TrueNAS Core 13.0-U3.1 won't boot up via wake on LAN

NAGL95

Dabbler
Hello every one!

Have issue with wake on LAN. When shut down NAS any LAN LED indicators don't blink or light, seem's that motherbord turned off. Magic packet's can't turn on NAS (tried to send it from router and laptop).
  • Motherboard MSI H510I Pro Wi-Fi
  • CPU Intel Celeton G5905
  • RAM 4Gb*2 planks (total 8 Gb)
  • Hard drives, 1*4TiB, 2*2TiB, SSD M.2 1*256GiB
  • Hard disk controllers - Jonsbo N1
  • Realtek® 8125B 2.5Gbps LAN controller also Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201
In BIOS done:
1.[Wake-up event settings] → [Resume By PCI-E Device] → [Enabled]
2.[SETTINGS] → [Advanced] → [Power Management Setting] → [ErP Ready] → [Disabled]

In TrueNAS added in /boot/loader.conf:

Code:
if_re_load="YES"
if_re_name="/boot/modules/if_re.ko"

Exist any software solutions? Anyone know possible way to solve it without hardware upgrades such as install NIC or buy server motherboard?

Whattteva

Wizard
Have issue with wake on LAN. When shut down NAS any LAN LED indicators don't blink or light, seem's that motherbord turned off. Magic packet's can't turn on NAS (tried to send it from router and laptop).
Can that same router/laptop wake other machines on the network?

Paul5

Contributor
Check your sleep state in the BIOS and change it to S3 or S4 if it's not already. Then re-boot into Truenas and shutdown. Then try WOL again.

You also don't say if you are using Truenas or Scale or if you have checked that the NIC is setup for WOL Magic Packet. But first try the S3 or S4 in the BIOS.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Exist any software solutions? Anyone know possible way to solve it without hardware upgrades such as install NIC or buy server motherboard?

This isn't really expected to work, you might luck out and it might have all the planets properly aligned for it to be possible, but you may have to put in a good bit of effort, especially seeing as how you have some basically random platform that likely has its own quirks.

Have you enabled WoL on the interface?

NAGL95

Dabbler
This isn't really expected to work, you might luck out and it might have all the planets properly aligned for it to be possible, but you may have to put in a good bit of effort, especially seeing as how you have some basically random platform that likely has its own quirks.

Have you enabled WoL on the interface?

How to chek it and enable?

Also in GUI Network/Interfaces/Edit/Interface Settings/re0 i add in "Options" wol_magic.

Code:
root@truenas[~]# ifconfig re0
re0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=2019<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 04:7c:16:3e:7e:f0
        inet 192.168.1.146 netmask 0xfffff

Last edited:

NAGL95

Dabbler
Check your sleep state in the BIOS and change it to S3 or S4 if it's not already. Then re-boot into Truenas and shutdown. Then try WOL again.

You also don't say if you are using Truenas or Scale or if you have checked that the NIC is setup for WOL Magic Packet. But first try the S3 or S4 in the BIOS.
Can't find S3 or S4 sleep state, as understand for MSI motherboard's it's ErP option.

Paul5

Contributor
options=2019<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,WOL_MAGIC>
Seems to be on.

If your BIOS lets you, create a back of current settings and then switch on other possible settings such as PCI and not just PCI-E. I have had PC's that needed 3 or more settings to enable WOL.

GBillR

Contributor
How to chek it and enable?
My experience with WOL on these consumer MBs is that it almost never works. In cases where it does, there are typically at least 2 different settings in BIOS that need to be "right"... and almost always, one of those in in the LAN configuration pages....

That said... have you looked at the BIOS manual? Take a look at System\Advanced\Wake Up Event Setup as described on page 22 of the pdf manual (attached, but available from the MSI website for your MB here). Look for "Resume by Intel Onbaord LAN... or something similar.

Does that point you in the right direction?

Attachments

• Intel500BIOS.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 159

NAGL95

Dabbler
My experience with WOL on these consumer MBs is that it almost never works. In cases where it does, there are typically at least 2 different settings in BIOS that need to be "right"... and almost always, one of those in in the LAN configuration pages....

That said... have you looked at the BIOS manual? Take a look at System\Advanced\Wake Up Event Setup as described on page 22 of the pdf manual (attached, but available from the MSI website for your MB here). Look for "Resume by Intel Onbaord LAN... or something similar.

Does that point you in the right direction?
I saw datasheet on MB and described option for BIOS, it's done.

As i understand MB's must work with WOL from box and havn't any interconnection with OS.

Look like my issue goahed with hardware problem. Maybe manufacturing defect?

Attachments

• Shell_TrueNAS.png
    Shell_TrueNAS.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Wakeup event setup.png
    Wakeup event setup.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 290
  • PowerManagmentSetup.png
    PowerManagmentSetup.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IntegratedPheripherals.png
    IntegratedPheripherals.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 286

NAGL95

Dabbler
Seems to be on.

If your BIOS lets you, create a back of current settings and then switch on other possible settings such as PCI and not just PCI-E. I have had PC's that needed 3 or more settings to enable WOL.
Did it yeastarday by clear CMOS and reflash BIOS version. No result.

As Interesting that wake up from USB work well. If i move mouse or push keyboard key NAS boot.

Whattteva

Wizard
My experience with WOL on these consumer MBs is that it almost never works.
It's funny that my experience has been the complete opposite. WoL on my gamer PC's have always worked flawlessly straight out of the box without having to modify any settings in the BIOS all with Realtek NIC's to boot.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's funny that my experience has been the complete opposite. WoL on my gamer PC's have always worked flawlessly straight out of the box without having to modify any settings in the BIOS all with Realtek NIC's to boot.

