TrueNAS SCALE 21.04 makes its Debut

ornias

Wizard
I would love to upgrade from my current CORE install.
Technically it's closer to a down grade:
Features are not all done yet and your data isn't guaranteed to be safe nor is the system guaranteed to be stable.

But I wonder if I can later easily update from this last alpha to the next beta stage of scale?
That should be possible, but as it's an Alpha and Beta, you can't expect it to 'just work'. So it might actually not work for you ;-)

Also when updating from core to scale is there already some guide or Sth (to keep my pools)
- Export on Core
- Install SCALE
- Import on SCALE

Thats basically it. No guide required.

That being said:
Jails, config and VM's will NOT migrate.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I would love to upgrade from my current CORE install. But I wonder if I can later easily update from this last alpha to the next beta stage of scale?
Also when updating from core to scale is there already some guide or Sth (to keep my pools)
I remember reading somewhere that I need to export and import the pools is that true?
keep it up guys :)
We are testing to make sure its a smooth process, before we recommend it....

kian1991

Cadet
Guys thanks for the head ups. Im aware about the downsides of "migrating". I am following SCALE Development since December 20 and I really would want a debian base with kvm as hypervisor and GPU Passthrough. I just set up CORE two month ago (so relatively fresh NAS). So there will be no lost in terms of jails and VMS. Sure I will have to reinstall plex and set it up again, but no problem with this.

That being said I will wait 3 more month for the first beta haha but I appreciate the tip with the USB Install before I completley switch.

So far this Project is really what I wanted - a awesome NAS UI based on debian (which I am the most familiar with) and I am super excited about every step this projects takes.

Thanks for the great answers ☺️

johnctharp

Cadet
- Export on Core
- Install SCALE
- Import on SCALE
Stopping by to say: I've moved my pools between many distros including being passed through to a VM on a Windows host and have yet had an issue exporting and reimporting them!

Main thing to be concerned about is the feature version of ZFS being the same or higher on the 'gaining' host.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Jails, config and VM's will NOT migrate.

Jails, obviously - also who cares, thank god they'll be gone.
Config is an interesting one, I thought that might eventually come across, like shares and what have you, time zones, accounts etc.
VMs even more surprising actually, it's just a raw file or raw zvol which contains an OS. Hopefully you can create a new VM, import the volume the disk is located, assign correct cores and memory then boot the thing.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Jails, obviously - also who cares, thank god they'll be gone.
Config is an interesting one, I thought that might eventually come across, like shares and what have you, time zones, accounts etc.
VMs even more surprising actually, it's just a raw file or raw zvol which contains an OS. Hopefully you can create a new VM, import the volume the disk is located, assign correct cores and memory then boot the thing.
Manual migration between Bhyve and KVM is possible..... we'd love people to test and report back.
However, at this stage, we have not committed to automatically migrate those VMs... we did not constrain the KVM development to be backward compatible with bhyve. So we are just warning users that "there be dragons"... until we have a few knights go in and slay them methodically.

vampyren

Dabbler
Hi guys,
I been using TrueNAS core for 2 month now and it works great. One of the areas i heavily used with my QNAP has been running windows VM (as well as linux). But in core windows VM runs really badly. It freezes time to time and there are drivers missing and the total experience is not fantastic.
I'm wondering from people here who tried running windows VM specially how you guys experience it?
Has it been improved by allot?
I dont know what qnap uses but i wish its on the same level as that if you have tried it before.
I see the beta is suppose to come on 22:nd of June so i plan to use that but would be good to hear from you guys prior to that. Hopefully its even better after beta releases.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi guys,
I been using TrueNAS core for 2 month now and it works great. One of the areas i heavily used with my QNAP has been running windows VM (as well as linux). But in core windows VM runs really badly. It freezes time to time and there are drivers missing and the total experience is not fantastic.
I'm wondering from people here who tried running windows VM specially how you guys experience it?
Has it been improved by allot?

