Bluefin Upgrade Discussion

Daisuke

Contributor
Synopsis
Bluefin 22.12.0 is expected to be released around December 13, 2022. There are major changes compared to Angelfish, so I'm creating this thread where users can highlight any confirmed issues that might arise during or post upgrade. Ideally, each found issue should be reported into a Jira ticket, allowing developers to address them. If a search does not answer your problem, start your own thread and if other users confirm the issue, please report it in this thread.

Bluefin Troubleshooting Guides

Last edited:

dfnas

Cadet
Hey there, I'm on Jira, but I don't have permissions to create an issue... How do I request permission for that?

NickF

Guru

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey there, I'm on Jira, but I don't have permissions to create an issue... How do I request permission for that?
Thanks and Welcome.

Please start a thread on an issue. Describe the problem and see if anyone knows of a solution. It also helps to alert other people of sepecific issues.

If there is no solution and you want to help with diagnosis, please report-a-bug.

This process is designed to minimize tickets created and improve the productivity of engineering team.

dfnas

Cadet
Thanks and Welcome.

Please start a thread on an issue. Describe the problem and see if anyone knows of a solution. It also helps to alert other people of sepecific issues.

If there is no solution and you want to help with diagnosis, please report-a-bug.

This process is designed to minimize tickets created and improve the productivity of engineering team.
Gotcha!

The issue I'm having is that when I create a custom S.M.A.R.T. task that, for example, runs on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 2AM, then afterwards, I edit it to run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 2AM, the system won't allow me to modify it, saying there's already a SMART task that runs at 2AM. I have to delete the old task before I can create a new one, instead of just modifying the old one.

tprelog

Patron
Seems obvious after the fact, but it took a few minutes for me to figure this out so I thought I'd share

1670682042543.png

I got rid of the warning by adding my selected user to the builtin_administrators group

1670682216245.png

jenksta

Dabbler

NickF

Guru

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
From your perspective, should I start from scratch with a new Bluefin clean install, when final release is out? I use default Angelfish settings and all Kubernetes apps have backups, so I can restore them easy.

No, Bluefin is intended to be a straightforward update from Angelfish... just read the release notes.

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
two questions.

1. when Bluefin 22.12.0 is released, will I have to change switch trains? or will it show up as an upgrade on the current Angelfish release train?

2. several months ago I opened a JIRA ticket for the nvidia drivers being out of date for some more modern GPUs (here: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-118079 ). It was closed by Engineering with the note that the drivers would be upgraded in the Bluefin release. but I can't find any information in the RC1 release notes about nvidia driver version being used in bluefin. can anyone with the Bluefin RC1 comment on which nvidia driver version is included?

dgrigo

Dabbler
two questions.

1. when Bluefin 22.12.0 is released, will I have to change switch trains? or will it show up as an upgrade on the current Angelfish release train?

2. several months ago I opened a JIRA ticket for the nvidia drivers being out of date for some more modern GPUs (here: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-118079 ). It was closed by Engineering with the note that the drivers would be upgraded in the Bluefin release. but I can't find any information in the RC1 release notes about nvidia driver version being used in bluefin. can anyone with the Bluefin RC1 comment on which nvidia driver version is included?
It is released , I run it 3 hours now

Daisuke

Contributor
It is released , I run it 3 hours now
I'm upgrading from Angelfish 22.02.4. First issue, is the same behaviour experienced by others. I'm stuck at GRUB on my Dell R720xd, after 20min or so, the OS loads (or if I press Enter). see RC1 discussion:

1670958192574.png

I'll check with @Ashkaan if he created a Jira ticket and link it into OP.
Update: I fixed the issue by performing a shutdown, followed by a power-up. After that I performed two reboots without any issue. If anyone else experiences same GRUB issue, please let me know, so I link it into OP. See NAS-119367.

Other than that, everything is functional, I was able to upgrade all TrueCharts Kubernetes apps without issues. Also, a new behaviour was implemented, related to Docker images cleanup.

Angelfish:
Code:
docker container prune -f --filter 'until=5m'
docker image prune -af --filter 'until=1h'

Bluefinn:
Code:
midclt call container.prune '{"remove_unused_images": true, "remove_stopped_containers": true}'

Last edited:

tprelog

Patron
Smooth upgrade from Bluefin RC 1 but still no love for the VM display :frown:

1670959344183.png

As before, restarting nginx seems to fix the issue for running VMs (until I reboot SCALE)

EDIT to add

Last edited:

tprelog

Patron
@Daisuke - I wasn't sure if there would be any sensitive information in the debug log, so I did not attach it to the public ticket.

However when I opened the issue, I was given a link to a private upload which I did follow and uploaded my debug log. I made sure to reference the Jira ticket I had just created.

1670983855912.png

Fred Hardy

Cadet
Just upgraded from 22.02.4 to 22.12.0 and Plex is stuck in "DEPLOYING", was working OK before.

For the App the last application event is :
Error: Error response from daemon: invalid volume specification: '/mnt/Data1/Media/Movies:/MediaFiles/movies:ro': Invalid mount path. /mnt/Data1/Media/Movies. Following service(s) uses this path: `NFS Share`.

Container image "plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass" already present on machine
(same message even when NFS is not running)

and in Jobs:
chart.release.pod_logs Failed
Error: Received 400 response code from '/api/v1/namespaces/ix-myplex/pods/myplex-54b59f4fc9-zd9z4/log?timestamps=True&tailLines=500&container=plex'

any idea? As I don't know if it's a TrueNAS pb or Charts pb I posted here but any suggestions where I should post it?

Thanks!