New Features in Nightlies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Folks,

Wanted to give a brief update on some of the new functionality / features that's starting to appear in the 9.10 nightlies.

First of all, we've bumped the version of FreeBSD from 10.3 -> 11-STABLE. This brings with it a host of updated drivers, new features, bhyve enhancements and more. Please test and let us know if anything appears to regress from this switch-over.

Next, you may notice a new "VM" button on the toolbar. We've imported a bhyve front-end from another git project, which allows you to start / run VM's directly from the UI now. This is still under active work by Marcelo at iX, so please test and report issues to the bug tracker.

Another project in the pipeline is the migration to Python3 for FreeNAS. This is currently in a feature branch, but will hopefully be making an appearance in the nightlies in the near future.

Lastly, we've started the process of bringing in the new 'iocage' backend for Jail and Plugin management. This will probably only be available in API form for 9.10.3, but for 9.10.4 we hope to have the full UI switched over, and migration from the legacy 'warden' based jails complete. In particular we are trying to greatly improve and simplify the process of creating new plugins for FreeNAS, which will allow you to create and publish your own relatively easily (No python / django knowledge required). At the moment this is still under heavy development, but for those interested in which repos to follow, here's some good links to get started:

https://github.com/iocage/iocage/
https://github.com/iXsystems/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver
https://github.com/iXsystems/iocage-ix-plugins

Some additional documentation will begin appearing at those URLs in the coming days, and for the adventurous you'll be able to experiment with iocage jails / plugins at the CLI (which is how we do most of our internal development/testing)

bigphil

Patron
That's awesome! Thanks for the great work on this product!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thrilled to see some jail development continuing, thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Anyone testing this, please check if zpool status says that the boot pool needs updating. That's my canary for "fixes from 9.3 were lost, like what happened in 9.10".

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I am not familiar with the differences between Warden versus IOcage/IOhyve for jails. I assume that a Warden jail on FreeNAS 9.10 will eventually be a simple transition to IOcage, but (1)what can we expect for the process for those of us who may already have Warden style jails on our system? (2)What would we need to do when the backend switches from Warden to IOcage, with regard to the jails already present? Of course new jails may have small interaction differences (such as new shell commands), possible file path differences, but any disparity is only significant to a switch from one type to the other for pre-existing.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Part of the conversion (And why we aren't just replacing it just on a whim) will be to migrate your old warden based jails. The contents will be the same, part of the migration will be to convert some of the mountpoints and settings to iocage's format native format. We are aiming for there to be little to no user-interaction required, since the settings from one pretty cleanly apply to the other. Going from Jail -> Jail isn't so hard ;)

BunEy

Dabbler
where's the dl link?
This still shows 20170205.

bigphil

Patron
Backup a couple levels and try the MASTER branch...nightly builds are in there.

BunEy

Dabbler
thanks... i tried previous version and this latest
on Kabylake and it gets stuck at installing base os 1 of 5. 100%

m0nkey_

MVP
Anyone testing this, please check if zpool status says that the boot pool needs updating. That's my canary for "fixes from 9.3 were lost, like what happened in 9.10".
Doesn't look like any regression with the update to FreeBSD 11 base.

upload_2017-2-17_9-51-6.png

m0nkey_

MVP
Wow, a VGA console in FreeNAS 9.10 nightly. I'm impressed! Here's a screenshot of installing Debian 8 in a FreeNAS 9.10 Bhyve VM.

upload_2017-2-17_10-8-3.png

I have found a small bug when choosing an ISO image to use, I'll report that shortly.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    260.5 KB · Views: 444

Brandon Schneider

Arbiter of iocage
iXsystems
Great to see some excitement over the jails sticking around ;)

The user may not see many changes, as the overall technology is the same. But the power user, like the one who may write a plugin, will immediately notice a clear advantage. You won't need a wiki and a sacrifice to do it anymore!

