Wake On Lan (WoL) does not work despite enabled in BIOS and NIC in TrueNAS SCALE

spirits

Cadet
I'm running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0 on a personal home media server. Since the amount of users is going to be in the single digits, I do not plan on running it 24/7 to save on electricity bills, lessen the burden on the hardware etc and because I'm plain opposed to turning on a system that nobody is going to use.

Shutting down is easy, a simple
Code:
sudo poweroff
on a cron job shuts the machine down at midnight.

Turning it on is harder. I figured I could turn WoL, since the motherboard supports it and the NIC supports it, but I've ran into issues there, I followed the guides I found but it is still not turning on. After finding a thread here about how trash Realtek drivers are, I've gone out of my way to purchase an Intel-based NIC to try using WoL with that, but no luck.

Hardware Information​

What I've Done So Far​

1. Enabled WoL in the BIOS of the motherboard (Power On by PCI), I have confirmed that setting is still on
  2. Enabled WoL on the NIC in the Shell at first on the motherboard NIC using ethtool
  3. Enabled WoL on the PCI Intel NIC using ethtool
  4. Changed network configuration to enable WoL after a reboot and confirmed it stays on after a reboot (using files in etc/network/interfaces.d)
  5. After failures, disabled the Realtek NIC using the TrueNAS SCALE UI so that all traffic runs through the Intel NIC
  6. Confirmed that the Intel NIC is the only one in use by disconnecting the LAN port of the motherboard and only using the Intel NIC
At this point, I'm out of ideas. Ethtool shows status g for both NICs. The only discrepancy I see is that
Code:
ifconfig [NIC]
does not show that WoL with the magic packet is on despite ethtool saying that it is.

Code:
admin@truenas[~]# sudo ifconfig enp4s0
enp4s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.0.2  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.0.0.255
        inet6 fe80::9ab7:85ff:fe00:3f5  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 98:b7:85:00:03:f5  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 28211  bytes 24583721 (23.4 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 30019  bytes 27449120 (26.1 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
        device memory 0xf7200000-f72fffff 

admin@truenas[~]# sudo ethtool enp4s0
Settings for enp4s0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        MDI-X: off (auto)
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes

I'm out of ideas at this point. The guides that I followed were ASUS' for the BIOS (really just finding the APM settings and switching on power on by pci) and the WakeOnLan guide on the Debian wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/WakeOnLan#Enabling_WOL

After that it was just endless internet searches. A couple of them lead me here.

Paul5

Contributor
The 'g' is an abbreviation for 'Magic Packet'

Going from very old memory here. On some PC's for wake on LAN it's not always obvious, in one case I needed 3 BIOS settings that had to be on to make it work.

**** I just tried on an old PC with Scale 22.02.4 that I sometimes test. WOL was on 'd' and I changed to 'g' I also had to change the sleep state to S3 and it worked for me. If all else fails try resetting the NIC.

spirits

Cadet
I've found out that you can test packet reception with netcat on truenas so I used that and realized that I was not even receiving them so I think the error was in my router not relaying them. I've fixed it by not relying on WoL and just getting a smart electro socket and setting my server's MoBo settings to turn on at power.

artlessknave

Wizard
in my own attempts to use WOL, i had no choice but to conclude that it is utter garbage.
getting a board with IPMI will be a far, far, far better experience.
or maybe a BliKVM / PiKVM

Whattteva

Wizard
It's funny how my experience has been the complete opposite. WoL has always worked out of the box for me. Never even have to muck around in BIOS. All on gamer gear and Realtek NIC's too lol.