Kubernetes on SCALE for Dummies?

KrisBee

Wizard
Kubernetes on SCALE for Dummies?

I’m a dummy when it comes to clusterology, but as I have the SCALE alpha running a VM I’ve configured kubernetes as per the current dev notes. The ixsystem config runs ks3 with theses options and AFAIU uses kube-router for CNI:

Code:
root@truenas:~# cd /lib/systemd/system/
root@truenas:/lib/systemd/system# cat k3s.service
[Unit]
Description=Lightweight Kubernetes
Documentation=https://k3s.io
Wants=network-online.target

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=notify
KillMode=process
Delegate=yes
# Having non-zero Limit*s causes performance problems due to accounting overhead
# in the kernel. We recommend using cgroups to do container-local accounting.
LimitNOFILE=1048576
LimitNPROC=infinity
LimitCORE=infinity
TasksMax=infinity
TimeoutStartSec=0
Restart=always
RestartSec=5s
ExecStartPre=-/sbin/modprobe br_netfilter
ExecStartPre=-/sbin/modprobe overlay
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/k3s \
    server \
        '--flannel-backend=none' \
        '--disable=traefik,metrics-server,local-storage' \
        '--disable-kube-proxy' \
        '--disable-network-policy' \
        '--disable-cloud-controller' \
        '--node-name=ix-truenas' \
        '--docker' \
root@truenas:/lib/systemd/system#

So how do I get k3s-agent to run on a separate debian node? Which of the server flags have to be used on the agent? I assume the --no-flannel and --docker flags are a must. (I thought docker on the k3s server meant docker must also run on other nodes as it handles the container to container comms in a given pod. But I could be wrong about that. )

My other problem is I have no idea how to set up the CNI on any additional nodes for k3-agent to work.

Don’t know if this is relevant, but I noticed ip forwarding is not set on by default in SCALE. The k3s master node uses version 1.19.0-ks1 (dating from April?). The rancher k3s install scripts currently pull that latest 1.18 version. In true rancher fashion new releases seem pretty frequent.