TrueNAS SCALE 21.04 makes its Debut

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I meant in terms of timeline for a release candidate. Not additions.
Well that is good. Very good.

Plan is 21.08 = feature complete BETA (this includes scale-out SMB and new windows-style ACL editor)

SCALE 21.10 is targeted as RC

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
At which point will SCALE be supported with TrueRack?
SCALE is being supported for a limited number of BETA customers for specific use cases...
With RELEASE, it just becomes a normally supported product.

inman.turbo

Contributor
They have done a wonderful job so far. The ui is very nice, and everything in virtualization is very smooth, and shares and storage work nicely. Apps are not the best UX though. Aside from the fact that I can't seem to get any working, downloading docker images is confusing: it is unclear how the connection string should be built for authenticated registries.

My first attempt I got an error saying kubernetes service wasn't running, so I checked services and it wasn't listed, then after a few more tries it let me create the app, but it seems to be stuck forever in the deploying faze. I tried to simply launch a base alpine container: I was going to install ssh in it and start testing nodeports, dns etc. But I ended up with the alpine container stuck "deploying" forever.

I also tried installing Minio from the official charts, that says it is installed but it won't start. Alpine container is similarly unresponsive: I can't even stop the deployment I let it run while I ate dinner, after a few reboots and a couple hours I just ended up deleting then as they were frozen.

Probably an issue with kubernetes, I'll open a shell and check it out when I get a chance.

Testing on a mini itx board pulled from a TrueNAS Mini XL+ ( All I really did was put it in a small aftermarket 2U rackmount chassis so we would stop tripping over it)

inman.turbo

Contributor
Yeah for whatever reason it is just stuck at "not ready"
k3s.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Yeah for whatever reason it is just stuck at "not ready"
View attachment 48720
Its worth starting a separate thread and a better overview of the whole system and which software version you are running.

Other users don't seem to be having the same issue, so there's something unusual in your setup or there is a bug.

inman.turbo

Contributor
Its worth starting a separate thread and a better overview of the whole system and which software version you are running.

Other users don't seem to be having the same issue, so there's something unusual in your setup or there is a bug.

Fair enough, but it's the same version that is making its debut in this thread. And there's not anything unusual about the setup, just an 8 core A2SDi with a couple of WD reds at the end of a forward breakout plugged into the first SAS port.

I agree though, others don't seem to be having this issue. However I've run into and worked through similar issues many times when deploying kubernetes on my own, and if there's a bug, I will find and report it.