TrueNAS might not be for you, if you are home user.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Davvo

MVP

Whattteva

Wizard
Windows PowerShell natively supports SSH. Nothing extra is needed. No additional software must be installed. Just launch PowerShell (the same as you would any terminal in Linux) and ssh into your server.
If you're a developer like me and already have git installed for development work, you can also just use the git bash shell that comes with it.

Windows 10 (and later) includes an SSH client; there's no need for PuTTY, Bitvise, or any other third-party client.
Interesting, type ssh and nothing comes up, but open a cmd session and then type ssh and it works. I didn't know that's where they stuck it.

Thing is, I don't want to be a MS Windows expert because it's a moving target. I used to write software for the platform and simple stuff was easy, anything complex was pretty much guaranteed to not work and need a workaround. For example: Long Pointers in C, MS invented their own pointer convention--what a mess, and it's pretty much that way with everything, even simple user stuff like an Access database works until trying to link code to a real database, then it breaks and the 'work-arounds' come into play, about the time you get everything working they upgrade Access and deprecate the database access modules and require the code you wrote be re-written for the new DLL modules that...as you'll discover have new, undocumented, 'unknown' bugs and require new 'work-arounds' for pretty basic stuff--huge waste of time. I gave up on MS Certifications and such years ago and waited for Corporate to choke on MS licensing expenses; now they pay me to save them money with UN*X-like products such as TrueNAS, and because UN*X stuff doesn't break there's the added benefit of me sleeping during 40% of my workday (that's an approximate figure, the actual number may be significantly higher...).

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
Thing is, I don't want to be a MS Windows expert because it's a moving target.
I mean, MS doesn't have a monopoly on being a moving target. The Linux world is just as guilty here. Many "wheels" are constantly reinvented, like ip, udev, ALSA, pulseaudio.... and of course, the biggest offender of all, systemd, which replaces way too many things to even list them all.

I would actually argue Linux is far more of a moving target than Windows is. I mean Windows XP was supported for like TWO decades! If that's not stability, I don't know what is.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Interesting, type ssh and nothing comes up, but open a cmd session and then type ssh and it works. I didn't know that's where they stuck it.
What do you mean by "type ssh"? One types in a command window ...

Whattteva

Wizard
Probably into the "Search Windows" box. That doesn't work.
Which makes sense I'd say because that doesn't work on MacOS Spotlight either. You have to open up a terminal window first.

Probably into the "Search Windows" box. That doesn't work.
That's exactly it. The Win10 menus are pages deep with disorganized folders and sub-folders. Under Programs there's Intel, Maintenance, Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2014, Startup, Windows Accessories, Windows Administrative Tools, Windows Ease of Access, Windows PowerShell, Windows System, ...what a mess.

Why is that all under Programs instead of Settings? Why do I have to open Windows System or Control Panel to get to more folders BUT in a different layout, one of which is Administrative Tools? Which, by the way, is different than Windows Administrative Tools and opens...get this...a set of folders. Painfully stupid.

Why Programs and Apps folders? Do I really have to think about if a program is a program or an app before trying to run it???

This is why in Win10 one pretty much has to use the Search box to get to the destination goal. Linux...not so much. Linux isn't perfect, but doing straightforward stuff generally works, unlike in Windows where there's little that's not under layers of obfuscation.

TrueNAS, for as complex a server as it is, works brilliantly. Super easy by comparison, it works and works well. Personally, I like config files as I find the settings easier to manage and TrueNAS doesn't like those being messed with, but at least for a menu-driven system (like Windows) TrueNAS works and is rock-solid.

I mean, MS doesn't have a monopoly on being a moving target. The Linux world is just as guilty here. Many "wheels" are constantly reinvented, like ip, udev, ALSA, pulseaudio.... and of course, the biggest offender of all, systemd, which replaces way too many things to even list them all.

I would actually argue Linux is far more of a moving target than Windows is. I mean Windows XP was supported for like TWO decades! If that's not stability, I don't know what is.
systemd is a horrible mess of 12 frostings put onto a cake by a 4-year-old.

