Xenforo 1.x Forum themes: "Ganz großes Kino theme" - changelog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Finally squashed the mistake with the hover of "home" and "alert" tabs.
  • Made some other color and hover-effect changes for the top tabs and the selected tab.
  • Minor color adjustments to footer box and sized it to better match main content box above it.
  • Changed font size in footer box to be a percent of base font.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • New theme "Experimental -dark" in development which helped me discover some issues with the themes.
  • Made various adjustments to Experimental theme to enable an easier conversion to hue variant themes.
    • Gradient for header now only translucent white overlay.
    • Highlight of "Latest release" link area is also now only translucent white overlay (had included purple).
    • Some adjustments to size and position of breadcrumb.
    • Removed color from "Share this page" box in sidebar.
  • Removed the "Share this page" code from all templates that had it included. The "STP" now handled entirely by widget framework.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
As spiffy as all that red was in the Experimental theme, I believe red with grey is somewhat of an improvement. If I can manage to figure out how to handle an internal theme setting, then perhaps those who wish can intensify their hue experience, while the grey outer area will be common to 'Experimental' variants.
  • Outer border of browser viewport for Experimental (red) theme is now grey.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
More futzing around.
  • Switched breadcrumbs to use fontawesome chevron instead.
  • Improved coloring of breadcrumbbar.
  • Broke a bunch of spacing around breadcrumb. Fixed the worst of it.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • More adjustments via automated css cleanup online tool. Which also means some unintended changes/reversions I'll need to readjust.
  • Hmm. What seemed to work in other places seems not to work via Xenforo parser or whatever. Removed all css lines I used a / to "comment out" and this fixed some inadvertent changes (it may also solve other undesired effects if I avoid this from now on).
  • The breadcrumbs are finally appearing as near as possible to how I wish them to be, although I may tweak the color/gradient some.
  • Lightened some of the breadcrumb bar colors in the gradient that had been fine when it was fairly wide but a bit too dark since I narrowed it.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
AAarrgh! Somehow managed a major regression of the EXTRA.css file, which afaik seems to have reveresed/erased much of my recent efforts. So now I get to see if I can reconstruct what I had made for the breadcrumbs and any other spacing/color adjustments. I'm going to keep a backup in the templates here so I do not repeat this- I'll update it only when I know it is not greatly flawed or has not regressed. The fun part is that I have to remember all the things I managed to do previously.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Fixed the breadcrumb again.
  • Updated the backup CSS file to match.
  • Experimental -Dark updated to match but with dark adjustments.
    • Used sdiff externally to merge the revised Experimental into the dark Extra.css file. The internal Xenforo template merge 'tool' prefers to break when attempted.
  • Adjusted the hover highlight color for upper and lower tab links to be darker in dark theme. Brightness of a color (hue) based theme is a little challenging to make appropriate equivalent for a monochrome/dark theme.
  • Some few red remnants still persist in the dark theme, plan is to remove most/all.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Removed some red remnants from dark theme.
  • Adjusted some colors, spacing, and font sizes for "your account" page tabs.
  • Merged changes into dark theme plus some clean-up and identified most "key" color areas for future hue variants.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Switched the featured resources boxes from an image-based gradient to CSS-based.
  • Fixed "Featured Resources" heading to be a more visible color, less bold but with a mild shadow.
  • Kept the dark and red themes in sync.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Created a parent theme for experimental group. This will help to maintain the common modifications.
  • Created a tempate EXTRA_red.css file to hold the color variations for the red theme, it is included into the EXTRA.css within the red theme which aside from the include Xenforo statement is inherited from the parent theme.
  • In process of separating the color variation parts of the CSS from the other theme adjustments into their own file, and removing them from the parent.
  • Separation for red adjustments finished, any hiccups discovered were squashed.
  • Finalized red adjustments css file and its parent EXTRA.css (theme minus color variant stuff) file sent through an optimizer.
  • Modified strategy of including the color variant file into the EXTRA.css file to remove superfluous effort. Now the hue file and the theme mod files can each be modified independently without need for any adjustments to both each time.