As you noted @Tigersharke, the paths will change. As iocage has all of it's datasets under a POOL/iocage mountpoint. The cli syntax is also quite different. But for anybody using the GUI, the hope is you have no idea the transition took place unless you read the patch notes.

Brandon Schneider

Arbiter of iocage
iXsystems
I certainly hope this is the case. What can we expect to happen to our existing jails? Will they automatically be moved over to the POOL/iocage dataset?
Well the exact implementation details haven't been quite ironed out, but the end goal is yes that everything will be automatically living under the POOL/iocage dataset.

ManfredU

Dabbler
Hi,

is it possible to use iocage already from the command line? I'm using the latest nightlies FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201704240408 (3b6bcb4).

Code:
[manfred@freenas2 ~]$ sudo iocage fetch 
[0] 9.3-RELEASE (EOL)
[1] 10.1-RELEASE (EOL)
[2] 10.2-RELEASE (EOL)
[3] 10.3-RELEASE
[4] 11.0-RELEASE

Which release do you want to fetch? (EXIT) 4
Fetching: 11.0-RELEASE

Extracting: base.txz... 
Extracting: lib32.txz... 
Extracting: doc.txz... 

* Updating 11.0-RELEASE to the latest patch level... 
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 2 metadata files... failed.
Error occured, 11.0-RELEASE was not updated to the latest patch level.

Brandon Schneider

Arbiter of iocage
iXsystems
Hi,

is it possible to use iocage already from the command line? I'm using the latest nightlies FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201704240408 (3b6bcb4).

Code:
[manfred@freenas2 ~]$ sudo iocage fetch
[0] 9.3-RELEASE (EOL)
[1] 10.1-RELEASE (EOL)
[2] 10.2-RELEASE (EOL)
[3] 10.3-RELEASE
[4] 11.0-RELEASE

Which release do you want to fetch? (EXIT) 4
Fetching: 11.0-RELEASE

Extracting: base.txz...
Extracting: lib32.txz...
Extracting: doc.txz...

* Updating 11.0-RELEASE to the latest patch level...
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 2 metadata files... failed.
Error occured, 11.0-RELEASE was not updated to the latest patch level.

So that is actually expected currently. I haven't had time to dig into the freebsd-update failure on FreeNAS yet. Don't worry it's not a fatal error :)

You still fetched 11.0-RELEASE and you can still create and manage jails with it. That error is just for updating the RELEASE to the latest patch level. I wouldn't expose my jails to any external network until this is solved though. Also do note updating and upgrading will give you the same error. Hold tight, we will get this solved sooner then later :)

ManfredU

Dabbler
Ah ok, thanks for the reply. I thought it's fatal und did not continue with jail creation. But I did this now and it worked!

How do I mount a folder / dataset from FreeNAS inside a jail?

Brandon Schneider

Arbiter of iocage
iXsystems
Ah ok, thanks for the reply. I thought it's fatal und did not continue with jail creation. But I did this now and it worked!

How do I mount a folder / dataset from FreeNAS inside a jail?

Call
Code:
iocage fstab -a JAIL "/the/source/host/dir	/the/dest/dir/in/the/jail	nullfs	ro	0	0"
You can replace
Code:
ro
with
Code:
rw
or add any options you want. Essentially you supply iocage an fstab string and it will map the destination to the jail you specify. I plan on simplifying it, but currently it's a verbose operation.

ManfredU

Dabbler
Is it possible to have a separate mac addresses for the jails?

Currrently all IP addresses appear on the host interface, but I need to forward ports to the outside in the router and there can be only one ip addresse per mac address configured. I tried to follow the older iocage documentation for vnet in the hope that that help me, but then the web gui of freenas was no longer available and I had to boot an older boot configuration.

SavageAUS

Patron
Is FreeNAS 11 still expected to land today? 1-5-17? I still see 13 open tickets. The roadmap still says due in one day but for me in South Australia it's the 1st.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.