You're confused about Windows XP--being used for 20 years because everything that came after is bloated, incompatible, slow, and 'sucks worse' does not at all mean XP was stable. XP was relatively stable if you shut it down every night and restarted in the morning. XP was relatively stable if you didn't do freaky things with it...oh, bad memories of my ex... Anyway, XP was like OS/2 by comparison to what followed, but that doesn't make it great, nor "stable," unless you think "stable" is a smoking-hot gal in a skin-tight dress that only over-snorts and passes out in public occasionally.

TrueNAS is stable. TrueNAS is Dr. Harleen Quinzel...though adding Virtual Machines or tweaking config files makes it more like Harley Quinn after she met the Joker.

suicide_squad___dr__harleen_quinzel__1__by_newyunggun-dax006o[1].jpg

Last edited:
Install and customize OpenShell. It makes Windows 10 that much better.
There's an upgrade to Classic Shell??? LOVE IT!!!

I'll probably mess with it later, right now I'm flirting with Elaine, she's here for a meeting and...anyway, back to not working...

Whattteva

Wizard
systemd is a horrible mess of 12 frostings put onto a cake by a 4-year-old.
We are in agreement here.
You're confused about Windows XP--being used for 20 years because everything that came after is bloated, incompatible, slow, and 'sucks worse' does not at all mean XP was stable. XP was relatively stable if you shut it down every night and restarted in the morning. XP was relatively stable if you didn't do freaky things with it...oh, bad memories of my ex...
I'm not confused at all. In fact, I think you are the one confusing it. You were talking about Windows being a "moving target" for development. So I talked about stability in the context of development platform and ABI stability (read: backwards compatibility), NOT system stability. Completely deprecating long-standing established tools and init system is the extreme opposite of being development-stable. In this context, yes, nothing can rival Windows XP in terms of LTS.

You are now confusing it with system stability. The whole point of me bringing up systemd and all the wheels that Linux always constantly reinvents is to make that point that as a development platform, Linux doesn't really fit my definition of being development-stable. Ubuntu LTS and Debian are the closest things that emulates this stability, but even they still capitulate to RedHat pressure and ultimately capitulate to the rewritten tools.

Last edited:
We are in agreement here ...[about]... Windows being a "moving target" for development. The whole point of me bringing up systemd and all the wheels that Linux always constantly reinvents is to make that point that as a development platform, Linux doesn't really fit my definition of being development-stable. Ubuntu LTS and Debian are the closest things that emulates this stability, but even they still capitulate to RedHat pressure and ultimately capitulate to the rewritten tools.
I got distracted with Elaine...

I use Ubuntu and Gentoo (without systemd), so to me they seem platform stable, though we agree XP is probably even better in that regard.

I'm still distracted...maybe I should send her a txt....our meetings are boring anyway--at least now that they stopped 'requiring' I attend.

For me (who's not necessarily lazy but also not overly-motivated to do more work than necessary) that's a lot of unnecessary work. Again, it's just me, but I'd select Quick Format and Dynamic to accomplish the same result, but...you do you; I'm good with it.

For a normal fat container (not sparsely provisioned) I'd definitely use Quick Format as TrueNAS will handle the rest.

(This is probably why I have so much time to stare out the window and listen to music "at work.")

What about "Elaine"? :wink:
An attractive blonde with long hair, business skirt, very sharp mini-blazer, and high heels was wandering around the halls of our building looking lost. I only noticed because I had nothing better to do, which for me is considered "busy as usual." I shot her a smile through the door of my office and she walked in.

"Hi, I'm Elaine," she said with a smile. Looking at her -for what was probably far too long- I'm not sure how old she is, she's curvier than 25, but has no hand wrinkles so not 42, and it's also not her blazer I'm staring at. I reflexively smile. "I'm here for a meeting," she says with a distinctive voice.

I don't know about you, but something that vague to me has overtones of interest in anything but "the meeting." Now I have to pry from her what "the meeting" is about, and I'm all-in.

Of course I had her txt my cell "just in case" she needed anything else...like finding her way back to the parking structure, or dinner.

And yes, due to the distractions I was now faced with while waiting for "the meeting" to end I did txt her, and we've been txting back-and-forth since. Apparently the "mandatory corporate meetings" for which my presence is "no longer required" (possibly due to passing out Jello Shots, not sure) remain just as boring as any other "mandatory corporate meeting." (How you can tell, by the way, is use of the word "mandatory.")

