FreeNAS Forums Change-log

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Made a small update to remove a handful of the less useful expressions. We now have thanks, agree, informative, winner, and useful. Winner is still up in the air for me. I can see how having a disagree button could lead to some disagreements so we chucked it as well. Thanks for the feedback everyone. We all have different opinions so it would be impossible to always pick the ideas that everyone individually wants, but we will do our best to answer questions and listen to feedback presented.

Thanks again!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Made a small update to remove a handful of the less useful expressions.
I saw that and I appreciate your understanding of the feedback we have all given you. I agree with the "Winner" as well, not sure how useful it will be, to me it's similar to one of the other icons but just a stronger version of it. I think you can leave it, or should I say that I have nothing against it. So I'd personally let this current version ride for three to four weeks and then re-evaluate if further changes are needed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there a way to restrict the ability to mark something with "Winner" to, say, users with more than 500 posts or something of the sort? That way it could be useful as an indicator that someone with some experience considered it the best of the thread, or something along those lines.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Thanks for the changes ;) but I miss the "funny" button...

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
FWIW, there is a discrepancy between the 'Likes Received' and 'Ratings' counts (see attachments). Is this how the system is supposed to work?
likes-recd.jpg
ratings.jpg

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

gpsguy

ratings2.PNG
ratings.PNG

capture3.PNG

It looks to me like the "likes" are frozen in time. And, the sum of the new post ratings are added to the "likes" value for the new "ratings" count, ie. 341 + 5 = 346

FWIW, there is a discrepancy between the 'Likes Received' and 'Ratings' counts (see attachments).

gpsguy

Not quite frozen in time.

While one can't add a like via the forum software, someone using Tapatalk to access the forum can add a like and add to your existing likes count.

It looks to me like the "likes" are frozen in time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The new icons are also a bit difficult to hit on touchscreens, for those of us not using tapatalk.

m0nkey_

MVP
I want to go on record for these new ratings make little sense. The 'like' was an obvious thing, it showed how many people liked a post and added value to a huge number of popular forum posts (how-to's, guides, scripts, etc.). Now that the ratings have been introduced, it seems all them likes have now been lost.

Take @cyberjock 's VDEV, ZPOOL, ZIL and L2ARC for n00bs post. If I recall, this had a lot of likes. It's a popular post that is often referred to by more experienced members of the forums to newer users. Now with the 'likes' gone, who's to know how good that post is? It's reputation must be restored via the new 'ratings'.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Take @cyberjock 's VDEV, ZPOOL, ZIL and L2ARC for n00bs post. If I recall, this had a lot of likes. It's a popular post that is often referred to by more experienced members of the forums to newer users. Now with the 'likes' gone, who's to know how good that post is? It's reputation must be restored via the new 'ratings'.

Hey Monkey,

The likes aren't gone! They have been swapped for the ratings system, but they are still there. This week I'm planning on looking into tying the likes in with the other positive ratings as many other users have suggested. I'm hoping we can set it up in such a way that if you have 2000 positive ratings it = 2000 likes. Just give me a little time. It's definitely on the to-do list :).

To everyone I've read the feedback provided and I'll be looking into the rating system more in depth this week. I'll give you an update as soon as I'm able to work on it.

Thanks,

Josh

m0nkey_

MVP
Surely it would have made sense to find a way to migrate the likes to the ratings bar prior to switching? Or have them coexist for the time being. Maybe beta test them in one of the less important sections of the forums before rolling it out globally, therefore mitigating any confusion which has been generated?

Also, what happened to @DrKK post?

When I come to a tech support forum, I want to know one thing: is what I'm reading accurate. I don't care what you call the button that says 'this guy knows what he is talking about'. I just want it clear and decisive.

As individual posts are affirmed, the person making those posts should also have a positive reputation grow.

The options available - 'Thanks', 'Agree', 'Winner', 'Informative' and 'Useful' - overlap and are poorly defined. To meet my needs, only one positive indicator is required and whatever you call it is fine by me.

Of course, as a new guy lurker with fewer than two dozen messages, feel free to ignore me.

Cheers,
Matt

m0nkey_

MVP
When I come to a tech support forum, I want to know one thing: is what I'm reading accurate. I don't care what you call the button that says 'this guy knows what he is talking about'. I just want it clear and decisive.

As individual posts are affirmed, the person making those posts should also have a positive reputation grow.

The options available - 'Thanks', 'Agree', 'Winner', 'Informative' and 'Useful' - overlap and are poorly defined. To meet my needs, only one positive indicator is required and whatever you call it is fine by me.

Of course, as a new guy lurker with fewer than two dozen messages, feel free to ignore me.

Cheers,
Matt
You bring up a valid point. Prior to the ratings we had likes. One button allows both posts and users build a reputation. That is now gone and that reputation needs to be rebuilt.

Clearly the ratings bar is a point of contention and confusion and should be reconsidered.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You bring up a valid point. Prior to the ratings we had likes. One button allows both posts and users build a reputation. That is now gone and that reputation needs to be rebuilt.

Clearly the ratings bar is a point of contention and confusion and should be reconsidered.
Mostly I'm just doling out random charms as I like what people write.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like we have an overwhelming consensus, and that the majority would prefer not to have more than one expression. I've converted the rating system to only use thanks, and thanks now are added to likes. Keep in mind we're truly trying our best to listen to all of the feedback provided.

Thanks,

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.