Launch of New Forums!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS Community,

We've been working hard on the next evolution of our TrueNAS Forums experience. We are pleased to announce that they are now available and ready for everybody to begin using over at:

https://forums.truenas.com

The new TrueNAS Forums supports both email / password logins, as well as a variety of oAuth providers to make it much easier to get started and signed in.

Our plan is to run both forums in parallel for this week only, from 2024-04-01 to 2024-04-05. This will give our active users time to wrap up any conversations in this old Xenforo instance before we place it in read-only mode on Friday 2024-04-05. The old forums will stay online in this archive mode for posterity, while the conversation continues in our new instance going forward.

Thanks and hope to see see everybody on the other side!

P.S. Yes, this is legit and not an April 1st joke :)

This will give our active users time to wrap up any conversations in this old Xenforo instance before we place it in read-only mode on Friday 2024-04-05. The old forums will stay online in this archive mode for posterity, while the conversation continues in our new instance going forward.
Will this allow us to archive our data / posts / conversations?

I'm still unable to figure out a way to do so, and forums (like anything else) are a part of a person's "history". (Even if they are anonymous, they are sentimental.)

Here is the thread for reference:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In hindsight, maybe it would've been better to wait another day.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Will this allow us to archive our data / posts / conversations?
The good news is that the new forums do allow for that. The bad news is that the old problem remains as it was discussed...

Protopia

Dabbler
Allowing only a week to "wrap up [existing] conversations seems to be a little rushed. I would recommend:

a. Stopping people from starting new conversations; and
b. Closing off all conversations that have not had any comments for (say) 2 weeks so that new comments cannot be added.
c. Making it fully read-only in (say) 4 weeks time or on 1 May.

Apollo

Wizard
The old forums will stay online in this archive mode for posterity, while the conversation continues in our new instance going forward.
Does it mean we will have to search both forums to find solution to problems that have been reported before? or will there be a way to link the old forum and make it part of the search?
As @winnielinnie pointer out, having a means for archiving our data / posts / conversations seems more relevant now.

Apollo

Wizard
The new TrueNAS Forums supports both email / password logins, as well as a variety of oAuth providers to make it much easier to get started and signed in.
In the new forum I couldn't login with my credential from the now old forum . Does it mean user accounts haven't been migrated and need to be created from scratch?

Davvo

MVP
If this is legit, I have to say that the first impression from mobile is not very positive. And not just because I confused Twitter's new logo for a bottom that closes the top bar.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ah, so you're off to Discourse, like the rest of the world. Doesn't seem like that long ago one of your admins was saying he hated that software. I don't mind it much myself--hopefully it will put an end to compulsive need to add a new forum for every bell, whistle, and knob.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
In the new forum I couldn't login with my credential from the now old forum . Does it mean user accounts haven't been migrated and need to be created from scratch?
New creds required, or use the oAuth login to create the account.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Ah, so you're off to Discourse, like the rest of the world. Doesn't seem like that long ago one of your admins was saying he hated that software. I don't mind it much myself--hopefully it will put an end to compulsive need to add a new forum for every bell, whistle, and knob.
That is the hope. We personally like it and think it'll provide a much more modern experience going forward.

Apollo

Wizard
That is the hope. We personally like it and think it'll provide a much more modern experience going forward.
Avatar icons appear waaaay too small for my liking. Can they be increased in size, to be made at least as big as this cherished old forum? Personally, they are part of my search routine (human visual recognition).

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Avatar icons appear waaaay too small for my liking. Can they be increased in size, to be made at least as big as this cherished old forum? Personally, they are part of my search routine (human visual recognition).
Fair enough. Taking a look at that now.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Give it a refresh now and see if that looks better.

Koop

Explorer
Why the change? To be honest I'd argue the "modern experience" wouldn't be a forums at all and instead pushing us to use Discord or something. Not that I very much like that idea. When should I expect to see the iXSystems tiktok? heh.

See ya there soon.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Why the change? To be honest I'd argue the "modern experience" wouldn't be a forums at all and instead pushing us to use Discord or something. Not that I very much like that idea. When should I expect to see the iXSystems tiktok? heh.

See ya there soon.

As it so happens, we also do Discord as well ;)

Davvo

MVP
Kris, any word on this, though?

When it goes into "read-only" mode, is there a way we can contact an admin or iX staff to create a zipped archive or something of our posts / threads? To try to do this manually by saving HTML pages is... not feasible.

The sentimental value alone is why this would be much appreciated.