The future of FreeNAS 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Potentially, yes, with one exception: bhyve in FN9 doesn't have the 9pfs driver which means that you won't be able to share host datasets with a container.

We might just cherry-pick these changes as well ;)
NFS/SMB is also always an alternative depending on the use-case.

MisterE2002

Patron
How invasive is backporting the features to 9.10?
A read somewhere that the new GUI uses API calls. I assume the current 9.x GUI needs to changed to use them also.
Probably introducing lots of new bugs.

I really do not understand why so much time/energy is spend to backport to 9. I really am grateful for all the work the devs are doing but Corral is still in a bad shape. Following the bug log for some time: migration issues/network issues/docker booting issues/user and group issues. Missing basic NAS functions options like changing a bad hard drive.

...and then you read that they want to change Montage to Angular for Corral. So we can report all the GUI related bugs again.

This sounds very scary. I am sticking to 9.3 for a (long) while i guess.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
How invasive is backporting the features to 9.10?
A read somewhere that the new GUI uses API calls. I assume the current 9.x GUI needs to changed to use them also.
Probably introducing lots of new bugs.

I really do not understand why so much time/energy is spend to backport to 9. I really am grateful for all the work the devs are doing but Corral is still in a bad shape. Following the bug log for some time: migration issues/network issues/docker booting issues/user and group issues. Missing basic NAS functions options like changing a bad hard drive.

...and then you read that they want to change Montage to Angular for Corral. So we can report all the GUI related bugs again.

This sounds very scary. I am sticking to 9.3 for a (long) while i guess.

Thats not correct. 9.X has had API calls for a long time. The current UI will not be changed at all. The New UI will use the existing REST API with the addition of some websocket calls.

The current UI will not be changed at all.

Thank you for keeping 9.x looking like 9.x.

Corral is looking better every day but I still much prefer the 9.x UI.

Cheers,
Matt

Arun Gupta

Dabbler
I want to express an infinite amount of thanks to the IX team for giving me an excellent product for free. Over last 8 years, I have used FreeNAS without issues. Currently, I use iSCSI, NFS, CIFS and FTP services for various testing purposes including RAC database shared storage, general purpose Linux and Windows storage and FTP storage for my security cameras. I also use Plex Media Server and ownCloud plugins.

The 9.x UI is very intuitive and does not require much knowledge to configure, it just works. To me, being able to configure every aspect of storage via the UI is extremely important and I personally do not mind the dated look of UI. It is functional.

Since Corral 11 has been released, I was a bit anxious about the future of 9.10. Luckily, I found this thread which alleviated some of my anxiety. I just wanted IX team to know that I really, truly appreciate all their hard work in maintaining the 9.x release.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

melloa

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, Release is scheduled for 2017-05-22.

melloa

Wizard

Stux

MVP
Now with all of the news, I dont know if Corral will survive till end of this year (or next year) and if the moving to FreeNAS Corral is right (it is consuming more DRAM on my VM now and give less space to ZFS ARC than 9.10.2-U2 even I do not start any docker or VM)

Well... that was prescient...

MiG

Dabbler
Out of curiosity, will there be some kind of notification in the FreeNAS webinterface if 9.10 development does eventually cease?

Last year, I built what's essentially a giant NAS that just serves files over cifs and spends most of its time offline, so apart from installing fixes for (hopefully obscure) 9.10 bugs I might potentially run into, I'm happy to postpone any major upgrades (and their associated risks) until a successor version has been considered 'stable' for a long period of time.
As I'm also an infrequent visitor here and receive so much email these days that newsletters sometimes get drowned out, a message in the 'update' tab (that I do usually check when it's online, linux habit) would be quite helpful :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS 11 is the continuation of 9.10. Don't expect anything but the occasional security fix on 9.10 going forward.

Stux

MVP
Out of curiosity, will there be some kind of notification in the FreeNAS webinterface if 9.10 development does eventually cease?

Last year, I built what's essentially a giant NAS that just serves files over cifs and spends most of its time offline, so apart from installing fixes for (hopefully obscure) 9.10 bugs I might potentially run into, I'm happy to postpone any major upgrades (and their associated risks) until a successor version has been considered 'stable' for a long period of time.
As I'm also an infrequent visitor here and receive so much email these days that newsletters sometimes get drowned out, a message in the 'update' tab (that I do usually check when it's online, linux habit) would be quite helpful :)

Remember, before it was renamed, FreeNAS 11 was going to be FreeNAS 9.10.3

MiG

Dabbler
FreeNAS 11 is the continuation of 9.10. Don't expect anything but the occasional security fix on 9.10 going forward.
I'm aware, but I assume there'll be an EOL at some point where even these won't happen anymore, at least not offered through the update system.

ewhac

Contributor
Sooo... A straight update from 9.10.2 to 11 should be virtually seamless, correct?

I mean, obviously, back up configs and so forth, and maybe re-setup some custom jails, but going to 11 shouldn't require a complete reconfiguration from scratch, right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Right.

Stux

MVP
My 9.10.2 upgrades to 11-RC were seamless.

TotalRecall

Dabbler
Im so confused. I upgrade to corral and now find out its canned and must downgrade to 9.x with less features?
WHAT WAS wrong with corral :(

enemy85

Guru

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.