Resource icon

multi_report.sh version for Core and Scale 3.0

joeschmuck

Old Man
I actually started to look into automatically installing bc into Scale but it was problematic. @dak180 , did you submit a request to have bc built into the Scale package? I thought you did.

Fairly sure that TrueNAS Report would not have that issue if it helps any.
Thanks, I may download the current version later, after I give it a shot myself. It's the only way I learn, trial and error.

dak180

Patron

joeschmuck

Old Man
Per request, two bug fixes have been released.

### Changelog:
# V2.4.2 (19 May 2023)
# - Bug Fix to properly recognize Samsung HD103UJ HDD.
# - Bug fix to properly recognize/display more than 26 drives in Scale.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Fairly sure that TrueNAS Report would not have that issue if it helps any.
It unfortunately has the same sorting error according to @garyc, he forwarded me the output since I didn't have enough drives to test it. Take a look at my updated script, I had to create a separate sorting routine for Scale (debian) drive letters.

awasb

Patron
Don't have that much drives in one machine either. But works fine on CORE (as it did before).

joeschmuck

Old Man
Don't have that much drives in one machine either. But works fine on CORE (as it did before).
The script now sorts the Scale drives properly. For example: "sda, sdaa, sdab, sdb, sdba, sdc, sdd" now become "sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sdaa, sdab, sdba". Of course I omitted a lot of drives because if you get to sdaa, there are 26 drives listed before it (sda - sdz). That was just a sorting example. Core never had that problem because drives increment numerically.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Some folks have reported issues with the automatic updates feature and it took me a while to replicate the error. Thankfully I do not need to release an update to fix this problem. The culprit appears to be the ACL's. I am not an ACL guru, but I am able to repeatedly create a new dataset that works properly, and create failing datasets as well. I've updated the User Guide (attached) and page 8 describes how to create a working dataset for this script. I suspect you could modify your current dataset ACL's as well. Since I'm not a guru on ACL's, if you find something incorrect or you have a better way to setup the dataset, I'd like to hear it.

Attachments

• Multi_Report_User_Guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 128

Davvo

MVP

NugentS

MVP
Its not an open acl issue - or rather wasn't for me. It was ACL Mode. Setting this to passthrough sorted the error out and the script now updates correctly.

Of course I have no real idea what passthrough vs restricted (which is how mine was set) means - must read the manual. I did try asking ChatGPT for a giggle, but got a load of irrelavent rubbish back.

Davvo

MVP
Its not an open acl issue - or rather wasn't for me. It was ACL Mode. Setting this to passthrough sorted the error out and the script now updates correctly.

Of course I have no real idea what passthrough vs restricted (which is how mine was set) means - must read the manual. I did try asking ChatGPT for a giggle, but got a load of irrelavent rubbish back.
Iirc passthrough is a dataset property, open and restricted are ACL presets: they are different things.

NugentS

MVP
1684715867913.png

joeschmuck

Old Man
I personally wouldn't suggest to use an OPEN ACL preset.
Unfortunately I'm not a Guru on ACL's so I reported what worked for me. I'm sure ACL's are customizable but I'm not the person who knows how to do that. Any suggestions are welcome.

dak180

Patron
It unfortunately has the same sorting error according to @garyc, he forwarded me the output since I didn't have enough drives to test it. Take a look at my updated script, I had to create a separate sorting routine for Scale (debian) drive letters.
TrueNAS-Report will now sort more than 26 drives on Scale correctly.

daschmidt

Explorer
with the cron settings from the user guid, is it normal to get every day a email when all is good?
Whenn all is good I don't need a email

NugentS

MVP
Yes it is, if you have it set that way.

Are you talking about a cron this script has run successfully (I think you are) or a multi-report "All is Good"
If the first then edit the cron job and tick "Hide Standard Output"

daschmidt

Explorer
In the email the header is: SMART Testing Results for truenas - All is Good
And my cron settings are this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-25-07-41-05-905_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-25-07-41-05-905_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 87

NugentS

MVP
The "All is Good" is sent by multi-report itself. I am not aware of a setting to tun off All is Good reports

Davvo

MVP
IIRC there is a way to only gets mails when you have errors, look in the PDF.

joeschmuck

Old Man
IIRC there is a way to only gets mails when you have errors, look in the PDF.
The "All is Good" is sent by multi-report itself. I am not aware of a setting to tun off All is Good reports
The All Good report is not optional for a normal run.
You can use the '-m' switch however I think it only sends an email for over temp situations, to "monitor" the temps for if you had a questionable heat issue.

@daschmidt If you would prefer to not receive "All Good" emails, I would recommend you filter your email to delete emails with "SMART Testing Results for truenas - All is Good" in the subject line.

Last edited: