FreeNAS 11.0 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, -U2 has a few urgent security fixes. The bulk of the work was moved to -U3.

rogerh

Guru
Sorry if these are stupid questions (that may have been addressed above and misunderstood), but what is the status of 11.0-U1? I can't locate it in the roadmap (seems to go straight to U2), but there is mention of it being in QA in this thread. Also, being generally ignorant of the development process, will U2-U4 be shipped prior to 11.1? e.g. Will 11.1 be deferred until the U2-U4 updates are completed, or do they roll forward / get included in the 11.1 release? I don't understand the structure of the roadmap relative to the expected release schedule - if anyone could shed some light, I'd be grateful.
As an observer it seems more likely that they will continue releasing minor updates (U2,U3 etc.) until 11.1, and the important things they want to put in it, are ready. So, no, the minor updates won't delay 11.1, they will do as many as they need. And, as you say, any minor improvements that are ready when 11.1 is released will be included in it.

VladTepes

Patron
OK so I have been away for a bit, having initially tried to set up my FreeNAS, got frustrated, and then got distracted with other things (life gets in the way etc...)

Anyway last time I visited there were all the coral issues so I didn't upgrade to that.

so I log in today and see... FreeNAS 11. !!!!

Cool.

So given that my freeNAS 9.10 install is just 'basic' is it preferable to do a scratch install of 11.x or is the upgrade path to whatever the stable version of 11 is, perfectly acceptable?

Thanks all.

Stux

MVP
If you're not using jails, then the upgrade should be pretty trouble free.

Backup your config file just in case.

VladTepes

Patron
Which begs the question...

If i did have jails?

Stux

MVP
Which begs the question...

If i did have jails?

Depending on the age of the jails, you might need to do something, since the underlying jail os has changed. But I've no experience with jails.

adrianwi

Guru
My understanding is that the version of FreeBSD has been updated from 9.10 to 11 (FreeBSD 10 to 11) so from my experience with updating FreeNAS 9.3 (FreeBSD 9) to 9.10 (FreeBSD 10) the jails will continue to work, but you won't be able to update the core files or install anything new from pkgs or ports. It will still be possible to update some things by fetching new files (e.g. ownCloud) but at some point you'll need to recreate the jail.

I'm hoping the new jails in FreeNAS 11.1 manage to resolve this, as it's a pain having to rebuild something that otherwise is working fine. I've got a mix of 9.10 and 9.3 jails on my system at the minute, as I suspect they'll all need rebuilding in 11.1!

danb35

Hall of Famer
It will still be possible to update some things by fetching new files (e.g. ownCloud) but at some point you'll need to recreate the jail.
That's been my understanding, but not my experience. I built my server on FreeNAS 9.10, and installed a number of jails on it. A couple of months ago, I upgraded to 11.0-U2. Thus far, pkg commands have continued to work without issue, and I'm running a scheduled pkg upgrade in each of them without errors. I haven't tried creating new jails, though, so I can't say how that would work.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm running a scheduled pkg upgrade in each of them without errors.
Is this set up in each jail or through the task scheduler in the GUI? Are any of your jails running php or mysql/Mariadb? Just curious how you restart services that need to be restarted after an upgrade with the jails package upgrade automated.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have a very simple script running weekly via a cron job set up in the FreeNAS GUI:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
for JAIL in boinc caddy downloaders plexconnect plexmediaserver urbackup rclone
do
  jexec $JAIL pkg upgrade -y
done

I don't believe any of those run php or mysql, though I wouldn't expect there to be any differences with those packages.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Plex also needs to be restarted after an upgrade. Do you do that manually?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Plex also needs to be restarted after an upgrade. Do you do that manually?
Pretty much. I should add a few lines to the script to restart services that might have been upgraded (Plex, SAB, Sonarr).

