FreeNAS 11.0 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Loyal FreeNAS users,

After many long nights, too much caffeine, and 4 (count’em) RC’s we are pleased to announce that FreeNAS 11.0 is now available!

This release brings the underlying FreeNAS OS up to FreeBSD 11-STABLE, and with it some performance improvements, newer hardware compatibility and more. On the FreeNAS side we’ve now added the ability to run VMs through bhyve (BSD hypervisor), support for hosting S3 object-stores, an early look at our work-in-progress Angular UI, and the initial API / CLI versions of iocage jail management. In addition there have been a number of behind the scenes improvements, such as migrating to python3, which will allow us to quickly iterate upon the 11.X series, adding new features as we go.

Users who are ready to upgrade can do so today by switching to the 11-STABLE train from their user-interface, while those who want to start fresh can grab ISO’s at the usual download locations.

Thanks for your patience and loyal FreeNAS use! As usual, let us know if you run into any issues on our bug tracker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liriel

Dabbler
Thanks for all your hard work! Will the 9.10 train continue to receive updates or is 11 considered the successor to 9.10?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for all your hard work! Will the 9.10 train continue to receive updates or is 11 considered the successor to 9.10?

The FreeNAS engineering / docs / qa teams we have are amazing, so no credit to me, they did fantastic work on this. As for 9.10, at the moment there are no planned updates to that series, 11.0 and beyond is the train to follow.

emk2203

Guru
Thanks for your hard work as usual, and for people encountering a hung update in the last step:

During the update from 11RC4 to 11RELEASE, my systems both hung at the last step (5/5 Installing FreeNAS-UI). I logged into a second user interface instance and got the message "update applied, reboot needed". A manual reboot finished the update process.

BloodyIron

Contributor
giphy.gif

Ahem... I mean.. Yay! :rolleyes:

Serious questions though:
  1. NFS v4.1? or pNFS?
  2. Samba version?
  3. ZFSD?
  4. Can the bhyve VM ecosystem import/export VM disk images or packages via the webGUI? (OVA, VMDK, COW2, etc)
  5. VMs, can they do "VM-esque" backups (snapshots)? Or is that going to be a ZFS snapshot thing? (unsure if ZFS snapshots will adversely affect consistency)
  6. When can I see FreeNAS floppies at my local grocers?
  7. SMB 3.1? :^)
  8. How are jails being handled 9.10.x -> 11.0? (I'll need this info to tell people)
  9. Can I touch cyberjock some time this week?
  10. Does it boot up faster? (PLEASE SAY YES)

Last edited:

colinhd8

Cadet
Cool! Thanks for the hard work. Just looking for a new build of FreeNAS, then I find that version 11 released. like FreeNAS 10's ui, hope it will be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:

scrappy

Patron
A big thanks to everyone involved in making 11.0 possible!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
giphy.gif

Ahem... I mean.. Yay! :rolleyes:

Serious questions though:
  1. NFS v4.1? or pNFS?
  2. Samba version?
  3. ZFSD?
  4. Can the bhyve VM ecosystem import/export VM disk images or packages via the webGUI? (OVA, VMDK, COW2, etc)
  5. VMs, can they do "VM-esque" backups (snapshots)? Or is that going to be a ZFS snapshot thing? (unsure if ZFS snapshots will adversely affect consistency)
  6. When can I see FreeNAS floppies at my local grocers?
  7. SMB 3.1? :^)
  8. How are jails being handled 9.10.x -> 11.0? (I'll need this info to tell people)
  9. Can I touch cyberjock some time this week?
  10. Does it boot up faster? (PLEASE SAY YES)

1. NFS 4.1, but no pNFS (Still in development on FreeBSD side)
2. https://github.com/freenas/samba/blob/freenas/11.0-stable/VERSION (4.6.4)
3. Built into FreeBSD base system
4. Not yet, command-line yes, but down the road having web-based import/export of various disk formats will be something we are interested in.
5. Snapshots are ZFS based and only snap the storage, not the VM memory
6. Late 2017 - Have a deal with DeliMeats4Less that will offer a 356 Floppy Disk "Special-edition" of FreeNAS 11. Extra charge for 5.25" disks
8. They migrate as usual, that code will mostly be changing in 11.1
9. (I don't want details)
10. Errrr, Yes? (Actually don't know offhand)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Boot times are indistinguishable to the naked eye from 9.10, FWIW.

Barlog951

Dabbler
Thanks for the new release

Will it be possible to migrate from 10.0, in next release? Or late this year?

EDIT:
Doker migration etc ...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

usergiven

Dabbler
This is good news! Thank you for your efforts. I have a question regarding ZFS replication. Does FN11 allow for sending and/or receiving ZFS snapshots from zfs pools that are located on remote hosts that don't run FN11?

Barlog951

Dabbler

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
This is good news! Thank you for your efforts. I have a question regarding ZFS replication. Does FN11 allow for sending and/or receiving ZFS snapshots from zfs pools that are located on remote hosts that don't run FN11?

Yep, no non-standard ZFS features are present, so normal rules for ZFS replication apply. You will be able to replicate to <-> from other ZFS pools.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
---------
FreeNAS 11.1 (Formerly FreeNAS 9.10.4)
  • Adds GUI support for Docker containers, much like Corral
---------

so this adds opportunity migrate from my docker images from Coral?
Or I must re-create my docker images again (in 11.1)?
What is there to "recreate"? Just install what you need and copy over the config files.

ajankuv

Cadet
Upgrade from 9.10 -> 11 is it pretty straight forward? Or is there anything I should be looking for?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Upgrade from 9.10 -> 11 is it pretty straight forward? Or is there anything I should be looking for?
Yes, other than jails, everything should just work. Even jails will mostly work, but you might need to redo them if/when you need to update them.

Status
Not open for further replies.