FreeNAS Update 5/19/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Happy Friday everybody! Already, enough with the pleasantries, let's do what you came here for… Talk some FreeNAS!

First up: 11.0. As many of you have seen, RC2 has gone out the door with a variety of bugfixes earlier this week. Thank you everybody who has helped test and report issues, we very much appreciate it! We are now getting spun up for a RC3 this coming Monday the 22nd, with the release looking like the following Monday the 29th. Please keep testing and reporting issues so we can do our best to make this a rock-solid release.

Meanwhile for those who have been running nightlies, you’ve probably begun seeing some cool new changes in the work-in-progress Angular UI. We’ll get more in-depth on those at a later point, but for now I wanted to show off a nice screenshot with some of the theme work that has gone into it. And before you ask, yes we’re working towards having multiple themes that you can select from.

fn11-05192017.jpg

Lastly, I wanted to turn your attention to something new on the horizon. As many of our dedicated FreeNAS users know, we’ve been working hard on a new direction for our legacy Jails and Plugins infrastructure. This has mainly been focused around our efforts in the new python-based iocage rewrite. With the upcoming RC3 this next week, we will have the latest hotness in the form of iocage 0.9.8 included and we would welcome community testing and feedback. This is going to be available for testing as a command-line interface for 11.0, with the plan to merge it fully into the UI for 11.1. In addition to iocage’s jail functionality, we’ve also worked hard on a much-improved Plugin format. This new framework allows very rapid plugin development and the ability for users to create their own plugins, usually with a very minimal effort involving some JSON and a setup script. We’ve created an example set of plugins already, and before you ask, yes we have Plex, Crashplan and a variety of others, including GitLab. Installing them from the CLI is pretty straight forward using the following command:

# iocage fetch --plugins ip4_addr="igb0|192.168.0.91/24"

Just be sure to replace igb0 with your network interface, and 192.168.0.91/24 with the IP address you want this plugin to run on. We would welcome some brave early testers to start giving us feedback on these plugins (in addition to iocage’s usual jail functionality) as we begin our efforts to merge this work into the user interface, coming soon to a nightly image near you.

Thanks everybody for reading and keep on NAS’ing!

JustinClift

Patron
That looks pretty nifty. Both the screenshot, and the plugin formats.

Looking at the json fields, what does "packagesite" do? eg:

https://github.com/freenas/iocage-i...fc7541876ca5014238b0a210fac/syncthing.json#L9

I can see what looks like OS packages in the one defined in the iocage-ix-plugins. Guessing this gives flexibility for places wanting to deploy custom stuff (eg "internal-to-their-business-only" plugins), so they could provide a packagesite pointing to an internal server?

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
"packagesite" is used to point to whichever collection of FreeBSD packages you want to pull from (usually made with tools like poudriere). We will be hosting our own set for "official" iX / FreeNAS plugins, but you can use your own, or even use FreeBSD's public pkg repos for 11.0 if you want to avoid compiling / hosting on your own. If you did that, then all you need is a github artifact repo which contains post-install scripts and configuration knobx.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Kris Moore
I really like the path that iXsystems is taking with respect to all the testing and even having RC3, everyone wants a reliable product and I feel you are doing what is required to make that happen. With any luck there will be no major changes to force a RC4.

The list of plugins is nice and will appeal to many people here who currently use plugins. I for one cannot wait to play with the new jails, I just need to get some time.

Looking forward to the offical release of FreeNAS 11.0 !

Stilez

Guru
Thank you Kris and everyone at iX, for the very obvious amount of care that's gone into testing and bug-checking FreeNAS 11, and for the "full works" of running not just 1, but 3 RCs, to make sure it's good.
This is the kind of care that really reassures people out here; it's very appreciated and bodes well for the future of iX and FreeNAS.

(So much better than having an unfortunate bug encounter with one's data:eek:)

Michael Schultz

Dabbler
Nobody wants jails. Give us docker.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems

joeschmuck

Old Man

Brer

Explorer
Thanks for the update and I take it that the nightly's supersede any RC release?

adrianwi

Guru
+1 for jails! Will 9.10 jails continue to work and update in 11?

Brer

Explorer
my personal plex champ is fn11 + ubuntu vm running docker :))
not only plex btw. :)

This may slightly be side tracking the whole topic but my Plex champ is FN11 + Arch Linux VM, no docker. Ability to save out your Plex Media Folder with ease for future tinkering and FN updates. :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Nobody wants jails. Give us docker.
Those of us currently running jails on 9.10 want jails to hang around so there is a several month long period where both jails and docker are available. This will allow us to transition services from jails to docker gradually, with time to test the service in docker before shutting it down in the jail.

LaserAllan

Dabbler
Kris, this is awesome :)

How does support for graphite/influxdb and prometheus look in FreeNAS 11?

SavageAUS

Patron
So with this
# iocage fetch --plugins ip4_addr="igb0|192.168.0.91/24"
Do we replace "plugins" with actual plugin name ?
# iocage fetch --crashplan ip4_addr="igb0|192.168.0.91/24"
?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nevermind I figured it out.

But how do we mount datasets into an iocage jail?

Last edited:

SavageAUS

Patron

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
But how do we mount datasets into an iocage jail?

I don't have the syntax right in front of me, but the iocage command has a fstab option that lets you add / edit / remove fstab lines, which are your nullfs mounts into the jail. Should be in the man page, but ill try to post an example when I'm in front of a computer again.

xCatalystx

Contributor
is docker integration + GUI on the roadmap for 11.1? do we have a ruff roadmap for post 11.x

EDIT: I'm quite happy to run CoreOS for docker + portainer (or whatever else), but native integration was something i really was looking forward to in corral.

Status
Not open for further replies.