TrueNAS Scale Free vs Enterprise

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Kind of sad.

Fibre Channel multi-pathing worked very well. Even with longer distances, (where server was in one building and the disk array in another). But, FC was designed to allow switches between servers and disk arrays, which could then be isolated from another switch for the other path.

Of course, it was always a PITA to trouble shoot FC pathing problems. But, in general, lower risk of data corruption.
To be clear, this is talking about removing the "back end" SAS multipathing - the "front end" iSCSI and FC (in Enterprise) MPIO are sticking around.

jose-pr

Dabbler
I would be interested in paying for a Enterprise license that enables additional features on my current hardware. (+30 servers)
Mainly interested in
  • VCenter/Esxi integration
  • KMIP
  • FIPS

jhartbarger

Dabbler
Kind of sad.

Fibre Channel multi-pathing worked very well. Even with longer distances, (where server was in one building and the disk array in another). But, FC was designed to allow switches between servers and disk arrays, which could then be isolated from another switch for the other path.

Of course, it was always a PITA to trouble shoot FC pathing problems. But, in general, lower risk of data corruption.

FC can also be direct-attached without the requirement of a switch, I have been implementing FC since the late 90's and honestly once you "understand" it fully it is very easy to troubleshoot pathing and zoning issues and Infiniband is way less fun to troubleshoot.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
FC can also be direct-attached without the requirement of a switch, I have been implementing FC since the late 90's and honestly once you "understand" it fully it is very easy to troubleshoot pathing and zoning issues and Infiniband is way less fun to troubleshoot.
Now if only those darned FC fabric switches didn't tend to both "sound like" and "have the heat output of" commercial hairdryers.

jhartbarger

Dabbler
Now if only those darned FC fabric switches didn't tend to both "sound like" and "have the heat output of" commercial hairdryers.
True.... True.... but damn it is still the best when it comes uptime (when you storage engineer knows what he/she is doing) the biggest reason organizations are abandoning FC is purely due to COST.

5mall5nail5

Dabbler
Noticed that TrueNAS Scale Enterprise Cobia supporting ALUA - any intentions of bringing it to TrueNAS Scale (non-Enterprise)?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Noticed that TrueNAS Scale Enterprise Cobia supporting ALUA - any intentions of bringing it to TrueNAS Scale (non-Enterprise)?
It's already there in Cobia (23.10) but without a shared-storage HA setup, all of the paths to the same device should have the same ALUA/iSCSI priority.