Wake on LAN re0 and config sudo

Billx84

Cadet
Hi community,
I searched on the world wide internet pages. I tried some solutions and result still the same : not working.
I just want to Wake on Line my Truenas but I failed.

System Information
Version:
TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1

ifconfig -a
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
description: Interface Reseau Principale
options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGI C,LINKSTATE>

Can you help me please, my computer is upstairs and my NAS in an other room, long way ^^

Thanks for your help

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Billx84

Cadet
Thanks for your help, I found this post too. So Realtek is not so good or support by freenas? It's better if I install an INTEL networkcard ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So Realtek is not so good or support by freenas?

The Realtek support is basically the same as what is in upstream FreeBSD. In general, they are low quality, bottom of the barrel cards, designed to be an inexpensive option in a computer parts market that is a race to the bottom. Realtek parts are often cloned and sold on the back alley black markets in Shenzhen. These parts sometimes don't work right (or at all) and even with the genuine parts, they weren't that good to begin with.

It's better if I install an INTEL networkcard ?

Your network performance will be better with an Intel card, yes. However, there is no guarantee of WoL support. Systems with PCIe newer than 2.0 are supposed to be able to support WoL through the PCIe connector via PME/WoL signalling, but not all of them do. The truth of the matter is there are a lot of moving parts to WoL and it simply isn't a good technology. You can read about the requirements in the Hardware and Software sections of this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Hardware_implementations

Since we do not advocate shutting down your NAS in these forums, there isn't a whole lot of specific guidance available for this ill-advised activity.