Launch of New Forums!

Davvo

MVP
I didn't see an answer to the original "Why the change?"
I have replied to the thread topic you created on the new forum with info we know, will post here as well.

Also not being able to edit posts isn't good for long content.
You are able to edit posts though? Might be a "trust" issue, but I believed it was addressed by @Kris Moore here. Oh, and since I tagged you Kris, apparently there is another user called krismoore registered on the new forum... might be worth taking a look.

BR14

Dabbler
TrueNAS Community,

We've been working hard on the next evolution of our TrueNAS Forums experience. We are pleased to announce that they are now available and ready for everybody to begin using over at:

https://forums.truenas.com

The new TrueNAS Forums supports both email / password logins, as well as a variety of oAuth providers to make it much easier to get started and signed in.

Our plan is to run both forums in parallel for this week only, from 2024-04-01 to 2024-04-05. This will give our active users time to wrap up any conversations in this old Xenforo instance before we place it in read-only mode on Friday 2024-04-05. The old forums will stay online in this archive mode for posterity, while the conversation continues in our new instance going forward.

Thanks and hope to see see everybody on the other side!

P.S. Yes, this is legit and not an April 1st joke :)
Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply.

Do I have to upgrade my DOS/360 box? Are the good people at IXSystems "working hard on the next evolution of ... TrueNAS" Web Interface to implement similar enhancements?

Etorix

Wizard
JavaScript. "High Requirements". GPL. There's really nothing I like about Discourse.

Davvo

MVP
JavaScript. "High Requirements". GPL. There's really nothing I like about Discourse.
C'mon, you can tag cathegories! That's awesome if you are telling someone they posted in the wrong section!

Davvo

MVP
My experience so far is that there are a few very good QoL improvements on certain things... but a ton of downsides and loss of QoL functions on others!​
Anyway, updating my feedback after a few more interactions (we mere mortals cannot edit here!).
My experience so far is that there are a few very good QoL improvements on certain things... but quite a few downsides and loss of QoL functions on others.

Baby steps, but still steps. Would I make the switch willingly? Still not likely.

Stux

MVP
I think it comes down to kiddies preferring modern “responsive” design over good old fashioned functionality, especially if the old-fashioned looks like it’s more than a couple of years old.

Sigh.

awasb

Patron
Well … you all carry the MVP badge, now.

T_PT

Dabbler
I'm still quite new here, but thought I'd voice an opinion on Discourse.

I really, really, really don't like Discourse.

I share a lot of the concerns raised in this thread and I can acknowledge that it may be a "me" problem, not a discourse problem, but even so I just don't get on with it at all.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I have replied to the thread topic you created on the new forum with info we know, will post here as well.

You are able to edit posts though? Might be a "trust" issue, but I believed it was addressed by @Kris Moore here. Oh, and since I tagged you Kris, apparently there is another user called krismoore registered on the new forum... might be worth taking a look.

Yes, both are me, used for testing.

And yes, once your trust level hits 1, you can edit posts.That happens after about 10 minutes.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
In a way this discussion is giving me flashbacks to when we retired official IRC channels a while back as well. Lets paint that bikeshed again as well :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
And yes, once your trust level hits 1, you can edit posts.That happens after about 10 minutes.
It was initially a problem because there just weren't enough posts to view to get to that point, and apparently you'd disabled bootstrap mode. Not much of a problem now.

nabsltd

Contributor
I think it comes down to kiddies preferring modern “responsive” design over good old fashioned functionality
And, Discourse is still broken as far as "responsive" design is concerned.

A good example is the left-hand bar, which shows me 4 out of the 7 categories, but when I click on "all categories", it doesn't do what 99% of similar interfaces do and expand the list in the left-hand bar. Instead, it takes me to the main landing page where I get to see six of the seven categories, because the list includes a paragraph of description for each category.

It's my belief that the creator of Discourse has a patent on the mouse scroll wheel and gets paid every time we use one.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It was initially a problem because there just weren't enough posts to view to get to that point, and apparently you'd disabled bootstrap mode. Not much of a problem now.
:facepalm:

Yea, that was my bad. We disabled it in testing and forgot to re-enable. But enough content now it should be back to normal.

nabsltd

Contributor
I also hate the Discourse definition of "unread":
By default, topics are considered unread and will show unread counts 1 if you:
  • Created the topic
  • Replied to the topic
  • Read the topic for more than 5 minutes

Notice that newly posted topics aren't included? So, when I drop in to see if I can help, I have to go to "Unread" for older topics that I've already interacted with, then to "New" for the new topics. Add in the fact that "Unread" doesn't include older topics that I haven't spent enough time reading, and we get back to the "unless you visit every day and read every thread for long enough, you'll miss stuff that might be important".

Yes, I know that I can change the reading time down from 5 minutes, but I'd still have to at least open each new topic (with setting of "Immediate" for tracking) to have them later listed as "Unread".

Essentially, what happens on Discourse is that topics with a lot of replies get pushed to the top, and nobody ever sees topics that aren't popular. This is exactly the wrong way to do it for a help forum.

apparently there is another user called krismoore registered on the new forum... might be worth taking a look.
Worth taking a look? Absolutely not.

How could anyone think this is not the real Kris? He even has the same gentle smile.

aKUSERa.png

A good example is the left-hand bar, which shows me 4 out of the 7 categories, but when I click on "all categories", it doesn't do what 99% of similar interfaces do and expand the list in the left-hand bar.

You can "edit" the Categories sidebar, and check all the categories you want always visible on the sidebar.

sO1hpel.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can "edit" the Categories sidebar, and check all the categories you want always visible on the sidebar.
I do not want to have to manage this in any way. Just display all categories old and new all the time. Like in any reasonable tree view. What a mess. Sorted alphabetically, of course. Static. Good grief ...

Whoever thought dynamically rearranging menus was a good idea deserves to be shot. "Muscle memory"?

nabsltd

Contributor
Another real annoyance with Discourse is the enormous "scrollbar".

On this forum, the text block is 1020 pixels wide and the scroll bar is 21 pixels wide.

On Discourse, with the same window size, the text block is 700 pixels wide (regardless of whether the left navigation is hidden), and the "scroll bar" is either 320 pixels wide (navigation shown) or a whopping 470 pixels (with navigation hidden).

Is there any way to turn on "wide mode" for the actual text area in Discourse?

nabsltd

Contributor
Another bad design, because now I'll never see a category that I turn off, so I won't help people who post there.

Again, this is great for a general discussion site, but terrible for a "I need help" site.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Worth taking a look? Absolutely not.

How could anyone think this is not the real Kris? He even has the same gentle smile.

aKUSERa.png

Good and evil Kris?

img_0794-jpeg.77335