Bluefin Upgrade Discussion

Trevor68

Contributor
I ran the upgrade from Angelfish about 3 hours ago. I have had no webui or display since :frown:

What is the targeted customer level of expertise compared to synology?
(let's say only disk management and permissions)

duderuud

Dabbler
Upgrade itself went fine (22.04->22.12). Only got some Truecharts apps that won't start

Code:
Error: Error response from daemon: invalid volume specification: '/mnt/ssd/download:/download':
Invalid mount path. /mnt/ssd/download. Following service(s) uses this path: `SMB Share`.

Sweetsdream

Cadet
Weird, I don't see the upgrade. I'm on RC1-1. Is there some way to force the upgrade other than clicking refresh over and over? Maybe I'm just on a later stag of the roll-out?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Just upgraded from 22.02.4 to 22.12.0 and Plex is stuck in "DEPLOYING", was working OK before.

For the App the last application event is :
Error: Error response from daemon: invalid volume specification: '/mnt/Data1/Media/Movies:/MediaFiles/movies:ro': Invalid mount path. /mnt/Data1/Media/Movies. Following service(s) uses this path: `NFS Share`.

Container image "plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass" already present on machine
(same message even when NFS is not running)

and in Jobs:
chart.release.pod_logs Failed
Error: Received 400 response code from '/api/v1/namespaces/ix-myplex/pods/myplex-54b59f4fc9-zd9z4/log?timestamps=True&tailLines=500&container=plex'

any idea? As I don't know if it's a TrueNAS pb or Charts pb I posted here but any suggestions where I should post it?

Thanks!

Please read the release notes,,,, there's a new security check.

• New security checks are present for host paths in use by various sytem services. If you have host paths that are shared by multiple system services (e.g. Apps and SMB), please read the 22.12.0 Known Issues and take steps to create unique host paths for each in-use system service.
App deployment can get stuck in validation when the Host Path is used between Apps and TrueNAS sharing services (e.g. SMB and NFS).Shared host paths are considered insecure and are not recommended. Review host paths used by Apps and Sharing services and adjust paths to be unique. As a last resort that can result in system and app instability, Host Path Safety Checks can be disabled in Apps > Settings > Advanced Settings.

Trevor68

Contributor
I think it might go a bit deeper than that though, I have 12 apps, none of them would deploy until I removed the security check, only 4 of them were using shared paths.

NickF

Guru
Just as an FYI, although I have ranted about the insecurity of the VNC implementation, NoVNC is still entirely broken for me anyway....Has been since at least BETA 2.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I think it might go a bit deeper than that though, I have 12 apps, none of them would deploy until I removed the security check, only 4 of them were using shared paths.
Its probably a general check to make sure user is aware of the risk. Its not done per App.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Just as an FYI, although I have ranted about the insecurity of the VNC implementation, NoVNC is still entirely broken for me anyway....Has been since at least BETA 2.

I can see this issue is frustrating... its been "closed" twice even if not resolved for you. I don't see any evidence that we have replicated the issue .

Is noVNC working or not working for everybody else?

stephan44

Cadet
bug in scale 22.12.0?
my truenas scale is running under proxmox ve (7.3-3) with virtio-scsi drives. I upgraded from core some months ago to scale 22.02.4 without any problems. now I got 22.12.0 and get the following message:
This is an automatically generated mail message from mdadm
running on XXX

A Fail event had been detected on md device /dev/md127.

It could be related to component device /dev/sdc1.

Faithfully yours, etc.

P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following:

Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
md127 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sdc1[0](F)
2095040 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]
[=>...................] resync = 9.6% (201472/2095040) finish=0.1min speed=201472K/sec

unused devices: <none>
every reboot gives me this message again
cat /proc/mdstat after starting up does not show this problem:

Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
unused devices: <none>

zpool gives no errors and all pools are up to date
switching back to 22.02.4 does not generate this message during startup.
Any hints what to do (running 22.02.4 again)/anyone with similar problems?

Fred Hardy

Cadet
Upgrade itself went fine (22.04->22.12). Only got some Truecharts apps that won't start

Code:
Error: Error response from daemon: invalid volume specification: '/mnt/ssd/download:/download':
Invalid mount path. /mnt/ssd/download. Following service(s) uses this path: `SMB Share`.
same problem here (plex). A bypass is to uncheck "Enable Host Path Safety Checks" in Apps/Stetings/Advanced setting (Kubernetes Settings).
I don't say it's a good one... seeing the warning when you uncheck it

Fred Hardy

Cadet

• New security checks are present for host paths in use by various sytem services. If you have host paths that are shared by multiple system services (e.g. Apps and SMB), please read the 22.12.0 Known Issues and take steps to create unique host paths for each in-use system service.
App deployment can get stuck in validation when the Host Path is used between Apps and TrueNAS sharing services (e.g. SMB and NFS).Shared host paths are considered insecure and are not recommended. Review host paths used by Apps and Sharing services and adjust paths to be unique. As a last resort that can result in system and app instability, Host Path Safety Checks can be disabled in Apps > Settings > Advanced Settings.
Sorry, my bad. Thank you! Didn't thought of security because the paths are in "read only"... Sorry in advance if this is trivial but where can I found more informations about "steps to create unique host paths"?

Trevor68

Contributor
Its probably a general check to make sure user is aware of the risk. Its not done per App.
That's interesting, how does it know if an app is using shared paths or not if it isn't checking them all?

itet

Dabbler

I'm a bit confused, I don't have "Host Path Safety Checks", does it mean "Validate host path"?

duderuud

Dabbler
I'm a bit confused, I don't have "Host Path Safety Checks", does it mean "Validate host path"?
Seems to be renamed. I unchecked that option and all my apps started without any issues.
But remember, it's a workaround and no support from Truecharts in case of troubles...

MR.B

Cadet
updated our second storage from 22.02.4 to 22.12.0. After the update i get this error:

New alerts:

• Disk(s): sdaa, sdz, sdah, sdag, sdao, sdak, sdai, sdaf, sdad, sdac, sdaj, sdu, sdam, sdan, sdaq, sdar, sdas, sdav, sdax, sdap, sdau, sdat, sdal, sdaw, sdj, sdd, sdb, sda, sdf, sdc, sdm, sdg, sdk, sdi, sde, sdh, sdr, sdx, sdw, sdl, sdab, sdv, sdae, sdq, sdy, sdp, sds, sdt, sday, sdaz, sdbb, sdbf, sdbc, sdbe, sdbh, sdba, sdbj, sdbd, sdbi, sdbg, sdbk, sdbl, sdbu, sdbv, sdbm, sdbp, sdbq, sdbo, sdbn, sdbr, sdbs, sdbt, sdn, sdo, sdcf, sdcg, sdch, sdci, sdcr, sdcs, sdcj, sdck, sdcl, sdcm, sdcn, sdco, sdcp, sdcq, sdbx, sdby, sdbz, sdca, sdcb, sdcc, sdcd, sdce are formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF) which is unsupported.

It seems evertything ist working.