TrueNAS Scale Release Plan

impovich

Explorer
Already updated, container deployed via "Lunch docker image" is migrated and working :), now it is the time for TrueCharts to be tested :)

guyp2k

Dabbler
Question, nightlies in contrast to beta, I would assume the nightlies are more up-to-date than the beta release w/ there being more at risk running the nightlies?

The beta updates will be far less updated as the nightlies?

Thanks

ornias

Wizard
Question, nightlies in contrast to beta, I would assume the nightlies are more up-to-date than the beta release w/ there being more at risk running the nightlies?

The beta updates will be far less updated as the nightlies?

Thanks
Nightlies are notoriosly less stable.
Like INSANELY less stable.

Kasazn

Explorer
Nightlies are notoriosly less stable.
Like INSANELY less stable.

I have been using the latest nightlies and I have to say, they are quite stable. I also did a few fresh installs of Scale and was able to import all my data back easily and without a problem! :)

ornias

Wizard
I have been using the latest nightlies and I have to say, they are quite stable. I also did a few fresh installs of Scale and was able to import all my data back easily and without a problem! :)
N=1
I've spend about half a year on SCALE nightly for TrueCharts development, It has had severe feature-breaking bugs half of the time.

Normal users should not be using Nightly, really.

impovich

Explorer
so far continuously see this :

Code:
kube-system        openebs-zfs-controller-0                  4/5     CrashLoopBackOff   24         68m

impovich

Explorer
Looks like it happened when for example plex is continuously crashing so openebs-zfs-controller-0 is starting to crash, once I stop plex everything returns to normal state.

EDIT: the previous statement is wrong, still see CrashLoopBackOff state for openebs-zfs-controller-0

ornias

Wizard
Looks like it happened when for example plex is continuously crashing so openebs-zfs-controller-0 is starting to crash, once I stop plex everything returns to normal state.

EDIT: the previous statement is wrong, still see CrashLoopBackOff state for openebs-zfs-controller-0
Apps can't effect eachother in that way, luckily :)
(or at least: Very unlikely)

Xgjsjs

Cadet
I want to replace my unraid with truenas scale so that I can mount iscsi and nfs shares to vsphere. I realize that truenas scale is not Prod ready yet but does it have atleast the NAS bit rocksolid?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, it's ALPHA software. It's a complex software system with tons of complex interactions, and very few miles on it due to the switch to Linux. If you want something solid to serve iSCSI and NFS, TrueNAS Core is probably the best choice, stay on whatever the latest 11 version is.

Xgjsjs

Cadet
No, it's ALPHA software. It's a complex software system with tons of complex interactions, and very few miles on it due to the switch to Linux. If you want something solid to serve iSCSI and NFS, TrueNAS Core is probably the best choice, stay on whatever the latest 11 version is.
Thank you. Would there be upgrade path from core to scale?

mkarwin

Dabbler
Thank you. Would there be upgrade path from core to scale?

I doubt it... but once Scale is in a GA state, the migration of the pools and some core system configs might be possible, albeit not as an in-place "upgrade" uption through the UI.

mkarwin

Dabbler
And is there a timeline on the availability of GA release?

The plan I've seen mentioned here multiple times suggests current 21.06 being BETA with most of the BETA-meaning "implemented" here, with 21.08 version (so around August's release) planned to become more or less GA, with the commercially supported PROD version coming even later on in the life time of the product after we test and report all the bugs and the team manages to fix them all/iron them all out ;)