TrueNAS 13.0 U3.1 - Installation hangs

ihr

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm trying to install TrueNAS 13.0 U3.1 in a completely new PC and it hangs with a black screen and a white cursor on the left top corner of the screen just a few seconds after I press option 1 in the boot menu.

I tested 2 different USB memory devices, one is USB 3.0 and the other is USB 2.0. Both have the same problem
I tested to burn proxmox iso on one of the USB memory pen and it works as expected. No issues and all the hardware is recognized

The hardware is:

CPU: Intel S1700 Core i7 12700K Box 12x3,6 125W WOF GEN12
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI - ITX Intel LGA 1700 (VRM de 8+1 phases, RAM DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 6, LAN 2,5 Gb.
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 32GB 5600MT/s DDR5 CL40 DIMM (One single module) - KF556C40BB-32
M.2 Hard drives where I want to install the OS: 2 x Samsung MZ-V7S250BW
Additional HDD to be added later: 4x Seagate Technology IronWolf NAS ST6000VN001 - HHDD 6 TB, 3,5 Inches, SATA, 6 GB/s, 256 MB, 5400 r.p.m.

ihr

Dabbler
I've to add, I installed TrueNAS in a virtual PC inside Proxmox for testing the process a couple of days ago and everything went well. I'm surprised it doesn't show the blue menu.

I added a picture of the black screen with the white cursor up-left. Also, I tried to enable all 3 options in the start menu (safe mode, single user and verbose) but nothing changes. The output is still the same. The installation process is freeze.

Attachments

• IMG_0144 Pequeño.jpeg
    IMG_0144 Pequeño.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 211

ihr

Dabbler
Additional information:

I've tested burning the ISO onto a 500Gb hard drive with USB connection and booting from it.

The very first time the computer boots there is this message (GTP header corruption has been detected) I fix this by following instructions provided in the screen capture. Maybe that recovery process is damaging the rest of the boot process?

Attachments

• IMG_0146 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0146 Mediano.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 217

ihr

Dabbler
Hi,

I think I'm narrowing down the problem, but unfortunately, there is no possible solution without the help from TrueNAS staff.

1. I flashed a real hard drive and installed the hard drive via a SATA port. The idea was to make sure there was no problems with the USB drives or something like that.

2. I verified the instructions about how to install TrueNAS and the installation process encourages to disable SecureBoot (which I did, see pictured below)

3. Once the computer tries to boot from the SATA drive the same message appears (GPT header corruption) this means that the iso image just downloaded from server is not right? I'll check the checksum and report back to this thread.

4. Checked if it is possible to entirely disable SecureBoot, but that option is grey in my motherboard and cannot be enabled without connecting an external video card? I don't have an external video card available and the motherboard is so small that there is no space to plug one. I want to be able to use the only one PCI available to plug a 10Gbit network card in a couple of months.

Additional image captures with comments:
1) IMG_146: AMI Bios message, note, the HDD is attached now to a SATA bus and the GPT message persist, either the original media is corrupt or it is not "trusted" by the motherboard.

2) IMG_150: It looks like it is NOT POSSIBLE to disable Secure Boot at all. What I can do is to manually load a digital signature from a USB flash drive. TRUENAS Staff, can you provide one?

3) IMG_151: Secure Boot Mode is set to Custom, as indicated in the documentation.

4) IMG_151: CSM Compatibility mode can't be disabled

I need help!

Attachments

• IMG_0146 2 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0146 2 Mediano.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0150 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0150 Mediano.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0151 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0151 Mediano.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0152 Mediano.jpeg
    IMG_0152 Mediano.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 190

ihr

Dabbler
Hi,

Just to confirm that the file downloaded matches the checksum so this is also not the issue.

underpickled

Contributor
Hello! I'm having this exact issue and am stuck. Did you ever resolve this?

ihr

Dabbler
I'm glad I'm not the only one. TrueNAS CORE can't be installed on a computer where you can't disable secure boot. I installed TrueNAS SCALE instead