FreeNAS Forums Change-log

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
LOL, We started with "Likes" which were not a fancy icon but told you who voted to give you a Like, and we ended up with "Thanks" with an icon and are incrementing the "Likes Received" counter but no way to know who liked your posting.

Josh, Buddy, Pal, you fought a good fight and I applaud your tenacity but maybe it's time to go full circle and restore the original format. Maybe folks could chime in because maybe the majority really like the thumbs up icon. But if we keep it, can we have the counter changed to say "Thanks Received"?

Cheers,
Joe

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
LOL, We started with "Likes" which were not a fancy icon but told you who voted to give you a Like, and we ended up with "Thanks" with an icon and are incrementing the "Likes Received" counter but no way to know who liked your posting.

Josh, Buddy, Pal, you fought a good fight and I applaud your tenacity but maybe it's time to go full circle and restore the original format. Maybe folks could chime in because maybe the majority really like the thumbs up icon. But if we keep it, can we have the counter changed to say "Thanks Received"?

Cheers,
Joe
FWIW, I agree with Joe. Let's just go back to the old 'Like' scheme. :)

Nick2253

Wizard
I may be in the minority, but I like the charms. I think it's fun to have different ways of commenting on posts, like "thanks" and "agree".

However, I'll agree with the other that knowing who did the thanking/agreeing/liking is really important. If my choice was charms as they are, or likes as they were, my preference would be the latter. If, on the other hand, we could preserve the charms, but get names with it (even if it was on mouseover or on click), that would be my ultimate preference.

I think I would want to see three charms: "thanks", "agree", and "funny". I think those three are different enough to indicate different things, and it allows a bit more range of expression than just "like".

gpsguy

You can see who rated your recent posts by clicking on "Alerts" (upper right hand corner) and then "Show All" (bottom left hand corner of Alerts box). From there, click on "Ratings Received".

likes.PNG

Nick2253

Wizard
I think @joeschmuck's point is more that we can't see who rated other people's posts, which is important for context. I mean, if @cyberjock agrees with something, it means a lot more than if 10x random users agree with something.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't care about like/thanks either way. The button, as it is now, is usable on a phone. The old one was usable, too.

On the other hand, restoring the listing of users who liked a post, previously present on a post, seems important.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
The version just before this one was good because a "thanks" isn't the same as a "agree" nor a "useful" (maybe the "informational" was useless though).

Now we have something that's worse than the old likes.

gpsguy

I'll give you a "Thanks" for your statement, even though it's more of an "agree" or "like"

I guess I'll join the group that would like to have the old "likes" back.

The version just before this one was good because a "thanks" isn't the same as a "agree" ...

Bidule0hm

I'll give you a "Thanks" for your statement, even though it's more of an "agree" or "like"

I guess I'll join the group that would like to have the old "likes" back.

Yeah, it's very weird to give a thanks when we want to say that we agree or just to say a post is useful so others can see it easily.

adrianwi

Guru
I think it's fair to say that most people here don't like change!

I 'like' change, so 'thanks' :D

Bidule0hm

It's not that I don't like change but when they are worse than the things they replace, yeah, I don't like that.

I loved the new thanks/agree/useful buttons.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I mean, if @cyberjock agrees with something, it means a lot more than if 10x random users agree with something.
(Scratching my head thinking if I should be kind or just poke a joke a Cyberjocks expense)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I will do my best and bite my tongue here because the Likes and other charms are more important to other people not really myself.

Please work this out with Josh and maybe some survey (if Josh wants to do a survey or anything at all) could be taken on what folks feel are useful and what isn't useful but I don't want to take over what Josh is attempting to do which is make the forums more functional and he's making a great effort, even if I don't agree with this one small piece of the pie. Some of you may not know but Josh has made adding new users so much simpler and made my life as a moderator that much easier, so he's doing work that clearly the average user will never see. And getting back to this topic, you really can't please all the people all the time and for me it doesn't bother me much which way we go, I was just offering my honest opinion (every one has them) and I'm just one person on this forum and I'd think whatever the majority feels is useful then that would be the path forward.

So give Josh some polite feedback and if you have a suggestion, try to give it some rationale as to why you feel something should be added or changed.

I will finish up by saying that I know Josh has more of a day job than tinkering with the Likes/Thanks issue so give him some breathing room.

@JoshDW19 , hey man, sorry for making your life a living hell over the icons but I do like that you changed the counter title to "Thanks Received" to make it match. If you have something else you need me to stir up, just let me know ;).

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I will do my best and bite my tongue here because the Likes and other charms are more important to other people not really myself.

Please work this out with Josh and maybe some survey (if Josh wants to do a survey or anything at all) could be taken on what folks feel are useful and what isn't useful but I don't want to take over what Josh is attempting to do which is make the forums more functional and he's making a great effort, even if I don't agree with this one small piece of the pie. Some of you may not know but Josh has made adding new users so much simpler and made my life as a moderator that much easier, so he's doing work that clearly the average user will never see. And getting back to this topic, you really can't please all the people all the time and for me it doesn't bother me much which way we go, I was just offering my honest opinion (every one has them) and I'm just one person on this forum and I'd think whatever the majority feels is useful then that would be the path forward.

So give Josh some polite feedback and if you have a suggestion, try to give it some rationale as to why you feel something should be added or changed.

I will finish up by saying that I know Josh has more of a day job than tinkering with the Likes/Thanks issue so give him some breathing room.

@JoshDW19 , hey man, sorry for making your life a living hell over the icons but I do like that you changed the counter title to "Thanks Received" to make it match. If you have something else you need me to stir up, just let me know ;).
In the grand scheme of things this Like vs. Charms issue doesn't amount to diddly-squat! So, @JoshDW19, proceed however you see fit and ignore us old Dinosaurs! And thank you -- very much! -- for all of your hard work on the forum. We appreciate it!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
On the bright side, you now have one more "thank".

rogerh

Guru
What are Trophy Points, and does anyone care? Could they, for instance, be tidied out of the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.