvault.io" project takes off in 4, 8, or 12 weeks is not that important. I expect an open source "TrueNAS on FreeBSD" project in the first half of this year.

The reasons for the "secrecy" are not technical but organisational. Nobody wants a project on github with a lot of hype that dies within a couple of weeks. Publishing the preliminary web site instead of just registering the domain might have been a mistake.

Davvo

MVP
I mean, you have their contact information.

sremick

Patron
I for one will be opening my wallet for ongoing donations to whatever serious and legit project gets off the ground to preserve a FreeBSD-based FreeNAS fork.

If only there had been a means earlier for those of us who wanted to preserve the longevity of a FreeBSD-based FreeNAS, so that it wouldn't be abandoned due to lack of profitability.

Who is behind it?
The reasons for the "secrecy" are not technical but organisational.

cult-of-bsd.jpg

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Granted. But given the fact that we will be getting the "best TrueNAS CORE ever" from iXsystems with a lifetime of roughly two more years, I doubt we need to rush things right now. If the "zvault.io" project takes off in 4, 8, or 12 weeks is not that important. I expect an open source "TrueNAS on FreeBSD" project in the first half of this year.

The reasons for the "secrecy" are not technical but organisational. Nobody wants a project on github with a lot of hype that dies within a couple of weeks. Publishing the preliminary web site instead of just registering the domain might have been a mistake.
Don't necessarily disagree with any of the points you're making. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd love to be a part of any effort that might be taking shape.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Don't necessarily disagree with any of the points you're making. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd love to be a part of any effort that might be taking shape.
And you will be. There will be a project on github, so you will be able to create issues and pull requests. As far as I know today.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
And you will be. There will be a project on github, so you will be able to create issues and pull requests. As far as I know today.
Alright, I'll be on the lookout.

rvassar

Guru
Yikes... At least two different trademarks infringed, and they don't even have a road map yet. Sky's darkened with flying IP lawyers in... 3... 2... 1...

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Yikes... At least two different trademarks infringed, and they don't even have a road map yet. Sky's darkened with flying IP lawyers in... 3... 2... 1...
And what trademarks would those be? If you want to contribute to the viability of any project going forward, care to be a little bit more forthcoming with any potential problems you're seeing that others may be missing?

rvassar

Guru
And what trademarks would those be? If you want to contribute to the viability of any project going forward, care to be a little bit more forthcoming with any potential problems you're seeing that others may be missing?

Understand, I'm am not an employee or representative of iXsystems, and I am not a lawyer. I'm just some old guy on the Internet with a keyboard that has the crtl key next to the letter A. And I'm not particularly interested in contributing to the viability of a fork of TrueNAS, but I'm also not interested in seeing some bright enthusiastic people get ground to bits by the intellectual property legal system...

For starters... The bit about "The TrueNAS story continues" directly infringes the trademark of iXsystems. In most jurisdictions, the only entity that gets to make a claim like that is the trademark owner, or someone with a legal agreement with the trademark owner. Past that... I might be wrong, but... I'm under the impression there's a very large company that has every possible combination of "Vault" trademark regarding digital storage locked up six ways from Sunday.

grahamperrin

Dabbler
… The amount of enterprise stability fixes and hardening we do every time we jump to a new .0 of FreeBSD is a bit ridiculous. …

… The ports tree didn't suddenly start being amazing to develop against (considering what we just went through to update to 13.3, we ought to know). …

For the latter (the update to 13.3): if you were to pick the two worst pain points, what would they be?