Public Service Announcement: Do NOT rely on ChatGPT's <sarc>advice</sarc> on fixing or configuring TrueNAS

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is because ChatGPT will happily make stuff up in such a manner that sounds plausible, but is fundamentally GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I simultaneously can't believe we need to say this and am flabbergasted that several people did not intuitively understand how terrible of an idea this would be.

Think of every crappy AVR system you've dealt with on the phone; every worthless support chat bot for your ISP, power company or whatever; every story of machine vision failing at relatively basic tasks...

NugentS

MVP
I tried using GhatGPT to configure traefik and some other containers.
It didn't turn out well

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What's next? "Don't use ChatGPT to write the main control code for your missile defense system"?
I suspect there's a not-insignificant proportion of tax filers this year attempting to use ChatGPT to fudge their returns. Good luck with that.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's next? "Don't use ChatGPT to write the main control code for your missile defense system"?
What about optimizing code that will be compiled to MIPS R4300 to manipulate geometry?

This is because ChatGPT will happily make stuff up in such a manner that sounds plausible, but is fundamentally GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out).
I have no clue why you'd say this. What better to fix a computer than a computer??? :tongue:

NugentS

MVP
"Windows for Warheads" - coming soon from a Microsoft Partner near you

Honestly, after working on discontinued embedded systems controllers (PLCs), I don't see the issue with ChatGPT setting up servers. Because really, how bad could it be???

joeschmuck

Old Man
I know you are joking but I can confirm that we do not do that. No virtual anything in this line of work, not even simulations. We use the real hardware and test all the firmware and software out rigorously.

NugentS

MVP
In 1979 programmers at NORAD almost started World War III when they accidentally ran a computer simulation of a Soviet attack.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is funny. In my little multi-report script, in the -config screen, if you hit a button on the first screen not on the list, it will ask you if you want to play a game. That movie is where I got the line.

Davvo

MVP
Feels like the "do not put babies in the waching machine" line you find in manuals.

Feels like the "do not put babies in the washing machine" line you find in manuals.
That one I don't understand.

If a carwash is a machine to wash cars, why wouldn't a smaller washing machine be more efficient at washing babies?

ChatGPT seems to think it's a great idea. o_O

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I have always found the "Do NOT use as infant formula!" line on coffee creamer a funny one.
I'm a big fan of "Do not use in shower" on hair dryers.

It's not just unsafe, it seems downright Sisyphean.

ThreeDee

Guru