Memes! TrueNAS, ZFS, and related | (Share your own!)

790784-9bc9d72246a993076f1e880fae0c3986.data

allanonmage

Dabbler

Good to know that the company behind things is working with a more modern OS, with a much larger user/dev/experience base, that supports more hardware. I find it strange that 12 year old servers are preferred over less than 5 year old consumer technologies like Ryzen and Realtek 2.5GB networking. I donated such a server because I couldn't have sold it if I wanted to.

Yes I'm serious, but I totally expect to be flamed hahahahaha. It's a meme thread, so it's all in good fun, right?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Realtek 2.5GB networking
Realtek is garbage. Period. It has nothing to do with how "modern" the OS is; the hardware is garbage, and the driver support from Realtek for both Linux and BSD is nonexistent, leaving those devs to reverse-engineer something that "works," for certain values of "works", but is distinctly suboptimal. It has no place in a server, which is what TrueNAS is. Complain about it if you like, but your complaints won't change reality.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I would not argue with a Vorlon.

awasb

Patron
IMG_5785.jpeg

awasb

Patron
IMG_5786.jpeg

"Say a 'snapshot is a backup', again! Say it again! I dare you. I DOUBLE DARE YOU. Say a 'snapshot is a backup' one more time..."

awasb

Patron
IMG_5787.jpeg

freenas-vs-truenas.jpg

* Fun fact: I actually had FreeNAS 0.7 running on a cheap, used PC with 512 MB of RAM, with a Celeron processor. Extremely reliable with 100% uptime, running 24/7.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Swole Doge exercises by doing one push-up every time he loses data, though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I still maintain that Docker was made by aliens with a serious deficit of experience using systems humanity had had for decades. Why else would they have made so many bizarre decisions?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Why else would they have made so many bizarre decisions?

Because they were desperately trying to avoid ripping off phk's jail technology and Solaris zones in a pathetic effort to pretend that they were the first to invent containers. Really, @Ericloewe, sheesh. The incessant need to invent their own weird ways to do things rather than to adopt what others have done has been a constant theme throughout the history of Linux. At one time we had many UNIX-like operating systems, many lineal descendants of AT&T UNIX, others not, many of which were POSIX compliant. But what POSIX really brought to the table was essentially permission to invent your own weird ways to do stuff as long as it conformed to some basic checklist of capabilities.

Etorix

Wizard
Hmm… Contrary to many posts in this thread, I (mostly) understood this one. But I rather felt for the uncannily knowledgeable Führer until the moment he threatened to move everyone to Windows. Good idea; very wrong execution.

General: "But Docker allows us to run our applications anywhere!"

Fuhrer: "You use a VM just to run Docker on your laptop? A container inside a container! You archived a whole Linux OS, just so you can deploy a 10 MB Go binary!"

Speaking from experience? Ouch. :tongue:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The emotional damage is real in that one.