TrueNAS SCALE uses KVM hypervisor which is very widely used and well supported. Its rock solid.
TrueNAS CORE uses Bhyve hypervisor which is not widely used. It is more commonly used on linux and FreeeBSD VMs.
So, yes, we expect trueNAS SCALE to be superior for VMs. Feedback has been good so far, but it is still BETA.

vampyren

Dabbler
TrueNAS SCALE uses KVM hypervisor which is very widely used and well supported. Its rock solid.
TrueNAS CORE uses Bhyve hypervisor which is not widely used. It is more commonly used on linux and FreeeBSD VMs.
So, yes, we expect trueNAS SCALE to be superior for VMs. Feedback has been good so far, but it is still BETA.
Awesome. This is music to my ears :D Thanks for the info.
Cant wait until the beta is out. Can i upgrade my Core to the Scale or i need to start from scratch?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Awesome. This is music to my ears :D Thanks for the info.
Cant wait until the beta is out. Can i upgrade my Core to the Scale or i need to start from scratch?
CORE to SCALE is a sidegrade... and will be supported for NFS, SMB, iSCSI with SCALE 21.06

danb35

Hall of Famer
Jails, obviously - also who cares,
Yeah, nobody cares about those. Not like anyone's using them. What a profoundly ignorant statement.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Yeah, nobody cares about those. Not like anyone's using them. What a profoundly ignorant statement.

It's fair to say that users of trueNAS SCALE have voted for linux containers and not jails => jails migration is not important for those users. Jails are important for CORE users who plan to stay with CORE.

@diskdiddler . I think at @ornias mean to say "Jails, Plugins and VMs will not migrate.". The general config for NFS, SMB, iSCSI will migrate.

ornias

Wizard
@diskdiddler . I think at @ornias mean to say "Jails, Plugins and VMs will not migrate.". The general config for NFS, SMB, iSCSI will migrate.
Shoot, thanks for the headsup Morgan!

I meant to say "Config currently does not migrate", ofcourse that was not a reference to future possibilities of SCALE as we have discussed by now :smile:

diskdiddler

Wizard

If you truly have use for the jails, more power to you, I suspect you will not likely be a candidate to try out scale.
It would be, *exceedingly* difficult to migrate those as similar functionality in linux works entirely diferently.

I for one tried my hand at the things for a couple of years and eventually woke up and stopped using them. I'm sure, extremely experienced FreeBSD die hards will be enjoying them, but they can't expect migration and also suspect, those smart enough to be working with jails reliably, probably have less need for a linux based backend anyhow.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Shoot, thanks for the headsup Morgan!

I meant to say "Config currently does not migrate", ofcourse that was not a reference to future possibilities of SCALE as we have discussed by now :smile:

I'm extremely happy with how well, Core is running with a single UbuntuVM providing me reliable docker functionality. I'm not entirely sure if even I will move to scale as I get the impression I can't use regular docker containers.

That being said, I hear KVM works really well, so perhaps I can run my UbuntuVM under scale, somehow better than I can, under Core.

inman.turbo

Contributor
Hello Everyone I've been away awhile. Still eagerly awaiting RC. Just checking in to see if anyone knows what the latest goals or expectations are? I know these things can be unpredictable and move around quite a bit. They beta seems to be working quit well but of course is not quite complete.

I have a few systems starting to accumulated data which I need to migrate to nas/hypervisor combination at some point, and I'm wondering whether I should set them up with virtualized CORE, or just wait on SCALE. I still have some time to decide, just wondering aloud here. Believe me, I understand how difficult it can be to nail this stuff down.

ornias

Wizard
Hello Everyone I've been away awhile. Still eagerly awaiting RC. Just checking in to see if anyone knows what the latest goals or expectations are? I know these things can be unpredictable and move around quite a bit. They beta seems to be working quit well but of course is not quite complete.

I have a few systems starting to accumulated data which I need to migrate to nas/hypervisor combination at some point, and I'm wondering whether I should set them up with virtualized CORE, or just wait on SCALE. I still have some time to decide, just wondering aloud here. Believe me, I understand how difficult it can be to nail this stuff down.
The BETA is feature complete already excecpt migration.
There are no things that are really "to be done" besides the migration system. There are no new goals, new expectations etc.