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
An attractive blonde with long hair, business skirt, very sharp mini-blazer, and high heels was wandering around the halls of our building looking lost. I only noticed because I had nothing better to do, which for me is considered "busy as usual." I shot her a smile through the door of my office and she walked in.
Unfortunately for me, the only Elaine I know is the spunky & spicy brunette from Seinfeld. The one and only Elaine Benes.

They get a break at 3PM, but are running late...and Elaine is thinking of ditching the meeting since she's technically already "attended." It's 89°F outside, and I'm already getting ideas...what woman doesn't want to see the local parks? I bet she overheats in those dress clothes....

OH, uh, TrueNAS! Back on topi--got a txt, time to play Tour Guide...

Wow, what a weekend! I am sun-burnt and in rough shape for a monday.

Milwakee weather was beautiful and sunny, not to hot (82°F), not too cold...well, nights got down to 55°F, so let's say that was a favorable temperature for, uh, it was all good. :wink:

Unfortunately this means the only TrueNAS server work I got done was backing up a jumpdrive that got wiped out by an errant user (me, due to being distracted).
Code:
# Duplicate_Disk show_progress input_file=<jumpdrive> output_file=<local_file>
dd status=progress if=/dev/sdc of=./kingston_jumpdrive.iso

The plan is to mount the copy as if it was a drive and use file recovery software, but right now there's other work to be done: We had a power outage over the weekend due to storms and ongoing power fluctuations, and not all the Microsoft-based products came back up, so roughly half the network worked, half M.I.A., backups are (nobody knows), the end result is a Microsoft Mess. Eh, this is what they pay me for...well, mostly they pay me to enjoy the weather and superfluous stuff, but when their bacon is getting fried I'm the guy who turns off the heat.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
We don't care about your tech stuff. Tell us about the lady.
Friday afternoon Elaine sends a text they were taking a break and she was starving because of missing breakfast trying to make the 9AM meeting, for which she was late because she was standing in my office and I had no idea it started at 9AM like every other "mandatory corporate meeting" due to the company no longer sending me a notice. (Okay, that's a lie, I was unintentionally staring at her mini blazer and hadn't given any consideration to a "start time.")

Due to a planning oversight nobody ordered lunch so at 1PM when someone said they were diabetic... To make matters worse someone gave the wrong address and didn't inform security, so it took far longer than...anyway, I sent her a txt the food cart was rolling down the hall and would be there any second. She replied, "not interested" to which I replied, "???" and she shot back "gross, meet you at the restrooms."

I don't personally find Cousin's or Subway "gross," which is what they normally order, but put that on hold for a minute. Elane bolted out of the meeting room and was looking for the restrooms, as were the rest of the attendees who were right behind her. I shot out of my chair to help. "Follow me."

I led them to the restrooms and mouthed the words "follow me" to Elane to which she mouthed back "I Really Have To Go" while blatantly jabbing her pointing finger toward the restrooms....subtle. I shot back an eye-roll accompanied by a head swing and she started my way so I headed for the stairwell. "The restrooms are small, you won't all fit, this is faster." Down one floor I said, "Same location, different floor, I'll wait here."

Time seemed to stop, but it was only a few minutes, however it was long enough for me to ponder what sort of leaf-munching vegetarian vegan fut-smutchery I got myself into. She blew threw the door nearly scaring the crap out of me and said, "Thanks you're a savior know of a good steak joint my treat" all smashed together like that. Right about now I was wishing that Acura NSX had happened.

I had a company credit card on me because business things like this happen, and I wanted this to happen. As we sat down she asked, "Mind if I make myself comfortable?" and proceeded to remove her blazer. Oh, did I want this to happen.

So I don't know what you call those things, it looks like a white pullover shirt but without sleeves. Under a blazer you'd never know it doesn't have sleeves, and it looks very professional. Under a blazer. Because a blazer has sleeves. At that point it was either me or it was really hot in there. I ordered a potato. The waitress asked if I'd like anything to go with the potato, like a drink, a salad, or perhaps a steak. She had an odd smile on her face. It was at that point I realized it was probably not hot in there.

Last edited: