Wake on lan not working

henqbleom

Dabbler
hello i tried setting up wake on lan but haven't got it working yet.
i am using a ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING motherboard with a Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet card.
i enabled wake on lan in the bios. it is connected via a netgearGS108 switch. when i search for ip adresses the ip of the nas wont show, i have to put it in manually.
when i try to send the magic packet to the nas it sends it but won't start the nas. i have updated my bios to the latest version. i also tried disabling fast boot but this didn't work. the light on the back of the nas where the cable is in is on.

i have tried to do the same to my desktop with a msi b550 gaming edge wifi motherboard, this has a realtek netwerkcard. but this works fine.

is there aything i have to do in the truenas settings to make it work?
thanks for the help.

wake on lan.jpg

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
s there aything i have to do in the truenas settings to make it work?
No, but search the forum for loads of threads on this.

Edit: ifconfig need to show option of WOL_MAGIC

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
No. The option just needs to be there, as it is from the screen print.
WOL works only between the IF card and the Bios.
How are you sending the WOL request ?
Is it to the correct MAC address ?

henqbleom

Dabbler
No. The option just needs to be there, as it is from the screen print.
WOL works only between the IF card and the Bios.
How are you sending the WOL request ?
Is it to the correct MAC address ?
I use the wakemeonlan.exe.
i use the mac adress from the trueas interface

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
when i do this it says bad value.
You don't need to enter that option - you just enter ifconfig igc0 and check if it is there. Which it is if I read your screenshot correctly. And you are sure you are using the mac address that shown as "ether" in your screenshot?

henqbleom

Dabbler
You don't need to enter that option - you just enter ifconfig igc0 and check if it is there. Which it is if I read your screenshot correctly. And you are sure you are using the mac address that shown as "ether" in your screenshot?
i am sure that i am using the correct adress
mac adress.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Then the next step would be to contact the vendor support for your mainboard. There is no OS running with the system switched off, so this is definitely outside of TrueNAS.

Gremlin23

Cadet
Hi, Has there been some sort of change on how TrueNAS closes down from 12.0-U8 and 13.0-U1. I can no longer wake up from Lan after updating working perfectly fine before the update?

Nergale

Cadet
Hi, Has there been some sort of change on how TrueNAS closes down from 12.0-U8 and 13.0-U1. I can no longer wake up from Lan after updating working perfectly fine before the update?
Experiencing the same issue. Update from 13.0 RELEASE to 13.0-U1 broke wake on lan again. Going back to 12.0-U8 doesn't fix it either

kase

Cadet
Experiencing the same issue. Update from 13.0 RELEASE to 13.0-U1 broke wake on lan again. Going back to 12.0-U8 doesn't fix it either
I can report the same. It was fine for years but the upgrade to 13 broke WOL. :frown:

Gremlin23

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I submitted this issue as a bug, with the release of 13-U2 due tommorow they are reverting back to the original Realetk drivers and hopefully that will help. Unfortunetlly there isn't much else they can if it doesn't fix the issue as they can only bring in FreeBSD fixes.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you drink the 2.5GbE Kool-aid, particularly from Realtek. Their drivers are just a hot mess and experience suggests it'll be a long time before they're usable, if ever.
Hell, even Intel had trouble out the gate with their 2.5GbE stuff, and they've been doing 10+GbE - including with support for 2.5GbE and 5GbE in their latest copper stuff - for a long while now.

It's also why the hardware recommendations clearly say "get a server board".

elorimer

Contributor
I think there are still reports of WOL problems with a Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb NIC; working fine at 1gb but not at 2.5Gb.

Davvo

MVP

elorimer

Contributor
I suppose if you had a physically remote server that you accessed only episodically, like a weekly backup, you could save a couple hundred kilowatt-hours a year. Or if it was too much work to lean over and turn it on.

Gremlin23

Cadet
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you drink the 2.5GbE Kool-aid, particularly from Realtek. Their drivers are just a hot mess and experience suggests it'll be a long time before they're usable, if ever.
Hell, even Intel had trouble out the gate with their 2.5GbE stuff, and they've been doing 10+GbE - including with support for 2.5GbE and 5GbE in their latest copper stuff - for a long while now.

It's also why the hardware recommendations clearly say "get a server board".
I don't drink Kool-aid, My realtek NIC is only 1GB and my Intel Quad Server Card which also supports WOL doesn't work either. So :tongue:. Anyway if this doesn't fix it there are other solutions such as wireless computer power and reset switch which is a lot cheaper than a server board as well as the CPU , RAM especially if you are going to follow the recommendations and use ECC RAM etc. I'm very happy with my current setup
:grin:.

Gremlin23

Cadet
Why would you use WoL when you could just spin down the drives?
In my case, I am disabled and have very limited mobility so as Elorimer says it too much work for me to get up and turn it on when I want my main PC backed up also the cost of electrcity is skyrocketing here so it is more economical for it to be shutdown and using as less as possible.