VladTepes

Patron
Well, now that I have updated from 9.10 to 11.0-U2 I have a complaint.
I never managed to get CIFS/SMB shares working properly.
But now they just WORK ! :)

I'm happy :)

jclendineng

Explorer
My understanding is that the version of FreeBSD has been updated from 9.10 to 11 (FreeBSD 10 to 11) so from my experience with updating FreeNAS 9.3 (FreeBSD 9) to 9.10 (FreeBSD 10) the jails will continue to work, but you won't be able to update the core files or install anything new from pkgs or ports. It will still be possible to update some things by fetching new files (e.g. ownCloud) but at some point you'll need to recreate the jail.

I'm hoping the new jails in FreeNAS 11.1 manage to resolve this, as it's a pain having to rebuild something that otherwise is working fine. I've got a mix of 9.10 and 9.3 jails on my system at the minute, as I suspect they'll all need rebuilding in 11.1!

Jails are pretty easy to migrate over, what I did was basically do a clean install of 11, and import my drives/jails again. So, the jails are not under the standard prebuilt "Plugins" section but they are under "Jails" of course and they still work. All you need to do is go to that tab to restart/start/stop jails. I also use a script to keep plex updated, though I am still running an older version of nextcloud.

VladTepes

Patron
Is there a built in system user named media in this build? All of my data is owned by media:1000. Will I have to create a new user and ID to make the switch?

I was just reading about jails and remembered your question!

A media user and group (GID 8675309) are part of the base system. Having applications run as this group or user makes it possible to share storage between multiple applications in a single jail, between multiple jails, or even between the host and jails.

Zwck

Patron
I guess -U3 has been released

Code:
A new update is available for the FreeNAS-11-STABLE train.
Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U3
Changelog:
#17264 Add dedicated user example to replication section of Guide
#23851 Improve Troubleshooting SMB section of Guide
#24015 Parallelize freenas-debug scripts
#24039 Only start nfsuserd if GIDS > 16
#24148 Add text to Service buttons
#24272 Fix import of certificates converted from CSRs
#24368 Fix import of degraded pool
#24371 Change default boot scrub interval to 7 days
#24405 Speed improvement for replication
#24444 Filter out non-domain results for Active Directory
#24489 Document how to change CA Cert for Active Directory
#24608 Setup idmap autorid correctly
#24755 Fix zh_CN locale
#24759 Fix "Run now" button for Cron Jobs and Rsync Tasks
#24765 Add ipmitool sel elist to freenas-debug
#24778 Fix traceback on volume detach
#24789 Add AMD processors info to VM section of Guide
#24810 Document interface name change
#24866 Add proxy support when submitting debugs
#24936 Fix display of unlocked encrypted volume
#24973 Keep LC_ALL and LANG variables when starting a service
#24987 MOTD Banner need not be mandatory
#25035 Document zvol path length limitation
#25055 Fix disabled snapshot tasks
#25106 Fix adtool traceback
#25247 Document Proxy Bypass
#25325 Fix warden traceback
#25326 Fix UTF-8 encoding for Auxiliary Parameters
#25327 Fix LDAP status and OpenLDAP configuration
#25359 Document another instance that prevents Control Services from loading
#25365 Clean up tmp rc.conf
#25427 Unable to import NTFS drive
#25435 Remove Corral as an upgrade choice
#25470 Don't run net commands until smb4.conf exists
#25478 Specifically recommend device extents with zvols for performance in Guide
#25485 Fix vfs_winmsa
#25499 Improve tooltip for Edit dialog of Windows (SMB) Share
#25525 Move consul_dir to /var/tmp
#25532 Fix smartd panic
#25556 Fix incorrect tab names in Storage section of Guide

gpsguy

Thanks for the heads up.

I built the -u3 docs a few days ago, but was waiting for it's release. I'll publish them after work (in about 12 hours).

I guess -U3 has been released

jcpro

Cadet
Why don't you guys have a better system / blog in place so users can read up on these updates instead of having to search google implicitly for "FreeNAS-11.0-U3"? Eg, when pfSense releases updates there's a nice blog entry you can read which breaks down the changes and anything new. That's nice. Don't see anything related to this on http://www.freenas.org/blog/ so if I'm wrong I apologize and retract my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.