It used to be that you would have to wire a special signal cable from the ethernet card to a header on the mainboard. However, the mainboard still needs to deliver standby power to the ethernet card so that it may link to the switch and listen. This usually happens at 10Mbps, which can be a problem on some newer switches that do not even support 10Mbps. Modern designs then generate a Power Management Event (PME) signal on the PCIe to alert the system that something has happened. This basically requires a lot of moving pieces to work together, including:

1) a mainboard that correctly provides standby power
2) a switch that supports 10Mbps
3) an ethernet card that supports PoE and generates PME
4) an operating system that knows how to configure the PoE support on the ethernet chipset
5) a mainboard that properly processes the PME signal and turns on

Lots of room for things to go wrong.

GBillR

Contributor
You've been luckier than me then... I seem to be about 50/50 with WoL actually working in my network setup.

Look like my issue goahed with hardware problem. Maybe manufacturing defect?
Probably not a defect... probably just not going to work would be my guess. I do not see a BIOS option for you to enable WoL for your LAN device... only from the Intel WiFi device... could be your BIOS is a potential source of the issue.

Have you looked at trying to see if the packet is arriving with tcpdump as described in this thread?

GBillR

Contributor
Hello every one!

I have a question... what are you really trying to accomplish? Is the NAS located in a remote location that is inaccessible? Are you planning to power it off every day and want to be able to remotely turn it back on at a regular interval?

There may be other options. I once setup a backup NAS that I set to automatically turn on via BIOS at a predetermined time every evening (which most every BIOS I have seen supports), and had a cron job that would shut it down every morning...

OR, another BIOS option that almost always works is the power on following AC power restoration. You could use a smart plug (typically accessible from anywhere on the planet if connected to your WiFi) to cycle to AC power whenever you wanted to start up the NAS. This obviously has risk... as you add another potential point of AC power failure to your setup... but as long as you are certain to only cycle that switch when you know the NAS is powered off... might be a risk you would be willing to take.

Paul5

Contributor
When shut down NAS any LAN LED indicators don't blink or light
I just looked at one of my PC's and there are no NIC lights when shutdown. WOL works, so you having no lights may mean nothing, just extra power saving mode (no LED's).

Ok, I have other suggestions:

Read your MBs manual and see if there is a jumper that needs to be changed. For example, my PC's need jumpers changed if I want USB power when the PC's are shutdown.

You said it will boot via USB mouse movement then I would say the Power supply 5vsb is good and not week. So their could be something wrong with the NIC. I think it's a setting somewhere.

From Windows I use: WakeMeOnLan Boot your NAS and do a scan with this utility from windows. You could be trying to wake the wrong PC, IP or MAC address or being blocked by something. I use it to wake PC's and it has never failed. It's freeware and no ads or other that I remember as well as from memory, no install needed, just unzip and start it up, scan for running PC's, shut them down and boot them with WOL.

You could also unplug everything install a temp HDD and install Windows then under Device Manager > Network Adapter > Your NIC set it up/confirm that it is enabled for Magic Packer and it is allowed to wake the computer, then test it out to wake from another PC using the utility above. This way if you will have tried to systems.

Failing all that there is a far more compecated method I use but not worth anybodys effort apart from mine. So in your case since you don't specify how you want to use I would then go with GBillR suggestions above.

NAGL95

Dabbler
Have you looked at trying to see if the packet is arriving with tcpdump as described in this thread?
Thanks for attached thread, yestarday ckecked it and found that WoL from router didn't recognized by NAS, WoL sended from PC was catched by tcpdump on NAS. After that i shut down NAS and tried again send WoL, it's didn't turn on.
I have a question... what are you really trying to accomplish? Is the NAS located in a remote location that is inaccessible? Are you planning to power it off every day and want to be able to remotely turn it back on at a regular interval?
You are totaly right i will place it inaccessible place and want to have option remote wake up.
OR, another BIOS option that almost always works is the power on following AC power restoration. You could use a smart plug (typically accessible from anywhere on the planet if connected to your WiFi) to cycle to AC power whenever you wanted to start up the NAS. This obviously has risk... as you add another potential point of AC power failure to your setup... but as long as you are certain to only cycle that switch when you know the NAS is powered off... might be a risk you would be willing to take.
Will think about it if can't solve issue with current MB and NIC.

Ok, I have other suggestions:

Read your MBs manual and see if there is a jumper that needs to be changed. For example, my PC's need jumpers changed if I want USB power when the PC's are shutdown.

You said it will boot via USB mouse movement then I would say the Power supply 5vsb is good and not week. So their could be something wrong with the NIC. I think it's a setting somewhere.

From Windows I use: WakeMeOnLan Boot your NAS and do a scan with this utility from windows. You could be trying to wake the wrong PC, IP or MAC address or being blocked by something. I use it to wake PC's and it has never failed. It's freeware and no ads or other that I remember as well as from memory, no install needed, just unzip and start it up, scan for running PC's, shut them down and boot them with WOL.

You could also unplug everything install a temp HDD and install Windows then under Device Manager > Network Adapter > Your NIC set it up/confirm that it is enabled for Magic Packer and it is allowed to wake the computer, then test it out to wake from another PC using the utility above. This way if you will have tried to systems.

Failing all that there is a far more compecated method I use but not worth anybodys effort apart from mine. So in your case since you don't specify how you want to use I would then go with GBillR suggestions above.
Thank for suggestion will try it today.

Whattteva

Wizard
You are totaly right i will place it inaccessible place and want to have option remote wake up.
You should really update your setup to have some kind of BMC for a use case like this.

Paul5

Contributor
If that's the case you may also want to setup for the NAS to boot after power loss in the BIOS. WOL and other auxilliaries may not work after power failure unless it's booted and shutdown first.