Launch of New Forums!

Davvo

MVP
I do not want to have to manage this in any way.
You have, Discourse's default settings are awful. Spend your time to take a look at all the options in your notification setting panel guys, or you will quickly be overwhelmed.

Arwen

MVP
I just discovered the worst feature of Discourse, treed responses. You can reply to a specific post or response, or the thread in general. And with these "extra" replies hidden unless you click the arrow to see them, they can be over-looked.

This forum uses reply to any specific post as a quote and append post, useful for replying to specific ideas. (And if not needing to quote a post, you simply go to the bottom and enter text in the reply box. Just like I am doing now...)

Back in the bad old days, (and yes, this Elf is that old), I once replied in a new, tree style forum (I did not understand was treed). Thus, replied to a wrong branch. The person last posting on that branch got angry, abusive and the board's admin called me. I explained what I did, he clarified that it was tree based, (unlike anything I used before). He examined the messages and determined I was not in anyway responsible for the profanity and abusive language. Then purged those abusive message. I later logged in to that board and deleted my account.

Have not really used a tree based forum since that time last century.

duderuud

Dabbler
But on discourse (at least other discourse forums I belong to), when a post is marked as solved, the op has a direct link to the later post that "solved" the issue. It says something like "Solved by username in post#X" - post#X is a direct link to the solution. There is no need for endless scrolling.

Here's an example found in another discourse forum
I run a Xenforo forum too. Discourse is not the only one who offer this solution. Check out my Xenforo forum for an example of how it's done.
(It's in Dutch but the green bar with "Oplossing" (->Solution) shows the solution right below the question).

The question/answer option is available by default in Xenforo, iX just has to use it.

duderuud

Dabbler
Maybe I have missed it, but why the change? It's not that people here complain that this forum is rubbish...?

Oh, and my 2 cents: I really dislike Discourse forums. Terrible UX imo...

awasb

Patron
Just a guess: the forums were running on scale and got hacked due to some M$-generated xz backdoor that was integrated from upstream without any quality assurance.

*puttintinfoilhaton*

Redcoat

MVP
I just discovered the worst feature of Discourse, treed responses.
I share your dismay. Thank you for helping me understand another aspect of why I am not enjoying my new experience besides that of almost-mandatory category selection...

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can reply to a specific post or response, or the thread in general. And with these "extra" replies hidden unless you click the arrow to see them, they can be over-looked.
Huh? Discourse just doesn't work that way. By default, replies are placed chronologically in the topic, and replies that are directed to a particular post are marked as such (though still placed in chronological order).

If, and only if, you click the "N Replies" below a post that has replies, any replies to that post will show immediately below that post and indented, like this:

Well, never mind, thanks to silly permissions on this subforum I can't post a screen shot, so you'll have to check it out. The replies are never hidden (unless as a result of flagging or other adverse action). And a post can be in reply to more than one other post.

danb35

Hall of Famer
To illustrate the handling of replies, look at this topic:

Scroll down to Kris' next-to-last post at this time, that starts with "We're still tinkering". Click the "2 Replies" below it. You'll see two posts appear below Kris' post and indented a bit, one from @winnielinnie and the other from @Etorix. Scroll down a little, and you'll see that both of those two posts were already visible downstream of Kris' post; clicking the "2 Replies" just shows them directly under the post they're replying to.

Then go down two posts to mine, starting with "I doubt it's unique." Click on "3 Replies". You shouldn't be surprised to see three replies show up there, nor that that those three replies were already visible in the topic. You'll also notice that one of those three replies is the same as one of the two to Kris' post.

Stux

MVP
To illustrate the handling of replies, look at this topic:

Scroll down to Kris' next-to-last post at this time, that starts with "We're still tinkering". Click the "2 Replies" below it. You'll see two posts appear below Kris' post and indented a bit, one from @winnielinnie and the other from @Etorix. Scroll down a little, and you'll see that both of those two posts were already visible downstream of Kris' post; clicking the "2 Replies" just shows them directly under the post they're replying to.

Then go down two posts to mine, starting with "I doubt it's unique." Click on "3 Replies". You shouldn't be surprised to see three replies show up there, nor that that those three replies were already visible in the topic. You'll also notice that one of those three replies is the same as one of the two to Kris' post.
Looking on mobile I have no idea what you’re talking about :)

But I think it may explain something that confused me the other day ;)

Arwen

MVP

Oh, okay. So I can ignore those hidden copies of the replies and just read the thread in order. It just confusing to see treed AND linear.

tprelog

Patron
I run a Xenforo forum too. Discourse is not the only one who offer this solution. Check out my Xenforo forum for an example of how it's done.
(It's in Dutch but the green bar with "Oplossing" (->Solution) shows the solution right below the question).

The question/answer option is available by default in Xenforo, iX just has to use it.
That's cool. My reply was to a person who said they spent endless time scrolling a thread only to find out the solution wasn't what they were looking for. I was simply saying they could have just read the proposed solution, and known it was not what they were looking for without wasting time scrolling the entire thread.

Huh? Discourse just doesn't work that way. By default, replies are placed chronologically in the topic, and replies that are directed to a particular post are marked as such (though still placed in chronological order).

If, and only if, you click the "N Replies" below a post that has replies, any replies to that post will show immediately below that post and indented, like this:

Thank you for that clarification, if this was turning into a reddit type arrangement.......
well the thought was deeply concerning.

We have found a backdoor! The Old Forums shall live on in this very specific thread!

So I'm having this issue with an ARC tunable I set on my Core 13.0-U6.1 system...

Davvo

MVP
To all migrating users, you might want to take a look at the following.

Stux

MVP
Heh

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not a fan. Guess I will learn.