    • The EXTRA_color.css file will now have the same name for each variant, EXTRA_hue_stuff.css which makes more sense.
  • The dark theme now seems finalized for the separation task.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Until recently, I hadn't realized that it had vanished and then I noticed the old corner blob method commented out.
  • Reconstructed and restored the "Online" ribbon thingy near User Avatar in thread forum message display. It is a funky semi neutral color now.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • There are three choices for the Experimental theme color: red, blue, dark.
  • Adjustments for calltoaction button: removed duplicate color settings from the parent CSS and clarified the color settings for each hue.
  • Fixed the weird inconsistent calltoaction button height.
  • Switched the calltoaction button in blue theme to shades of blue (rather than red).
  • calltoaction and nearby buttons all of similar size and shape.
  • Additional adjustments to calltoaction button color, hover color, active color.
  • calltoaction buttons in the other two themes now match their theme colors.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Fixed the problem with the text of some buttons not centered vertically.
  • Organized the individual theme hue files to match, though I discovered a number of extra lines/selectors defined in the dark theme.
  • Fixed spacing and size of spoiler button (again?).
  • Excised all instances of Xenforo gradient images. Some could return but as CSS styled gradients (undetermined/undecided).

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Excised all @variables in the collection of css files used by Experimental theme group.
    • Solved a mistake caused during the comment-out task for the variables.
  • Some various commented out items in the css files have been restored but many may likely be further modified/hidden etc. - These are holdover mods from inherited files, largely not mods I made in the past.
  • There are some things that seem to have been handled by default values involving variables that are now no longer defined. These will need to be restored/adjusted as they are discovered.
  • Fixed the transparency of the mod/admin bar. It now remains at the top of the browser viewport which may be a good thing, but different than it had been.
  • Restored the style of the forum post tags (the background and borders were lost).
  • Took away the red from the editor buttons, adjusted button bar and button colors, and restored hover color change.
  • The inline 'quick' editor displays something like full-width but the editor that opens in its own page has been only half as wide, no matter the width of the browser window. Attempted to improve the width of the second so that its nearer the same width as the first.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Attempted to make the Featured Resources boxes adjust gracefully to different widths of browser window but was not successful. Width set to 24.5% seems to look good initially but with narrower widths the text contained is cut off. For the moment this is the best than can be done, at least it allows for 4-across if the browser window is at least 1281px wide.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Some proportional sizing improvements were added from the Ganz testing things theme, most notably, thread views and edit boxes.
  • Had to revert the Download 9.10-stable or FreeNAS Corral banner item after my adjustment to limit additional text (NOTE: Please make a full external backup before Migrating) impact was unapproved. I made other adjustments to counteract the breakage this excess amount of text caused by the universally added but not universally styled widget was modified.
  • The share this page sidebar item is adjusted in this theme group to take less space vertically and to display the buttons within on a horizontal row.
  • Attempted to make the alternating grey rows where lists are displayed to be colored consistently. This is incomplete and perhaps only a partial improvement.
  • Thumbnails for each of the available themes have been added to the CSS for this theme so they can be viewed within the style chooser.
  • The tooltips for the style chooser and the forum info bubbles have been revised to be a slightly dimmed white with a slightly lighter black text, it now has a black border and a dark shadow.
  • The share this page buttons for Tweet, Facebook like, and GooglePlus have been adjusted to display nicer for those who may have EFF.org's Privacy Badger installed in their browser.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Improved the colors in the search results page. Some remnants of Blazing blue and green are now more appropriate colors.
  • The "Google" image improved via a CSS image filter "invert" which helps it stand out in all Ganz themes.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
  • Fixed Share This Page buttons so that they display reasonably both when Privacy Badger icon overlays are added and when Privacy Badger is not enabled.
  • Revised thumbnails of first post in this thread to reflect current appearance, including all four hue variants.
  • Revised the discussion thread so that instances of Experimental are now Ganz großes Kino, except for one which speaks of the name change and a future Experimental theme that may be developed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.