Is TrueNAS the right solution for Docker in scale v23

naderelos

Dabbler
I am currently on v22.12 of scale and have opted not to configure k3s as part of the set up and just use bare metal docker/compose. I am not going to discuss the merit of using k3s over docker but want to understand what the end game is for TrueNAS scale. I have viewed a few merged PR’s on GitHub:

They clearly show docker being removed given that K3S interacts directly with conainterd. I also know that the argument of enterprise requirements favours orchestration of containers (I have yet to see an enterprise utilise a NAS as an application server, perhaps small to medium business but not enterprise).

Will IXSystems, enforce K3S or will I still have the option of not configuring it and manually installing docker/compose? I’m not asking for IXSystem
S to bake in a solution for Docker but for a way for me to do it myself that doesn’t break TrueNAS by removing K3S and installing Docker/Compose.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you want to use docker compose (for now), you can use the solution provided by TrueCharts (which I suggest you would then extend by making that first compose app portainer, then using portainer to launch further compose apps).

Know that the intent for SCALE is to allow SCALE-out... eventually arriving for apps too, meaning docker won't be enough and K3s will be needed (the reason why it started there already).

SCALE is intended to not necessarily be seen as a NAS only, but rather a part of hyper-converged infrastructure, so indeed companies may decide to run their apps on it, particularly with enterprise support from iX.

Also know that docker as the container engine in SCALE is on its way out as you have correctly identified.

If you want to dedicate the resources of the machine to docker, run a VM and do what you want in there with docker (or just run a bare-metal docker host).

If you remove system components from SCALE and/or add some, plan to be interrupted by each update to the system. Things will break. It will be messy.

naderelos

Dabbler
Thank you for the response, much appreciated.

If I may ask for some clarification. Currently, when installed TrueNAS scale, I choose not to enable/configure the applications subsystem and therefore K3S. This made installing docker/compose straight forward.

Is it iX’s intention to enable by default and preconfigure K3S in the future, or is it always going to be a thing we enable at installation time. The later would be something I would find as an adequate option to allow me to do as I wish with docker.

As a side note, does anyone not see the irony of running a VM to host docker? Docker was invented to address the short comings of VMs ;-)

Docker in docker is a bag of hurt that I’m not prepared to live with when it comes to networking and especially with reverse proxies. Not when I currently have the option of running it directly on docker. If I must do this in the future, then I guess I’ll look at options now.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If all you want is a Linux host with docker and ZFS on it, run Ubuntu.

If you want to work with the appliance that is intended for a bunch of other things than you want, then work with it (making feature requests if you feel the need).

I can already see SCALE is not for you.

Electing not to use the apps feature indeed doesn't launch K3s and you can manually start docker and mess with it on your own... for now... until docker isn't there.

Arwen

MVP
As I have said in other threads on this forum, "TrueNAS is not the NAS to rule them all". And now a new one, "TrueNAS SCALE is not the Container OS to rule them all".

Yes, it might seem like you can shoe horn SCALE into doing what you want now. It is just than TrueNAS, Core or SCALE, is an appliance and not intended for all purposes or manual changes at the OS level.

But, you can do what you want, as long as you want. Good luck.

naderelos

Dabbler
If all you want is a Linux host with docker and ZFS on it, run Ubuntu.

If you want to work with the appliance that is intended for a bunch of other things than you want, then work with it (making feature requests if you feel the need).

I can already see SCALE is not for you.

Electing not to use the apps feature indeed doesn't launch K3s and you can manually start docker and mess with it on your own... for now... until docker isn't there.
You have no idea what all my requirements are to make the statement that “You can already see that TrueNAS is not for me”.

naderelos

Dabbler
As I have said in other threads on this forum, "TrueNAS is not the NAS to rule them all". And now a new one, "TrueNAS SCALE is not the Container OS to rule them all".

Yes, it might seem like you can shoe horn SCALE into doing what you want now. It is just than TrueNAS, Core or SCALE, is an appliance and not intended for all purposes or manual changes at the OS level.

But, you can do what you want, as long as you want. Good luck.
Not the question I asked.

Etorix

Wizard
You have no idea what all my requirements are to make the statement that “You can already see that TrueNAS is not for me”.
Fair comment, but you have not exposed your requirements.

For what it's worth, OpenMediaVault is a Linux-based NAS OS which can install (apparently native) docker.

sretalla