This Week in FreeNAS 4/21/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It’s Friday, and what a busy week we’ve had. I wanted to take a quick moment to briefly update folks on some of the on-goings in FreeNAS land this week. Without further ado here are some of the highlights, in no particular order:

• 9.10.2-U3 Released - This is a bugfix to address a very specific regression we discovered in the 9.10 series as it relates to SMB shares when doing listings of directories with large numbers of files. Users of SMB shares should notice a *very* significant speed improvement with this patch applied. #23459
  • Renaming to 11.0 - As many of you know, we’ve been hard at work on what was to become 9.10.3 in the next few weeks. As part of this update, we have also bumped the base OS version to FreeBSD stable/11. This is a significant enough update that we wanted to take this opportunity to return to a saner form of versioning that more closely follows the underlying OS version. Moving forward you’ll be seeing releases like 11.0, 11.0-U1 (Update #1), 11.1 and so forth, eventually moving to 12.0 once we rebase on FreeBSD 12 (still a couple years off).

• New UI Functionality - Our iX team has been hard at work getting spun-up for the new Angular-based UI. They’ve already started committing new functionality to the UI, this week in particular adding a new “Snapshots” management page.

FN11UI-Snapshots.jpg

Thanks for reading! We will be trying to post somewhat frequently to keep everybody up to speed with the ongoing development efforts of FreeNAS 11 and beyond.

I - probably a minority - love the 9.x interface. Am I correct in thinking that the UI will not change in the 9.10-STABLE train? In order to get the new interface, you'll have to jump to the 11 train?

Cheers,
Matt

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Even on 11, the old UI is still there and the default. The new one is very much WIP.

Thanks, @Ericloewe. That's a load off my mind.

Cheers,
Matt

diedrichg

Wizard
[*]New UI Functionality - They’ve already started committing new functionality to the UI, this week in particular adding a new “Snapshots” management page.
I have a feature request in to select all, some, none snapshots. In the 9.x series we could simply select snapshot row #1 and then shift+click the last row to be deleted. Does this new UI have at least that capability?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's a link in the login screen.

pernils

Explorer
As the bug now have been fixed it's time to see how it performs.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...9-10-folder-browsing-linux.50744/#post-372520

Kris: Is it public what was the cause of the regression ? And is there some discussion to investigate how it would be possible to boost samba even more ? Even with all the benefits of zfs .. the end user don't see it .. he/she only see if it start to be slow.
(I'm only talking samba here as I only have windows clients)

joeschmuck

Old Man
The new UI is not bad and of course it's not finished but it's coming along nicely, however the color scheme is not to my personal liking. Having a few optioanl color schemes would be nice. Think I'll submit a feature request. Right now I still prefer the old style GUI, it's very easy to read and operate.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It already is available in the nightlies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It helps to read a little bit before asking, the answer is four posts above your first post:
There's a link in the login screen.

Osiris

Contributor
Ahem. Don't take this the wrong way please.

The new ui colors are hurting my sense of style. And my eyes.
It would be cool to be able to choose between a few colorschemes/-templates.
You might have fired your webdesign & style guy, but really, ditch the blueish bg & go for white or something.

update/edit:
ok I just read in the above posts that that's planned.
You'd do me a favor to push this plan a bit forward.

NASnewbi916

Dabbler
To get some clarification what is the difference between 9.10.3/9.10.4 and 11?

Thanks for your help..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What part of the OP is unclear? It specifically states that 9.10.3 was renamed to 11.0.

Renaming to 11.0 - As many of you know, we’ve been hard at work on what was to become 9.10.3 in the next few weeks. As part of this update, we have also bumped the base OS version to FreeBSD stable/11. This is a significant enough update that we wanted to take this opportunity to return to a saner form of versioning that more closely follows the underlying OS version. Moving forward you’ll be seeing releases like 11.0, 11.0-U1 (Update #1), 11.1 and so forth,

Mlovelace

Guru

Thanks for your help..
FreeNAS 11 will have its base OS built on FreeBSD 11. Currently 9.10.X is built on FreeBSD 10.3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.